Papa Stour, island, "Walls par., Shetland, on S. side
of St Magnus Bay, 11 m. NW. of Walls, pop. 254; P.O.;
the island measures 2§ miles in length and 2% miles in
breadth, and presents interesting coast scenery ; it was
a northern centre of the early Culdees.
Papa Stronsay, island, Stronsay and Eday par.,
Orkney, % mile off the NE. of Stronsay island, pop. 23;
is low and flat, and has fertile soil.
Papa Westray, island, Westray and Papa Westray
par., Orkney, 1% mile E. of Westray island and 25
miles N. of Kirkwall, pop. 345; P.O.; is 4% miles long
and 1% mile in extreme breadth; the surface rises to
156 ft. above sea level, and the soil is fertile; the N.
extremity forms the bold headland of the Hull of
Papa, which is pierced with a vast cavern.
Papal, Holm of, Shetland, See Holm op Papal.
Papcastle, township and vil. with ry. sta., Bride-
kirkpar., Cumberland—township, 1240 ac., pop. 700;
vil., on river Derwent, 1 mile NW. of Cockermouth;
P.O. Papcastle occupies the site of a Roman station,
and many Roman relics have been found.
Paperkaugh, 4 miles SE. of Rothbury, Northumber-
land; P.O. See Pauperhaugh.
Papigoe, hamlet, in par. and 1% mile NE. of Wick,
Paplay, ancient par., now in Holm par., Orkney.
Papplewick, par. and vil., Notts, 7 miles S. of
Mansfield, 1992 ac., pop. 331; near the vil. is Papple-
wick Hall, seat.
Paps, Tke, group of mountains, SE. co. Kerry, 10
miles SE. of Killarney, alt. 2284 ft.
Paps of Jura. See Jura.
Pap worth, hundred, Cambridgeshire, 26,923 ac.,
pop. 5879 ; contains 10 pars, and a part.
Papworth St Agnes, par., partly in Huntingdon-
shire but chiefly in Cambridgeshire, 4 miles NAV. of
Caxton, 1302 ac., pop. 153.
Papworth St Everard, par., in SAV". of Cambridge-
shire, 3 miles NAV". of Caxton, 1096 ac., pop. 126; P.O.;
contains Papworth Hall, seat.
Par, small seaport town with ry. sta., St Blazey and
Tywardreath pars., Cornwall, 6 miles NE. of St Austell,
pop. 1530; P.O., T.o., and P.O. at Par Station; is a
busy place, carries on a large pilchard fishery, has
granite works and copper smelting, and exports ore and
china clay to Swansea and the Potteries; in the neigh-
bourhood are copper mines.
Paracombe, par. and vil., Devon—par., 4363 ac.,
pop. 382; vil., on Paracombe rivulet, 4% miles SW. of
Lynton ; P.O., called Parracombe. The rivulet flows
through Paracombe Gorge to the sea at Heddons
Paradis, 2 miles N. of St Peter Port, Guernsey,
Channel Islands ; a very remarkable cromlech is here.
Paradise, hamlet, Burnham par., Somerset, on
Bridgwater Bay, 8 miles N. of Bridgwater.
Par bold, township and vil. with ry. sta., Eccleston
par., N. Lancashire—par., 1159 ac., pop. 529 ; vil., 6
miles NW. of Wigan; P.O., T.o.; near the vil. is
Parbold llall, seat. Parbold Hill commands views
of the Isle of Man, and the AVelsh and Cumberland
Parbrook, hamlet, West Bradley par., Somerset, 5%
miles NW. of Castle Cary.
Parcel Canol, township, Llanbadarnfawr par., Car-
diganshire, in N. of co., near Aberystwith, 4325 ac.,
Pardenick Head, picturesque headland, at SAV. ex-
tremity of Cornwall, 1% mile SE. of Lands End.
Pardsliaw, hamlet, Dean par., Cumberland, 4 miles
SW. of Cockermouth; in NE. vicinity is Pardskaw
Parham.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., Suffolk—par.,
2212 ac., pop. 446; vil., on river Ore, 2 miles SE. of
Framlingham; P.O.; near the vil. is Parham Hall,
seat.—2. Parham, par., Sussex, 5 m. NE. of Arundel,
1284 ac., pop. 88 ; contains Parham Park, seat.
Park.—hamlet, Tolpuddle par., Dorset, 7% miles NE.
of Dorchester. — 2. Park, hamlet, Eglwysilan par.,
Glamorgan, 4 miles SW. of Llandaff.—3. Park, ry.
sta., SE. Lancashire, 3% miles NE. of Victoria Station,
Manchester.—4. Park, ry. sta., Middlesex. See Park
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)