Soar, Erwash, and Idle. By the Nottingham and
Grantham Canal, and the Fosse Dyke Canal, there is
connection between the Trent and the Witham. The
soil is varied, but cannot be spoken of as being highly
productive. Green crops are the principal growth, and
the common cereals are cultivated. Hop plantations
are numerous, while in proximity to Nottingham and
Newark there are many market gardens. (For agricul-
tural statistics, see Appendix.) Magnesian limestone
and old red sandstone overlying coal prevail in the W.;
in the other districts are formations of marl, new red
sandstone, and lias, with quartz and gravel in the
Forest. In a few places coal is worked. The principal
mfrs. are laces of various descriptions, in recent years
a great development being apparent in the production
of lace curtains. Hosiery mfrs., woollen mills, cotton
mills, and iron foundries are also actively productive.
Nottinghamshire comprises 6 wapentakes, 273 pars,
with parts of 5 others, the pari, and mun. bor. of
Nottingham (3 members), and the mun. bors. of East
Retford and Newark. It is almost entirely in the
diocese of Southwell. For parliamentary purposes the
county is divided into 4 divisions—viz., Bassetiaw.
Newark, Rush cliffe, and Mansfield, 1 member for each
Nottingkam Canal, from W. side of Nottingham,
W. to Erwash Canal on border of Derbyshire, thence
N. along Notts border to junction with Cromford Canal;
was made in 1802, and is 14 miles long.
Nottington, vil., Broadway and Buckland Ripers
pars., Dorset, 2% miles AV. of AVeymonth; in vicinity is
Nottington House, seat.
Notton.—hamlet, Maiden Newton par., Dorset, in
W. of co., 8 miles NAV. of Dorchester.—2. Notton,
township and vil. (ry. sta. Royston and Notton), Roy-
stone par., S. div. AVest-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles SE.
of AVakefield, 2602 ac., pop. 261; P.O.
Notton House, seat, 3 m. SW. of Chippenham, Wilts.
Notts. See Nottinghamshire.
Nongkaval.—par., N. co. Clare, 2 miles N. of Kil-
fenora, 4661 ac., pop. 176.—2. Nongkaval, par., cos.
Longford and AVestmeath, on river Inny, 12,719 ac.,
pop. 2169; contains Ballymahon. — 3. Nongkaval.
Nonp Head, on NW. coast of AVestray isl., Orkney,
on W. side of Noup Bay; rising SE. of the headland is
an eminence called Noup Hill, or the Stack, of Noup.
Nonp of Noss, Shetland. See Noss.
Novar, ry. sta., Kiltearn par., Ross and Cromarty,
6% miles NE. of Dingwall; Novar House, seat, Alness
par., is 1% mile NW. of sta.
Now'ton, par. and vil., Suffolk, 2% miles SE. of Bury
St Edmunds, 1157 ac., pop. 180; in vicinity of vil. is
the seat of Now ton Court.
Noyadd Llanartk, seat of Lord Kensington, Cardi-
ganshire, in SW. of co., near Llanarth.
Noyadd Trefawr, seat, on NW. border of Car-
marthenshire, near Newcastle Emlyn.
Nnfflcld, par., Oxfordshire, 4 miles SE. of AValling-
ford, 2104 ac., pop. 215.
Nnn Appleton Hall, seat, Bolton Percy par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles NAV. of Selby.
Nun Monkton, par. and vil., E. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, at confluence of rivers Onse and Nidd, 7
miles NW. of York, 1775 ac., pop. 261; P.O.
Nnnkurnkolme, par. and township with ry. sta.,
East-Riding Yorkshire, 4 m. NW. of Market Weighton
—par., 2534 ac.,pop. 286 ; township, 1858 ac., pop. 248.
Nuncar Gate, 6% m. SW. of Mansfield, Notts ; P.O.
Nuneaton, market town and par. with ry. sta., War-
wickshire, on Coventry Canal, 9 miles N. of Coventry,
19% miles SW. of Leicester, and 97 miles NW. of
London, 6112 ac., pop. 8465; P.O., T.o., 2 Banks, 3
newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Nuneaton is said
to have derived its name from a nunnery founded about
the middle of the 12th century, portions of which
still remain. Ribbons were formerly a staple mfr.
here, but the trade has declined, and a large industry
now exists in the preparation of woven worsted goods.
There are also factories for cotton, elastic, &c., while
wool and skin dressing, iron working, edge-tool making,
and malting are active industries; and brick fields, coal
mines, and ironstone mines are in the neighbourhood.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)