Montgomeryshire Canal, from Newtown NE. along
Severn valley to Llanymynech; was formed in 1795-
1821, descends 225 ft. with 15 locks, is 24 miles long,
and is connected by a branch with the Ellesmere Canal.
Montgreenan, ry. sta. and seat, in par. and 3 miles
NE. of Kilwinning, Ayrshire.
Montiaghs, par., N. co. Armagh, on Lough Neagh
and river Bann, 5 m. NW. of Lurgan, 6301 ac., pop. 3571.
Montpelier, eccl. dist. and ry. sta. (Montpellier),
Clifton par., Gloucestershire, in bor. and on N. side of
Bristol, pop. 8340.
Montpelier, vil., Stradbally par., N. co. Limerick,
on river Shannon, opposite OBriensbridge and 3 miles
N. of Castleconnell ry. sta., pop. 229.
Montrave, seat, Scoonie par., Fife, 4 miles N. of
Leven; in 1877 a metal pot was found on the estate
containing 9615 silver coins, most of which were of the
reigns of Edward I. and Edward III.
Montreal, seat of Earl Amherst, 1 mile NW. of
Sevenoaks, Kent; was built by Lord Amherst who
took Montreal in Canada in 1760.
Montrose, pari, and royal burgh, seaport, and par.,
NE. Forfarshire, at mouth of river South Esk, 10 miles
E. of Brechin, 31 miles NE. of Dundee, 76 miles NE.
of Edinburgh, and 492 miles N. of London by rail—
par., 4134 ac., pop. 16,303; pari, burgh, pop. 14,973;
royal burgh, pop. 14,177; town, pop. (including Rossie
island) 14,994; P.O., T.O.; 8 Banks, 2 newspapers.
Market-day, Friday. Montrose is a place of consider-
able antiquity ; it was sacked by the Danes in 980, and
was a principal town of Scotland in the middle of the
13th century. The town is situated on a flat peninsula
at the N. side of the mouth of the South Esk. To
the W. of the town the river expands into a broad tidal
lagoon known as the Montrose Basin, and is crossed by
a suspension bridge and a railway viaduct. The har-
bour, comprising the reach of the river from the
suspension bridge to the sea, is naturally deep and well
sheltered, and the quays are well constructed and com-
modious. The trade with the Baltic and Canada is
considerable. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
The principal industries are flax-spinning, and the
weaving of canvas, floorcloths, sailcloth, and other
fabrics. Montrose is the headquarters of a fishery dis-
trict extending from Broughty Ferry to Gourdon.
The Montrose Burghs return 1 member to Parlia-
ment ; they consist of Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin,
Forfar, and Inverbervie.
Montrose, Old, ancient division of Marytown par.,
Forfarshire ; has given to the family of Graham the
successive titles of earl (1505), marquis (1644), and duke
1707), in the peerage of Scotland. See Marytown.
Montys Court, seat, near Taunton, Somerset.
Monument, The, ry. sta., the City, London.
Monument Lane, ry. sta., Warwickshire, in N. of
Monxton (or Monkston), par. and vil., Hants, 3%
miles W. of Andover, 1156 ac., pop. 269.
Monyask, township and vil., Bakewell par., Derby-
shire, 5 miles AV. of Bakewell, 3146 ac., pop. 399; was
a market town, and is now the seat of a mining court.
Monybmie, school, Balmaclellaapar., Kirkcudbright-
shire, 8 miles SW. of Moniaive.
Monymnsk, par. and vil. with ry. sta., mid. Aber-
deenshire, on river Don—par., 10,728 ac., pop. 1155 ;
vil., 8% miles E. of Alford and 21 miles NW. of Aber-
deen ; P.O.; Monymusk House, seat, is 1 m. N. of sta.
Monynut Water, Haddington and Berwick; rises
among the Lammermuir Hills, and flows 7% miles SE.
to the Whiteadder AYater at Abbey St Bathans.
Monzie, par., quoad sacra par., and vil., mid. Perth-
shire—par., 21,487 ac., pop. 753; quoad sacra par.,
partly also in Fowlis-AVester par., pop. 304; vil., on
Shaggie Burn, 3 miles N. by E. of Crieff ; the par. con-
sists of a main body (which contains the vil.) and of 3
detached portions — Innerpeffray, Auchnafree, and
Logiealmond ; adjacent to vil. is the seat of Monzie
Castle, in the grounds of which are some remarkable
Monzievaird and Slrowan, par., mid. Perthshire, on
river Earn, 26,093 ac., pop. 700; the church is 3% miles
NAY. of Crieff; the par. consists of a main body in
Slrathcarn and 3 detached portions in Glenartney.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)