Mungret, par., in co. and 3% miles SW. of Limerick,
6149 ac., pop. 1365; P.O.
Miingrisdale, township, Greystoke par., and eccl.
dist., partly also in Caldbeck par., Cumberland, onriver
Glenderamakin, 5% m. S. of Hesket Newmarket—dist.,
pop. 339; township, 6593ac., pop. 180; has slate quarries.
Munhin, rivulet, NAV. co. Mayo; issues from Lough
Garrowmore, and flows 3 miles to river Owenmore.
Munlochy, vil., Knockbain par., Ross and Cromarty,
on Munlochy Bay, 7 miles N. by W. of Inverness; P.O.,
T.O., 1 Bank; Munlochy Bay, an inlet of the Moray
Firth, is an excellent fishing station.
Munnow, r., Hereford and Monmouth. SeeMONNOW.
Munsley, par. and vil., Herefordshire, 3% miles NAV.
of Ledbury, 1228 ac., pop. 172.
Munslow.—hundred, Shropshire, 91,377 ac., pop.
12,787.—2. Munslow, par. and vil., Shropshire, 7%
miles NE. of Craven Arms sta. and 9% miles SAV. of
Much Wenlock, 3504 ac., pop. 601; P.O.
Munster, province, in SW. of Ireland, bounded N. by
Connaught, E. by Leinster, and S. and AV. by the
Atlantic Ocean; greatest length, NE. and SW., 150
miles; greatest breadth, 110 miles; average breadth,
75 miles; area, 6,064,579 ac., or 29T per cent, of the
total area of Ireland; pop. 1,331,115 (or 45 per cent,
less than in 1871), of whom 93'8 per cent, are Roman
Catholics, 5'3 Episcopalians, 03 Presbyterians, and
04 Methodists. (For agricultural statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) Previous to the conquest of Ireland, in the
reign of Henry II., Munster was divided into the
2 kingdoms of North Munster (now co. Clare) and
South Munster. In the reign of Elizabeth upwards of
574,000 ac. of Munster were forfeited to the Crown by
rebellion, and granted to English colonists. Munster
comprises 6 counties—Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick,
Tipperary, and Waterford.
Munston, in co. and 2 miles from Hereford ; P.O.
Munterhyrne, 5 m. from Caledon, co. Tyrone; P.O.
Munterconnaught, par., S. co. Cavan, 2 miles SAV.
of Virginia, 6471 ac., pop. 1634.
Mimterlony, hill, 5 miles NE. of Gortin, N. co.
Tyrone, alt. 1432 ft.
Muntham, seat, 5 miles NAV. of Worthing, Sussex.
Murchington, hamlet, in par. and 3 miles SE. of
Murcot, Oxfordshire. See Pencot and Murcot.
Mnrcott.—hamlet, Long Buckby and AVatfordpars.,
Northamptonshire, 4 miles NE. of Daventry.—2.
Murcot t, hamlet, Crudwell par., AVilts, 3 miles NE. of
Murdering Glen, 3 miles E. of Bantry, S. co. Cork.
Murdoch Isle, in Loch Ard, Aberfoyle par., SAV.
Perthshire; contains ruins of a castle built by Murdoch,
Duke of Albany, Regent of Scotland.
Murdostoun Castle, seat, Shotts par., Lanarkshire,
on South Calder AVater, 1 mile N. of Newmains ry. sta.
Mureslcy, 3 miles E. of AVinslow, Bucks ; P.O. See
Murher, par., N. co. Kerry, on river Gale, 6 miles
NE. of Listowel, 10,698 ac., pop. 2392.
Murie House, seat, in par. and 1% mile SAV. of Errol,
Mnricston House, seat, in par. and 2 miles SW. of
Mid-Calder, Edinburghshire, on Murieston Water.
Murklc, hamlet, Olrig par., N. Caithness, near
Murkle Bay, 3% miles W. of Thurso; Murklc Bay is
an inlet of Dunnet Bay.
Murloch Bay, between Fair Head and Torr Head,
N. co. Antrim.
Murneen, 6 miles from Claremorris, co. Mayo ; P.O.
Murragh, par., mid. co. Cork, on river Bandon, 6
miles NW. of Bandon, 8754 ac., pop. 1423.
Mnrrah, Cumberland. See Berrier and Murrah.
Murray Held, suburb and ry. sta., in the AV. of
Edinburgh; P.O., T.O.
Murrayshall.—seat, in detached portion of Kinnoull
par., Perthshire, 3 miles NE. of Perth ; Murrayshall
Hill (918 ft.) is crowned by an obelisk erected in 1850
to the memory of Lord Lynedoch.—2. Murrayshall,
seat, StNinians par., in co. and 2% m. SAV. of Stirling.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)