Middleton In Teesdale, market town, par., and
township with ry. sta., Durham, on river Tees, 9 miles
NW. of Barnard Castle—par., 40,938 ac., pop. 4412;
township, 10,497 ac., pop. 2292; P.O., T.O. Market-day,
Saturday. It has extensive lead mines, and is a centre
for visiting the scenery of Upper Teesdale.
Middleton on the Hill, par. and vil., Herefordshire,
5 miles NE. of Leominster, 2921 ac., pop. 392.
Middleton on the Wolds, par. and vil., East-Riding
Yorkshire, 7 miles NE. of Market Weighton, 3664 ac.,
pop. 636; P.O.
Middleton upon Leven, township, Rudby in Cleve-
land par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on river Leven, 4%
miles SE. of Yarm, 1144 ac., pop. 87.
Middletown, township and ry. sta., Alberbury par.,
Montgomeryshire, on E. border of co., 5£ miles NE. of
Welshpool, 736 ac., pop. 102; P.O.
Mlddletowrn, vil., Tynan par., in co. and 9 m. SW.
of Armagh, near Ulster Canal, pop. 348 ; P.O., 1 Bank.
Middlewich, town, par., and township, Cheshire, 5%
miles SE. of Northwich and 166 NW. of London by rail
—par., 13,110 ac., pop. 5205; township, 37 ac., pop.
1325; town, 238 ac., pop. 3379; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1
newspaper. Middlewich was held by the Earl of Mercia
under Edward the Confessor. The town has an antique
appearance. The trade is chiefly in salt, obtained from
brine springs in the neighbourhood; there are small
silk and fustian factories, and considerable quantities
I of fruit and vegetables are raised in the vicinity for the
Liverpool and Manchester markets.
Middlewich Canal, Cheshire; branches from the
Grand Trunk Canal at Middlewich, and goes 9 m. SW.
1 to the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal at War die.
Mlddlewood.—ry. sta. (for Norbury), Cheshire, 5
miles SE. of Stockport. — 2. Middlewood, hamlet,
Dawlish par., Devon, 6% miles SE. of Chudleigh.
Middlezoy, par. and vil., Somerset—par., 2520 ac.,
pop. 565 ; vil., 6 miles SE. of Bridgwater ; P.O.
Middop, township, Gisburn par., N. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 3 m. NW. of Colne, 1161 ac., pop. 64.
Middrldge, township and vil., Auckland St Andrew
par., Durham, 4 miles SE. of Bishop-Auckland, 1160
ac., pop. 853; P.O.
Middridge Grange, township, Auckland St Andrew
and Heighington pars., Durham, 1 mile SAY. of Mid-
dridge, 950 ac., pop. 64.
Midfield House, seat, Lasswade par., Edinburgh-
shire, near Hawthornden ry. sta.
Mldford, vil. with ry. sta., Somerset, 3% miles S. of
i Bath; P.O.; in vicinity is Midford Castle, seat.
Midgard, seat, Cavers par., Roxburghshire, 4 miles
NE. of Hawick.
Midge Hall, ry. sta., Lancashire, 6 miles SW. of
Preston and 9| miles NE. of Ormskirk; P.O.
MIdgeholiue, par., Cumberland, 7% miles E. of
Brampton, 720 ac., pop. 142.
Midgham.—township and vil. with ry. sta., Thatcham
par., Berks, on river Kennet and Kennet and Avon
Canal, 6% miles E. of Newbury, 1436 ac., pop. 298 ; in
vicinity of vil. is Midgliam House, seat.
Midgley.—town and township, Halifax par., N. div.
AATest-Riding Yorkshire, 4% miles NAV. of Halifax—
township (partly in the town of Luddenden Foot), 2629
ac., pop. 3084; town, 2110 ac., pop. 2939; has mfrs.
of cotton and worsted.-—2. Midgley, vil., Thornhill
par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 7% miles NW. of
Mldtiolm, vil., Roxburghshire. See Midlem.
Midliope, eccl. dist., Ecclesfield par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, pop. 237 ; contains the 2 small vils.
of Midliope Stones and Upper Midliope, on river
Little Don, 2% miles SW. of Penistone.
Midliope Tower, ruin, Abercorn par., Linlithgow-
shire, on Midhope Burn, 4 miles W. of South Queens-
ferry ; was once the seat of the earls of Linlithgow.
Mldhnrst, market town and par., Sussex, on river
Bother, 5 miles W. of Petworth, 11N. of Chichester, and
61 SW. of London by rail, 671 ac., pop. 1615; P.O.,T.O.,
1 Bank. Market-day, Thursday. It is supposed that
Midhurst was a large town before the Norman Conquest.
A splendid reception was given to King Edward YI.
here in 1547. At the grammar school (founded 1672)
Sir Charles Lyell, Richard Cobden, and other famous
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)