Nant,1 coast hamlet and seat, Meliden par., Flint-
shire, 3 miles NE. of Rhuddlan.
Nant, rivulet, Lorne district, Argyllshire; issues from
Loch Nant, and flows 54 miles N. through Glen Nant
to Loch Etive near Bona we, making several waterfalls.
Nant Conway, hundred, Carnarvonshire, in E. of co.,
46,326 ac., pop. 5732; contains5pars. andpartsof2others.
Nant Ftrancon, romantic glen, Carnarvonshire, in
E. of co., 4 miles NAV. of Capel Curig.
Nant Hill, on river Gorfai, Carnarvonshire, near
Bettws Garmon ; is a favourite subject with artists.
Nant Peris, 3 miles SE. of Llanberis, Carnarvon-
shire ; P.O.
Nantehwyd, hamlet with ry. sta., Llanedilan par.,
Denbighshire, on river Clwyd, 5 miles S. of Ruthin.
Nantcribber Hall, seat, in co. and 2 miles N. of
Nantcwnlle, par., Cardiganshire, on river Ayron, 64
miles SAV. of Tregaron, 4603 ac., pop. 735.
Nantddu, hamlet, Cantreff par., Brecknockshire, in
S. of co., on river Taff, 84 miles SAV. of Brecknock.
Nantcos, seat, 34 m. SE. of Aberystwith, Cardigan.
Nantfarn, seat, in E. of Anglesey, near Beaumaris.
Nantgaredlg, vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 5 miles
NE. of Carmarthen ; P.O.
Nantgarw, hamlet, in Taff Yale, Glamorgan, 6 miles
NW. of Cardiff ; P.O.
Nantglyn, par. and vil., in co. and 4 miles SW. of
Denbigh, 5454 ac., pop. 289; P.O.; the churchyard
contains the grave of AVilliam Owen Pughe (1759-1835),
Nantgwilt, seat, on SW. border of Radnorshire, 6
miles SAA7. of Rhayader.
Nantgwrthcyrn, romantic glen, Carnarvonshire, in
SW. of co., 3 miles NE. of Nevern.
Nantgwynant ( the A7ale of Waters ), Carnarvon-
shire, 5 miles NE. of Beddgelert; was the scene of
several skirmishes during the Wars of the Roses.
Nanthir, 2 m. from Pontycymmer, Glamorgan; P.O.
Nantlnan, par., N. co. Limerick, 2 miles N. of Rath-
keale, 7921 ac., pop. 1455.
Nantlle, vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 5J miles SW.
of Carnarvon ; P.O.; is situated on a lake of the same
name, in a romantic glen under the western offshoot of
Snowdon, and is the centre of a great mining and slate
Nantmel, par., Radnorshire, on river Dulas, 4 miles
SE. of Rhayader, 16,387 ac., pop. 1231; P.O.
Nantinor, hamlet, Beddgelert par., Merioneth, 54
miles NE. of Tremadoc.
Nantwich.—(or Namptwicli), market town, par.,
and township, Cheshire, on river AVeaver, 5 miles SAV.
of Crewe, 36 miles SW. of Manchester, and 158 miles
NW. of London—par., 3578 ac., pop. 8174; town and
township, 696 ac., pop. 7495; P.O., t.o., 3 Banks, 1
newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. As the seat of
extensive saltworks Nantwich was in early times a
place of not a little consequence. The AVelsh carried
on a considerable trade in salt; and in order to harass
that people King Henry III. ordered the brine pits to
be filled up, a proceeding which gave a serious shock
to the progress of the town. Many battles were fought
here between the English and the Welsh; and in olden
days the town was more than once ravaged by fire and
pestilence. The manufacture of boots and shoes is now
the prevailing industry; leather and clothing mfrs.,
ironfounding, &c., are other local employments. A
short distance from the town the Grand Junction Canal
is joined by the Ellesmere Canal.—2. Nantwich,
hundred, Cheshire, 86,616 ac., pop. 32,212.
Nantyaln, vil., Maes-Mynis par., Brecknockshire, in
S. of co., 3 miles W. of Builth.
Nantybelan, picturesque valley, Denbighshire, in E.
of co., 4 miles SE. of Llangollen.
Nantybwch, ry. sta., on border of Monmouthshire
and Brecknockshire, 2 miles NW. of Tredegar.
Nantycain, vil., Llangunnor par., in co. and near
Nantycaws, inco. and 3 m. SE. of Carmarthen ; P.O.
Nantyderry, ry. sta., Monmouthshire, 6 miles SE.
of Abergavenny; P.O.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Nant is Celtic, and signifies a brook, hence a vale.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)