men, were educated. Midhurst is in the centre of
some fine scenery, but has little trade. It returned 2
members to Parliament from Edward IV. until 1832,
and 1 member from 1832 until 1885.
Midlem, vil., Bowden par., N. Roxburghshire, 4%
miles SE. of Selkirk.
Midleton, ry. sta., co. Cork. See Middleton.
Mldley, par., Kent, 2% miles SW. of New Romney,
2161 ac., pop. 63.
Midleys, mound with ancient Caledonian stone
circles, NAY. border of Croy par., NE. Inverness-shire.
Midlock Water, Crawford par., Lanarkshire ; flows
5% miles NW. to the Clyde, opposite Crawford.
Midloe, par., Huntingdonshire, 3 miles NW. of St
Neots, 850 ac., pop. 35.
Midmar, par., S. Aberdeenshire, 10,868 ac., pop.
1041; P.O.; the church is 5 m. S. of Monymuskry. sta.
Mldney,hamlet,in par. andnear Somerton, Somerset.
Midsoiner Norton, town and par. with ry. sta.,
Somerset, 1% mile W. of Radstock and 10 miles SW. of
Bath, 3922 ac., pop. 4422; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank ; has a
large trade in malting and brewing, and in coal, and
is the seat of a Roman Catholic College (1814), with
Midtown, place with bleachfield, Lochwinnocli par.,
Renfrewshire, 2% miles SW. of Johnstone.
Midville, par., Lincolnshire, 7 miles SW. of Spilsby,
3450 ac., pop. 204.
Mlgdale, hamlei^ Creich par., SE. Sutherland, 3
miles NE. of Ardgay ; P.O.; in vicinity is Lock S3i g-
dale, about 2 miles long and 1 mile broad.
Mighil's (or St Mickaels) Island, off Derby Haven,
in SE. of Isle of Man, 2 miles E. of Castletown; con-
tains the ruins of an old chapel, and of a fort, and is
Connected with Langness by a causeway.
Mlglo, affluent of river Eden, Strathmiglo par., Fife.
Mlgvie, Aberdeen. See Tarland-Migvie.
Mike Mills Kace, principal avenue in St Leonards
Forest, Sussex, E. of Horsham ; contains nearly 16,000
trees, and is 1% mile long.
Mil——. See also Mill .
Mil Dubli Pass, Kilmalie par., Inverness-shire,
between Loch Arkaig and Loch Lochy.
Milker Down, 1% mile E. of Newton Abbot, Devon;
has 2 ancient camps, 1 square and 1 circular ; here the
army of AARliam of Orange encamped in November 1688.
Milborne Port, town and par. with ry. sta., Somer-
set, near SE. border of co., 3% miles NE. of Sherborne
sta. and 8| miles NE. of Yeovil Junction, 3277 ac., pop.
1877 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank ; has mfrs. of gloves, leather,
and shoes. Milborne Port was a place of some conse-
quence in Saxon times, and sent representatives to
Parliament from the time of Charles I. till 1832.
Milborne St Andrew, par. and vil., Dorset, 8 miles
SW. of Blandford and 8% miles NE. of Dorchester,
1717 ac., pop. 309 ; P.O. ; Cardinal Morton (1410-1500),
Archbishop of Canterbury, was a native.
Milborne Stilekam, township, Bere Regis par.,
Dorset, adjacent to Milborne St Andrew, pop. 258.
Milbonrne, township and vil., Kirkby Thore par.,
Westmorland, 6% miles NAV. of Appleby, 7957 ac., pop.
242 ; 1\ m. SE. of vil. is the vil. of Milbonrne Grange.
Milbrex, vil., Fyvie par., and quoad sacra par.,
partly also in Monquhitter par., N. Aberdeenshire—
par., pop. 1406; vil., 6% miles NE. of Fyvie ry. sta.;
P.O., called Millbrex.
Milburn Distillery, in vicinity of Inverness.
Mllburn and Milbnrn Grange, 2 townships, Ponte-
land par., Northumberland, 3% miles NW. of Ponte-
land and 10% miles NW. of Newcastle—Milburn, 1242
ac., pop. 52; Milburn Grange, 618 ac., pop. 30.
Milby, township, partly in Kirby on the Moor par.,
Nortli-Riding Yorkshire, partly in Aldborough par.,
AYest-Riding Yorkshire, near Boroughbridge, 758 ac.,
Milcombe, township and vil., Bloxham par., Oxford-
shire, 4 miles NW. of Deddington, 1255 ac., pop. 221.
Milcotc, ry. sta., Gloucestershire, on NE. border of
co., 3 miles SW. of Stratford-on-Avon.
Mlldcn, par., Suffolk, on river Brett, 5% miles NAV.
of Hadleigh, 1339 ac., pop. 179.
Mililen Lodge, shooting-lodge of the Earl of Dal-
housie, in par. and 8 m. NAY. of Edzell, NE. Forfarshire.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)