Nostell, hamlet with ry. sta., AVragby par., S. div.
AVest-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles SE. of AVakefield;
Nostell Priory, seat, stands near the site of the old
priory, founded in 1121.
Nosterfleld, vil., AVest Tanfield par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 3 miles SE. of Masham.
Notgrove, par. (ry. sta. Notgrove and AVestfield),
Gloucestershire, 4% miles AV. of Bourton on the Water,
1530 ac., pop. 132.
Noth, Top of, hill with remains of vitrified fort,
Rhynie par., Aberdeenshire, alt. 1851 ft.
Notlie, The, promontory, on coast of Dorset, at
entrance to Weymouth harbour; is a favourite resort
of the townspeople, and affords splendid views.
Nothland Castle, Orkney. See Noltland Castle.
Notley, Black, par. and vil., Essex, on river Brain,
1% mile S. of Braintree, 1941 ac., pop. 664.
Notley, Wkite, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Essex, on
river Brain, 3 miles NAV. of Witham and 4 miles SE.
of Braintree, 2245 ac., pop. 461; P.O.
Notley Ahhey, Long Crendon par., Bucks, 2 miles
NE. of Thame; was founded in 1162, and its remains,
including pointed windows and a corner turret, now
form part of a picturesque farmhouse.
Notown, hamlet, Bleasby par., Notts, 3 miles SE. of
Nottage, vil., NewtonNottagepar., Glamorgan, 1%m.
NW. of Newton Nottage vil. and 6% rn. W. of Bridgend.
Nottlng Hill, dist. with ry. sta., partly in Chelsea
par., but chiefly in Kensington par., Middlesex, in W.
of London, pop. 45,306; the sta. is 1% mile N. of
Kensington (Addison Road) station.
Notting Hill Gate, sta. on Metropolitan Ry., % mile
N. of Kensington (High Street) sta. by rail and 1 mile
(by road) SE. of Notting Hill sta.
Nottingkam, pari, and mun. bor., market town, co.
town of Notts, and co. in itself, on the N. bank of the
Trent, 15 miles E. of Derby and 126 NW. of London
by rail, 9960 ac., pop. 186,575; 6 Banks, 6 newspapers.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Little is known
concerning the early history of the town. A strong-
hold was built by William the Conqueror, during whose
reign also the town was fortified. During the Barons
AVars Nottingham was a centre of turbulence, and was
taken several times, being partially destroyed in the
reign of Stephen. Edward IV. was proclaimed here in
1460. Charles I. was besieged in Nottingham in 1642,
and in the following year the town surrendered to
Colonel Hutchinson, the Parliamentarian commander.
Its public buildings do not call for special remark. The
castle, founded by William I., was dismantled in the
time of the Commonwealth, and after being rebuilt as
a dwelling-house was burnt by the Reform rioters in
1830. It is now restored, and contains the Midland
Counties Art Museum, the property of the corpora-
tion. Lacemaking and the mfr. of cotton hosiery are
very important industries, nearly all the supply of
British laces being made in the town. Silk, flax, and
woollen mills are also in operation; the mfr. of weaving
and netting machinery is largely carried on; and iron-
foundries, breweries, and tanneries are successful seats
of industry. A picturesque feature of the town is its
arboretum, 18 acres in extent. Nottingham returns 3
members to Parliament (3 divisions—viz., West, East,
and South, 1 member for each division); its representa-
tion was increased from 2 to 3 members in 1885, when
the parliamentary limits were extended.
Nottinghamshire, Nottingham, or Notts, north-
midland county of England, bounded N. by York-
shire, E. by Lincolnshire, S. by Leicestershire, and AV.
by Derbyshire; greatest length, N. to S., about 50
miles; greatest breadth, E. to AV., about 25 miles;
area, 527,752 ac., pop. 391,815. Towards the E., Not-
tinghamshire has a level surface; while westwards it is
marked by gentle hills of no great elevation, which tend
to impart some variety to the scenery. The eastern
portion comprises the vales of the Trent and Belvoir;
in the S., between the Soar and the Smite, are the
Wolds, consisting of level tracts of moor and pasture;
while in the W. are the remains of the royal forest of
.Sherwood. The Trent flows through the co. from SAV.
to NE., and is navigable for river vessels. All the other
streams are tributaries of the Trent; they include the
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)