Monquhttter, par., N. Aberdeenshire, 17,433 ac.,
pop. 2794; contains Cuminestonc, 6 m. E. of Turriff.
Monragh, agricultural school, co. Cavan; post-town,
Monreagh, hamlet, Killea par., E. co. Donegal.
Monrelth, hamlet, Glasserton par., Wigtownshire,
on MonreithBay, 54 miles AY. of Whithorn ; Monreltli
House, seat, Mochrum par., is 1 mile N. of hamlet and
lj mile SE. of Port AVilliam.
Mons Hill, in par. and 1 mile NE. of Dalmeny ry.
sta., Linlithgowshire, near Firth of Forth; commands
a fine view.
Monsal Dale, ry. sta., in Monsal Dale, Derbyshire,
34 miles NAY. of Bakewell; the dale, on river Wye, is,
after Dove Dale, one of the finest in Derbyshire.
Monsea, par., N. co. Tipperary, on Lough Derg, 3
miles NAY. of Nenagh, 5024 ac., pop. 650.
Mont . See also Mount .
Mont Mado Quarries (of pink syenite), in N. of
Jersey, Channel Islands, near Bonne Nuit Harbour.
Mont Orguell Castle, on E. coast of Jersey, Channel
Islands, at N. extremity of Grouville Bay, near Gorey;
was an important fortress, dating from time of Henry II.,
and is now a picturesque ruin.
Montacute, par, and vil. with ry. sta., Somerset, 4
miles AY. of Yeovil, 1485 ac., pop. 859; P.O.; has quarries
of magnesian limestone, an ancient camp, remains of a
Cluniac priory, and the site (marked by a tower) of a
strong castle ; Montacute House, seat, is an imposing
structure built in 1580-1601.
Montalto, seat, near Ballynahinch, mid. co. Down.
Monteith, Perthshire. See Menteith.
Montcrlony, mountain, 10 miles NE. of Newtown-
Stewart, N. co. Tyrone, alt. 1432 ft.
Montfode Castle, ruined fortalice, in par. and 14
mile NW. of Ardrossan, Ayrshire, on Montfode Burn.
Montford, par. and vil., Shropshire, on river Severn,
5 miles NW. of Shrewsbury, 3137 ac., pop. 500; P.O.,
called Montford Bridge.
Montgarswood, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles E. by
N. of Mauchline, Ayrshire.
Montgevlin Castle, ruin, near St Johnstown, E. co.
Montgomerie, seat, in par. and 1 mile NE. of Tar-
bolton ry. sta., Ayrshire, 0x1 the AYater of Faile ; was
formerly called Coilsfield, and is celebrated by Burns in
the song of Highland Mary.
Montgomery.—parl. bor., par., and co. town of Mont-
gomeryshire, 7 miles S. of AVelshpool and 181 NAY. of
London by rail, 3323 ac., pop. 1194; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Thursday. Montgomery is a very old
place, having claims even to an ancient British origin.
Of the castle, a fortress founded in the reign of AVilliam
the Conqueror, very slight remains exist; it was re-
duced by the Parliamentarians. There are no mfrs.
Montgomery is a corporate town, with charter of .1st
Henry VII. The Montgomery District of Parliament-
ary Boroughs (including Montgomery, Llanfyllin, Llan-
idloes, Machynlleth, Newtown, and Welshpool) returns
1 member to Parliament.—2. Montgomery, hundred,
Montgomeryshire, 43,498 ac., pop. 5597.
Montgomeryshire, inland county of North AA'ales,
bounded N. by Denbighshire, E. and SE. by Shrop-
shire, S. by Radnorshire, SAV. by Cardiganshire, and
W. and NW. by Merioneth ; greatest length, 37 miles ;
greatest breadth, 30 miles; area, 495,089 ac., pop.
65,718. Montgomeryshire is almost wholly mountain-
ous and bare, but on the Shropshire side there are
some fertile and beautiful valleys. The principal rivers
are the Severn (with its affluents the Vyrnwy, Tanat,
and Rhiw) and the Dovey. Excellent harvests of
wheat, oats, barley, &c., are gathered in the valleys;
but in the higher districts the soil is poor, consisting
mostly of moorland and sheep-walks. A superior breed
of sheep is raised, also the fine description of AYelsh
ponies known as Merlins. (For agricultural statis-
tics, see Appendix.) The principal mineral product is
slate. AYelsh flannel is the staple mfr. Montgomery-
shire contains 9 hundreds, 68 pars, with parts of 3
others, the Montgomery Boroughs (1 member), and the
mun. bors. of Llanidloes and AArelshpool. It is in the
dioceses of Bangor, Hereford, and St Asaph. It returns
1 member to Parliament.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)