Peasgill, romantic ravine, Cumberland, near AVas-
dale Head, on NW. side of Lingmell.
Peasley Cross, ry. sta., SW. Lancashire, in SE.
vicinity of St Helens ; P.O.
Peasiuarsh, par. and vil., Sussex—par., 3772 ac.,
pop. 837 ; vil., 3 miles NAY. of Rye; P.O.; near the vil.
is Peasiuarsh House, seat.
Peasinore, Berks; P.O. See Peasemore.
Peat Inn, 4 miles from Ceres, Fife ; P.O.
Ieatling Magna, par. and vil., Leicestershire, 6|
miles NE. of Lutterworth, 1900 ac., pop. 194.
Peatling Parva, par. and vil., Leicestershire, 4g
miles NE. of Lutterworth, 870 ac., pop. 147.
Peatswood Hall, seat, on AV. border of Stafford-
shire, 1 mile SE. of Market Drayton.
Pehble Ridge, natural sea-wall, on coast of Devon,
at Bideford Bay, near mouth of river Taw.
Pebiuarsh, par. and vil., Essex, in NE. of co.—par.,
2062 ac., pop. 516; vil., 3§ miles NE. of Halstead; p.o.
Pebsbury, hamlet, Huish Episcopi par., Somerset,
Pehworth, par. and vil., Gloucestershire—par.,
3050 ac., pop. 691; vil., 5 miles NW. of Chipping
Cainpden; P.O.; has mineral springs; near the vil. is
Pehworth House, seat.
Peckforton, township, Bunbury par., Cheshire, 3§
miles SW. of Tarporley, 1754 ac., pop. 208 ; contains
Peckforton Castle, seat of Lord Tollemache of Helm-
Peckhani, 2 eccl. dists. (St Andrew and St Jude)
with ry. stations (Peckham Rye, and Queens Road,
Peckham), Camberwell par., Surrey, in SE. of London,
in bor. of Camberwell, 3 miles S. of London Bridge
by rail, pop.—St Andrew, 11,253 ; St Jude, 7818.
Peckhani, East, par. and vil., Kent, 6 miles NE. of
Tunbridge, 3403 ac. (41 water), pop. 2068 ; P.O., T.O.
Peckham, West, par. and vil., Kent, 1 mile NAY. of
East Peckham, 1577 ac., pop. 459.
Peckham Division, parl. div. of bor. of Camber-
well, pop. 71,089.
Peckham Rye, ry. sta., at Peckham, Surrey, 3g miles
S. of London Bridge Station.
Peckleton, par. and vil., Leicestershire, 4 miles SE.
of Market Bosworth, 1583 ac., pop. 267 ; near the vil.
is Peckleton Hall, seat.
Peddar Way, ancient road, Suffolk and Norfolk,
extending from Ixworth, in Suffolk, NAY. past Swaff-
ham to the coast at Hunstanton.
Pedden, hamlet, Staple par., Kent, 5 miles AY. of
Peddieston, place with school, in par. and 4 miles
SW. of Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty.
Pedham Court, seat, 4 m. SW. of Dartford, Kent.
Pedmorc, par. and vil., AYorcestershire, lg mile SE.
of Stourbridge, 1474 ac., pop. 500 ; P.O. ; near the vil.
is Pedmore Hall, seat.
Pedn-Mean-an-Mor (headland of stone, in the
sea), onSW. coast of Cornwall, 5 m. SE. of Lands End.
PednOIean-Dhu (black rock headland), in SW.
of Cornwall, 1 mile N. of Lands End.
Pedwardinc, hamlet, Brampton Bryan par., Here-
fordshire, 6 miles NE. of Presteigne.
Pedwell, hamlet, Ashcott par., Somerset, 8 miles
E. of Bridgwater.
Peebles, royal burgh, par., and co. town of Peebles-
shire, at the confluence of Eddlestone Water and river
Tweed, 18g miles NW. of Galashiels, 27 miles S. of
Edinburgh, and 54 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail—par.
(partly also in Selkirkshire), 16,597 ac., pop. 4059 ; royal
burgh,pop.2609; town(policeburgh), pop. 3495; P.O.,T.o,
3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Peebles
is finely situated in the valley of the Tweed, being well
sheltered by lofty hills, and is a favourite summer
resort. There is a large hydropathic establishment
near the town. The mfr. of tweeds and other woollen
stuffs is carried on. Peebles was in early times a seat
of the Scottish kings, was made a royal burgh in 1367,
and was burned by the English in 1406. It was the
birthplace of AA7illiam Chambers (1800-1883) and Robert
Chambers (1802-1871), publishers and authors.
Peeblesshire (or Tweeddale), an inland co.. in the
SE. of Scotland, bounded N. and NE. by Edinburgh-
shire, E. and SE. by Selkirkshire, S. by Dumfriesshire,
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)