Perranzahuloe, par. and vil., Cornwall—par. (con-
taining Perran Porth vil. and part of Mithian eccl. dist.),
10,897 ac., pop. 2851; vil., 5¼ miles NW. of Truro; P.O.
at Perran Porth, 3 miles NW. of vil.; copper, lead,
and tin mining employ many of the inhabitants; the
par. contains Perran Round : which see.
Pcrridgc, detached part of Kenn par., Devon, 4
miles SW. of Exeter ; has an ancient camp command-
ing a fine view of the valley of the Teign.
Pcrrot, North, par., Somerset, on river Parret, in
NE. vicinity of Crewkerne, 1248 ac., pop. 322.
Perrot, South, par., Dorset, near source of river
Parret, at boundary with Somerset, 2 miles SE. of
Crewkerne, 1451 ac., pop. 303.
Perry, hamlet, Great Staughton and Graffham
pars., Huntingdonshire, 7 miles NAA7. of St Neots.
Perry Barr, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Handsworth
par., Staffordshire, pop. 2314; P.O., T.O. ; the sta. is 3
m. N. of Birmingham ; in vicinity is Perry Hall, seat.
Perry Green.—hamlet, Great Hadham par., Herts,
4 miles SAY. of Bishop Stortford.—2. Perry Green,
hamlet, AYidford par., Herts, 5¼ miles NE. of AVare.—
3. Perry Green, hamlet, in W. of Herts, 7 miles SW.
Perry Hill, eccl. dist., Lewisham par., Kent, in bor.
of Lewisham, pop. 2910.
Perry Street.—vil., Northfleet par., Kent, 1 mile
SAY. of Gravesend; P.O.—2. Perry Street, hamlet,
Crayford par., Kent, 1¼ mile NW. of Dartford.
Perrystone Hill, 4 miles SW. of Ross, Hereford-
shire ; P.O.; in vicinity is Perrystone Conrt, seat.
lersbore.—market town with ry. sta., Pershore St
Andrew and Pershore Holy Cross pars., Worcester-
shire, on river Avon, 8 miles SE. of AVorcester and 112
miles NAV. of London, pop. 2885; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks.
Market-day, Tuesday. Pershore is a well built town,
and occupies a beautiful situation amidst picturesque
scenery. It dates from a remote period—a monastery
was founded here in 689. Its principal feature is the
church of Holy Cross, which consists of the transept
and chancel of the old abbey. The mfr. of stockings is
the chief industry; engineering and machine making
are carried on. Large quantities of fruit and vegetables
are cultivated in the neighbourhood for Birmingham
and other towns. In addition to the weekly market
Pershore has several fairs for cattle, horses, sheep, &c.,
and a market for fat stock is held four times a year.—
2. Pershore, hundred, Worcestershire, 95,892 ac.,
Pershore St Andrew and Pershore Holy Cross, 2
pars., AYorcestershire (containing Pershore town)—St
Andrew, 9960 ac., pop. 2365; Holy Cross, 2950 ac.,
Persie,' quoad sacra par., partly in Alyth par., For-
farshire, but chiefly in the pars, of Alyth, Bendochy,
Blairgowrie, Caputh, Kirkmichael, Lethendy and Kin-
loch, and Rattray, NE. Perthshire, on the Black Water,
pop. 715; the church is 9 miles N. of Blairgowrie.
Perth, ancient city, pari, and royal burgh, par., river
port, and co. town of Perthshire, on river Tay, 21 miles
W. of Dundee, 47 miles N. of Edinburgh, 62¼ miles NE.
of Glasgow, and 437 miles NW. of London by rail—
par. (divided into Perth East par., pop. 12,102; Perth
Middle par., pop. 4902; Perth St Paul par., pop. 3009;
and Perth West par., pop. 6223), pop. 26,236; pari,
burgh, pop. 28,949; royal burgh, pop. 27,207; police
burgh, pop. 26,951; town, pop. 28,980; 8 Banks, 3 news-
papers. Market-day, Friday. The pari, and royal
burgh, and the town, extend into Kinnoull, Scone, and
Tibbermore pars. Perth is situated amid enchanting
scenery, and is overlooked from a short distance by
finely wooded eminences, which command magnificent
views. Two public meadows or parks, called the
North Inch and the South Inch, extend along the
right bank of the Tay, and on the opposite side of the
river (which is crossed by a handsome 9-arched bridge,
840 ft. long) is the suburb of Bridgend. Perth was for
some time called St Johns Town or St Johnstoun, and
was long regarded as the capital of Scotland, being a
favourite residence of the kings. It still takes pre-
cedence of all royal burghs except Edinburgh. It is
remarkable for the wealth of its historical associations.
It was also remarkable for the magnificence of its
ecclesiastical buildings, of which the ancient church
of St John still remains. The General Convict Prison
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)