Monar, Loch, at the head of Glen Strathfarrar,
Ross and Inverness, 25 miles SW. of Beauly; about 4
miles long and 4 mile broad; Monar Lodge is near
theE. end of the loch.
Monar Deer Forest, AV. of Loch Monar, Ross and
Cromarty, 19,470 ac.; post-town, Beauly.
Monarch Isle, in Windermere.
Monard, 2 miles from Limerick Junction, SW. co.
Monart, par. and seat, mid. co. Wexford, near river
Slaney, 2 m. NW. of Enniscorthy, 13,029 ac., pop. 1850.
Monaseed, seat, 6 m. NW. of Gorey, N. co. AVexford.
Monastcrancnagh, par., mid. co. Limerick, on river
Commogue, 2 miles E. of Croom, 7618 ac., pop. 1158 ;
contains Monaster (P.O.), theseat of Monaster House,
and the ruin of Abbey of Monastcranenagh.
Monasterbolce, par. and seat, S. co. Louth, 5 m. NW.
of Drogheda, 2320 ac., pop. 445; P.O.; contains ruins
of 2 churches, a round tower, and 3 ancient crosses.
Monasterevin or Monasterevan, small market
town and par. with ry. sta., W. co. Kildare, on river
Barrow and Grand Canal, 37 miles SW. of Dublin—
par., 7124 ac., pop. 2694; town, pop. 1044; P.O., T.O.,
1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The town has an
extensive distillery and brewery. It stands on the pro-
perty of the Marquis of Drogheda, whose seat of Moore
Abbey is adjacent. The ruins of an abbey, founded
(7th century) by St Evan, still exist.
Monasterorls (or Castropetre), par., Kings co., on
Grand Canal, 15,762ac., pop. 3151; contains Edenderry.
Monanghty, 44 m. SW. of Knighton, Radnor; P.O.
Monavullagh Mountains, mid. co. Waterford, ex-
tending between the neighbourhoods of Kilmacthomas
Monboddo House, seat, in par. and 2 miles NW. of
Fordoun ry. sta., Kincardineshire; was the birthplace
of the judge and philosopher James Burnett, Lord
Monck . See also Monk .
Monckton (or Pembroke St Nicholas), par., in co.
and partly in bor. of Pembroke, 4351 ac., pop. 1657.
Monckton Bishop, York. See Bishop Monckton.
Monckton Combe, par., Somerset, on Radford
Canal, 24 miles SE. of Bath, 720 ac., pop. 1495; P.O.,
called Monkton Combe ; bath stone is quarried.
Monckton Deverill, par., AVilts, on river Deverill,
4 miles NE. of Mere, 1735 ac., pop. 127; a monastery
was founded here in the 11th century.
Monckton Tarrant,Dorset. See Tarrant Monckton.
Monckton up Wimborne, hundred, Dorset, 11,115
ac., pop. 1450.
Moncreiffe Mouse, seat of the Moncreiffe family,
Dunbarney par., Perthshire, at the S. base of Moncreiffe
Hill, 1 mile NE. of Bridge of Earn and 3 miles SE. of
Perth; Moncreiffe (or Moredun) Hill, 725 ft. high,
occupies part of the peninsula between the rivers Tay
and Earn, and commands a magnificent view; its AV.
shoulder is pierced by a railway tunnel 990 yards long.
Moncur Castle, ruined fortalice, in par. and near
Inchture vil., Perthshire.
Mondrum, Cheshire. See Aston juxta Mondrum.
Mondynes, place with ancient monolith, Fordoun
par., Kincardineshire, 14 m. SW. of Drumlithie ry. sta.
Monea, 5 miles NW. of Enniskillen, mid. co. Fer-
managh ; P.O.
Monearn, mt., Kincardineshire. See Cairnmonearn.
Monega Hill, near N. extremity of Glenisla par.,
Forfarshire, alt. 2917 ft.
Moness Falls, on Urlar Burn, near Aberfeldy, Perth-
shire ; there are 3 falls, the highest being a sheer leap
of 50 ft.; they are celebrated in Burnss Birks o Aber-
feldy ; Moness House, seat, is adjacent to Aberfeldy.
Moncwden, par. and vil., Suffolk, 44 miles NW. of
Wickham Market, 1088 ac., pop. 220.
Money, hamlet, co. Cavan. See Milltown.
Moneydie, par., Perthshire, 4438 ac., pop. 233; the
church is 2 miles W. of Luncarty ry. sta. and 6 miles
NW. of Perth.
Moneydlg, 4 m. E. of Garvagh, co. Londonderry; P.O.
Moneygall, vil., Cullenwaine par., S. Kings co., 8
miles SW. of Roscrea, pop. 376 ; P.O., t.o.
Moneyglass, seat, 3 miles NW. of Randalstown,
SW. co. Antrim.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)