Patrickswell, vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 5 miles
SAY. of Limerick, pop. 302 ; P.O.
Patrlcroft, town with ry. sta., Eccles par., SE. Lan-
cashire, 5 miles W. of Manchester, pop. 8887; P.O.,
T.O.; has one of the largest iron foundries in England,
also machine works, a cotton mill, and quilting factory,
and carries on silk throwing and weaving.
Patrington, small town and par. with ry. sta., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles SW. of Withernsea and 15
miles SE. of Hull, 3741 ac. (48 water), pop. 1360; P.O.,
T.O. Patrington was an important place long before
the Norman Conquest. The church was built in the
reign of Edward II. A fair trade in seed, corn, and
other farm produce, and in coal, is carried on, and
there are flax works, corn mills, and breweries.
Patrixbourne, par., Kent, on SE. side and partly
in city of Canterbury, 1640 ac., pop. 245.
Patshull, par., Staffordshire, 8 miles N. of Wolver-
hampton, 1850 ac., pop. 193; contains Patshnll Park,
seat of the Earl of Dartmouth.
Pattack, rivulet, Laggan par., Inverness-shire;
issues from Loch Pattack, and flows 10 miles N. to
N. extremity of Loch Laggan.
Patterdale, eccl. dist. and vil., Barton par., West-
morland—dist., pop. 710; vil., at head of Ullswater,
84 miles N. of Ambleside; P.O., T.O. The vil. is beau-
tifully situated, and commands delightful excursions
by land and by water. It is a favourite place for the
ascent of Helvellyn. Near the vil. is Patterdale Hall,
ancient seat. The mountain vale of Patterdale de-
scends 54 miles N. from Kirkstone Pass to the head of
Patterdale with Hartsop, township, Barton par.,
AYestmorland, at head of Ullswater, 16,735 ac. (63l
water), pop. 710; is conterminous with Patterdale eccl.
dist., and contains Patterdale vil. and the hamlets of
High Hartsop and Low Hartsop.
Pattersham, hamlet, in par. and 1 mile NAY. of
Pattesley, Norfolk. See Oxwick with Pattesley.
Pattingham, township and vil., Staffordshire, and
par., partly also in Shropshire—par., 4042 ac., pop. 1110;
township, 2500 ac., pop. 955 ; vil., 6 miles AY. of Wol-
verhampton ; P.O.
Pattishall, par. and vil., Northamptonshire—par.,
2460 ac., pop. 930; vil., 4 miles NW. of Towcester;
P.O.; near the vil. is Pattishall House, seat.
Pattiswick, par. and vil., Essex, 34 miles NE. of
Braintree, 1320 ac., pop. 340.
Patton, township, in par. and 34 miles NE. of
Kendal, AYestmorland, 637 ac., pop. 63.
Paul Church Town, vil., St Paul par., Cornwall,
on Mounts Bay, 24 m. S. of Penzance; P.O. ; has pil-
chard and mackerel fisheries. In vicinity are 2 ancient
granite crosses, and some remains of a British camp.
Paulerspury, par. and vil., Northamptonshire—
par., 2961 ac., pop. 1141; vil., 24 miles SE. of Tow-
cester ; P.O.; near the vil. is Paulerspury Park, seat.
Pauli, par., township, and vil., East-Riding York-
shire—par., 6911 ac. land, 4687 tidal water and 2273
foreshore, pop. 820; township, 4956 ac., pop. 545; vil.,
on river Humber, 5 miles SE. of Hull; P.O.; in vicinity
is High Pauli Honse, seat; Pauli Holme, an ancient
mansion, with tower of 1234, is now a farmhouse.
Pauls Grove, on coast of Hants, at N. side of
Portsmouth harbour and 4 miles N. of Portsmouth;
writers who allege that St Paul visited Britain say that
this was his landing-place.
Paulstown, seat, 4 miles N. of Gowran, N. co.
Paulswalden, seat, St Pauls AYalden par., Herts,
5 miles SE. of Hitchin.
Paulton, par. and vil., Somerset, 3 miles NW. of
Radstock sta. and 10 miles SW. of Bath, 1056 ac., pop.
2122; P.O., T.O.; has malt-houses, an iron foundry,
coal mines, and quarries.
Paulton Park, seat, Hants, in SAY. of co., 3 miles
SW. of Romsey.
Pauntley, par. and vil., Gloucestershire, on river
Leadon, 3 miles NE. of Newent, 1967 ac., pop. 216.
Pauperhaugh, township, in par. and 4 miles SE. of
Rothbury, Northumberland, 956 ac. (15 water), pop. 40;
P.O., called Paperhangli.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)