©rcharrtleigh, par., Somerset, on river Frome, 2 miles
N. of Frome, 715 ac., pop. 41; contains ©rchardleigh
Orchard ton, seat, Herrick par., S. Kirkcudbright-
shire, 6| miles SE. of Castle Douglas.
Orchcston St George, par., Wilts, on Salisbury Plain,
12 miles SE. of Devizes, 2363 ac., pop. 193 ; P.O.
©cohesion St Mary, par., Wilts, adjacent to Orches-
ton St George, 1737 ac., pop. 163.
Orchill, seat, Ardoch par., S. Perthshire, 3 miles
NAV. of Blackford ry. sta.; Orchill Muir, moorland,
is in vicinity.
Orchy, rivulet, NE. Argyllshire; issues from Loch
Tulla, and flows 16 miles SW. through Glen Orchy to
Loch Awe, 24 miles W. of Dalmally.
Orcop, par. and vil., Herefordshire, in S. of co.—
par., 2403 ac., pop. 554 ; vil., 84 miles NW. of Boss;
P.O., called Orcop 1(111. The hill is 2 miles N. of vil.
Ord, vil., Tweedmouth par., Northumberland, on
river Tweed, 1 mile SW. of Berwick on Tweed; in
vicinity is Ord House, seat.
Ord.—quoad sacra par., N. Banffshire, comprising
parts of the pars, of Alvah, Banff, Boyndie, and Mar-
noch, pop. 851; the church is 6 miles SAV. of Banff.—
2. Ord (or Muir of Ord), the S. part of the Mullbuie,
Ross and Cromarty. See Muir of Ord.—3. Ord (or
Ord of Caithness), broad lofty hill, on border of
Sutherland and Caithness, 4 miles NE. of Helmsdale;
it rises abruptly from the sea coast.
Ord, The, rocky headland, in S. of Bressay island,
Shetland, alt. 542 ft.
Ord Beauly Distillery, at Muir of Ord, Ross and
Ord Fundlie, hill, in par. and 1 mile NE. of Kin-
cardine ONeil, Aberdeenshire.
Ord Hill.—Drumoakpar., Aberdeenshire, alt. 350 ft.
—2. Ord Mill, Knockbain par., Ross and Cromarty,
alt. 633 ft.
Ord Honse, seat, Urray par., Ross and Cromarty, 1J
mile AV. of Muir of Ord ry. sta.
Ordkain Hill, Duthil par., E. Inverness-shire, near
Rothiemurchus, alt. 1250 ft.
Ordhead, in par. and 34 miles NW. of Monymusk,
Ordle, Loch, Dunkeld andDowally par., Perthshire.
Ordte Burn, Auchtergaven par., Perthshire; flows
84 miles SE. to the river Tay near Luncarty.
Ordiquhlll, par., NE. Banffshire, 4754 ac., pop. 714;
the church is 2 miles SAV. of Cornhill ry. sta.
Ordley, vil., 34 m. SE. of Hexham, Northumberland.
Ordnance Factory Station, ry. sta., near Enfield
Lock, Middlesex, 1 mile S. of Waltham Cross sta. and
6 miles N. of Tottenham sta.
Ordsall.— eccl. dist. and ry. sta. (Ordsall Lane),
Manchester par., Lancashire, in W. of Manchester,
pop. 13,507; P.O., t.o., and P.O. at sta., called Ordsall
Lane.—2. Ordsall, par., Notts, on river Idle, in mun.
bor. of East Retford, 1989 ac., pop. 3011; P.O.; con-
tains the Ordsall Paper Mills.
Ore, par., Sussex, mostly within the bor. of Hastings,
2177 ac., pop. 3657; P.O., T.O. ; Ore Place, seat, is 14
mile NAV. of Hastings.
Ore, rivulet, SW. Fife; flows 17 miles E. to river
Leven, near Windygates sta.
Oreston, vil., on S. coast of Devon, on Plymouth
Sound, 2 miles SE. of Plymouth ; P.O.; has limestone
quarries. The limestone cliffs here are very lofty, and
in the quarries is a cave containing fossil bones.
Oreston Point, craggy promontory, on coast of
Somerset, 2 miles NE. of Porlock.
Orford.—fishing town and par., Suffolk, on river Ore,
6 miles SW. of Aldeburgh and 20 miles NE. of Ipswich,
2702 ac. and 548 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 1147;
P.O., T.O. Encroachments of the sea have destroyed
the former importance of Orford, which anciently was
a place of some consequence, with charters dating from
the reign of Henry III. It returned 2 members to Par-
liament from the time of Edward I. until 1832. On the
outskirts of the town are the remains of a castle erected
in the reign of King Stephen. Oyster and other fisheries
are carried on, also some trade in coal and corn.—2.
Orford, vil., 2 miles N. of AVarrington, SW. Lanca-
shire ; P.O.; Orford Hall and Orford House are seats.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)