for Scotland, at the South Inch, is a very extensive
building, having been originally erected in 1812 for
French prisoners of war. The chief industries of Perth
are dyeing and the mfr. of ink and gauge-glasses. The
mfrs. of linen, winceys, floorcloth, ropes and twine,
and chemicals are also carried on. There are several
breweries and iron foundries. Perth is an important
centre for the sale of live stock and other agricultural
produce. The river is navigable to the town for vessels
under 200 tons. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
The burgh returns 1 member to Parliament.
Perthshire, east-midland co. of Scotland, bounded
N. by Inverness-shire and Aberdeenshire, E. by For-
farshire, SE. by Fife and Kinross-shire, S. by Clack-
mannanshire and Stirlingshire, SW. by Stirlingshire
and Dumbartonshire, and W. by Argyllshire; greatest
length, E. and W., 72 miles; greatest breadth, N. and
S., 60 miles; the detached portion (lying along the
upper reach of the Firth of Forth, and separated
from the main body by a belt of Fife and Clack-
mannanshire) is 6J miles by 4| miles; area, 1,617,808
ac.; pop. 129,007. Perthshire includes some of the
grandest and most beautiful scenery in Scotland,
combining features characteristic both of the High-
lands and the Lowlands. The ranges of the Ochils
and the Sidlaw Hills, which are parted by the estu-
ary of the Tay, occupy the SE.; while the N. and
NW. districts, to the extent of more than one-
half of the entire county, are occupied with the
mountains of the Grampian system, this Highland
region being intersected by numerous lochs and glens.
The rich and beautiful valley of Strathmore, extending
from the SW. to the NE. across the whole co., lies
between the base of the mountains in the N. and NW.
and the lower ranges in the SE.; the fertile alluvial
tract known as the Carse of Gowrie stretches between
the Sidlaw Hills and the Firth of Tay; while the Carse
of the Forth lies along the S. border. The general slope
of the co. is towards the SE. The principal rivers are
the Forth and the Tay. The largest tributaries of the
Forth within the co. are the Teith, the Allan, and the
Devon; while those of the Tay are the Tummel, the
Lyon, the Isla, the Bran, the Almond, and the Earn.
The largest lochs are Lochs Ericht and Bannoch in the
N., Lochs Tay and Earn in the NW., and Lochs Katrine,
Achray, Vennachar, and Menteith in the SW. The soils
of this co. are of the most varied character,—rich deep
clay or loam in the straths, a light sandy or gravelly
soil in the hill valleys, and moorland on the higher
lands. (For agricultural statistics, see Appendix.)
Coal and ironstone are wrought in the detached sec-
tion of the co.; roofing slate is obtained near Alyth,
Comrie, and Dunkeld; and limestone is quarried at
various places. Agriculture and sheep-farming are the
chief industries. There are extensive deer forests, and
the fisheries on the Tay are of very considerable value.
The mfrs. of woollen and tartan stuffs, cotton, and
coarse linens are carried on to some extent. The
ancient divisions of Perthshire, now only of local
significance, were Athole, Breadalbane, Gowrie, Men-
teith, Methven, Perth, and Stormont. The co. com-
prises 68 pars, with parts of 13 others, the parl. and
police burgh of Perth (1 member), the parl. burgh of
Culross (part of the Stirling Burghs), and the police
burghs of Abernethy, Alyth, Blairgowrie, Callander,
Coupar Angus (part of), Crieff, Dunblane, and Rattray.
For parliamentary purposes the county is divided into
2 divisions—viz., Eastern and Western, each returning
1 member. The representation of the co. was increased
from 1 to 2 members in 1885.
Pcrtholey.—hamlet, Llantrissent par., Monmouth-
shire, 3 miles SE. of Usk.—2. Fertholey. See Llan-
Perthyr, hamlet, in co. and 4 A m. NW. of Monmouth.
Pcrtinney Hill, in SW. of Cornwall, 3 miles NE. of
Lands End; alt. 714 ft.
Perton End, hamlet, 4 miles NE. of Dunmow,
Pertonliall, par. and vil., Bedfordshire, in N. of co.,
near Huntingdonshire border—par., 1533 ac., pop. 337;
vil., 2 miles SW. of Kimbolton ; P.O.
Fertwood, Upper, par., Wilts, 2m. NW. of Hindon,
450 ac., pop. 38.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)