Penycaderfawr, mountain peak, on E. border of
Brecknockshire, in Black Forest, 6 miles SE. of Tal-
garth, alt. 2650 ft.
Pen-y-Cac, eccl. dist. and vil., Ruabon par., Den-
bighshire—dist., pop. 2785; vil., 2 miles from Ruabon
Pcn-y-Clawdd, par., in co. and 44 miles SW. of
Monmouth, 614 ac., pop. 68.
Pcn-y-Craig ( head of the rock ), another name of
Old Radnor, derived from the position of the church.
Penycwni, hamlet, Pembrokeshire, in NAY. of co.,
7 miles E. of St Davids and 9 miles NW. of Haverford-
west ; P.O.
Pcnydarren, eccl. dist., Merthyr Tydfil par., Gla-
morgan, on N. side of Merthyr Tydfil, pop. 5098.
Pen-y-ddlnas, hill, on E. side of Great Ormes Head,
Carnarvonshire, in NAV. vicinity of Llandudno.
Fenyflbrdd, hamlet with ry. sta., Flintshire, 5 miles
NAY. of Wrexham ; P.O.
Pen-y-Ga«ler, hill, Carnarvonshire, 14 mile AY. of
Pen-y-Gaer, hill, Carnarvonshire, in SW. vicinity of
Penygarnedd, hamlet, 4 miles SE. of Llanfyllin sta.,
Penyghent, mountain, N. div. AVest-Riding York-
shire, on E. side of Ingleborough mountain, 7 miles N.
of Settle, alt. 2270 ft.
Pcn-y-Gralg.—hamlet, Carnarvonshire, in SAA7. of
co., 13 m. SW. of Pwllheli; P.O. —2. Pen-y-Graig, min-
ing vil., 3m. NAV. of Llantrisaint, Glamorgan; P.O.,T.O.
Fenygroes, vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 7 miles S.
of Carnarvon ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Pen-y-Gwryd, hill, Carnarvonshire, 4 miles SAA7. of
Capel Curig; alt. 950 ft.
Penylan Hall, seat, on E. border of Denbighshire,
on river Dee, 3 miles SE. of Ruabon.
Pcn-y-parc, hamlet, in co. and 4 m. NE. of Cardigan.
Fenypliot, mountain peak, in centre of Isle of Man,
2 miles SAV. of Snaefell, alt. 1772 ft.
Penysarn, hamlet, in NE. of Anglesey, 2 miles SE.
of Amlwch; P.O.
Penyvae, vil., Newcastle par* Glamorgan, near
Penzance, mun. bor., seaport, market town, and
township, Madron par., Cornwall, 26 miles SAY. of Truro
and 326 SAV. of London by rail—township, 337 ac. and
87 foreshore, pop. 12,499; bor. (comprising the greater
part of the township and a small part of Madron town-
ship), 486 ac., pop. 12,409 ; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers.
Market-days, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Pen-
zance is picturesquely situated at the head of Mounts
Bay, 8 miles NE. of the Lands End, and is the most
westerly town of England. It was burned by the
Spaniards in 1595, was sacked by Fairfax in 1646, re-
ceived its charter of incorporation from James I., and
was made one of the stannary towns in 1662. As a
head port Penzance has long occupied an important
position. Its harbour is formed by 2 piers (North and
South), enclosing 21 acres of water, and has accom-
modation for the largest vessels. The export trade is
very considerable, including tin and copper ore, china
clay, pilchards, and agricultural produce. The imports
are timber, iron, hemp, and tallow. (For shipping
statistics, see Appendix.) On the E. extremity of the
South Pier head is Penzance Lighthouse, 22 ft. high,
with fixed light 33 ft. above high water and seen 10
miles. Penzance has within recent times become a
much frequented watering-place, for which it possesses
many excellent advantages, including a fine climate,
beautiful environs, 2 esplanades commanding extensive
views, and many interesting antiquities in the neigh-
bourhood. Penzance gives the title of baron to the
Penzlewood, Somerset. See Penselwood.
Peopleton, par. and vil., AYorcestershire—par., 1474
ac., pop. 274 ; vil., 2 miles NAY. of Pershore ; P.O.
Peover.—river, Cheshire; rises in E. of co., near
Gawsworth, and flows 17 miles NAY. to the AYeaver at
Northwich.—2. Peover (or Over Peover), eccl. dist. and
vil., Rostherne par., Cheshire—dist. (containing Peover
Superior township), pop. 670; vil., on river Peover, 3
miles SE. of Knutsford; P.O., called Over Peover.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Pentre (Pentref) is Welsh, and signifies a village.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)