Petersfield (or Eastern) 'Division, pari. div. of
Hants, pop. 46,318.
Petersham.—hamlet, Wimborne Minster par., Dor-
set) 3 miles NE. of Wimborne.—2. Petersham, par.
and vil., Surrey, 1 mile S. of Richmond and 10 miles
SW. of London, 652 ac., pop. 566; P.O., T.o.; gives the
title of viscount to the Earl of Harrington; the church
has a memorial to Vancouver (1758-1798), the voyager.
Peterston, ry. sta., Glamorgan, 6| miles AV. of
Cardiff; P.O. See Peterstone super Ely.
Peterstone.—township, Coychurch par., Glamorgan,
4% miles AV. of Llantrisaint, 2106 ac., pop. 241.—2.
Peterstone (or Peterstone Wentloog), par., Mon-
mouthshire, 6 miles SW. of Newport, 2134 ac. land and
1100 water, pop. 156.
Peterstone Court, seat, in co. and 3% miles SE. of
Peterstone super Ely, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Peter-
ston), Glamorgan, on river Ely, 6% miles W. of Cardiff,
2086 ac., pop. 233 ; P.O., called Peterston.
Peterstow, par. and vil., Herefordshire—par., 1544
ac., pop. 332; vil., 2% miles AV. of Ross; P.O.; the
church is very ancient, and is said to have been built
previous to the Norman Conquest.
Peterswell, 6 miles from Gort, S. co. Galway; P.O.
Petham, par. and vil., Kent—par., 3338 ac., pop.
687; vil., 5 miles S. of Canterbury; P.O.; near the
vil. is Petham Honse, seat.
Petherton, North.—hundred, Somerset, 24,003 ac.,
pop. 7476; contains 8 pars, and a part.—2. Petherton,
North, par. and vil., Somerset—par. (containing North
Newton, North Moor Green, and partof Burrow Bridge),
9972 ac.,pop. 3723; vil., 2 miles S. of Bridgwater; P.O.,
T.o.; has 2 fairs annually.
Petherton, South.—small town and par., Somerset;
on river Parret, 3 miles SW. of Martock sta. and 4%
N. of Crewkerne, 3311 ac., pop. 2424; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank. The chief features of the town are its ancient
church (restored 1861), an endowed national school, and
a fine bridge, which here crosses the Parret. Numer-
ous country residences are in the neighbourhood.—2.
Petherton, South, hundred, Somerset, 15,688 ac., pop.
5870; contains 15 pars.
Petherwick, Little, par. and vil., Cornwall, 2 miles
S; of Padstow, 1224 ac.; pop. 215.
Petherwin, North, par. and vil., Devon—par., 8157
ac., pop. 857; vil., 4% miles NW. of Launceston; p.o.
Petherwin, South, par. and vil., Cornwall—par.,
4968 ac., pop. 826 ; vil., 2% m. SW. of Launceston; p.o.
Petit Hot Bay, Icart Bay, S. coast of Guernsey,
Channel Islands, 3% miles SAV. of St Peter Port.
Petit Iham, non-corporate member of Hastings
Cinque Port Liberty, Hastings St Leonard on Sea par.,
Sussex, 46 ac. See Pevensey, Lowey of.
Petit Port, cove, Moulin Huet Bay, on S. coast
of Guernsey, Channel Islands, 2 miles S. of St Peter
Petit Tor, eminence, on E. coast of Devon, 2 miles
N. of Torquay; marble is quarried here.
Petrockstow, par. and vil., Devon—par., 4000 ac.,
pop. 510; vil., 4 miles NW. of Hatherleigh ; P.O.
Petsoe Manor, par., Bucks, 2 miles SE. of Olney,
411 ac., pop. 8.
Pett, par. and vil., Sussex—par., 1941 ac. (13 water)
and 253 foreshore, pop. 283; vil., 4 miles NE. of
Pettaugh, par., Suffolk, 2 miles SAV. of Debenham,
794 ac., pop. 196.
Petterll, hamlet, Hesketin the Forest par., Cumber-
land, on river Peteril, 9 miles NW. of Penrith; in
vicinity are Pettcril Bank and Petteril Green, seats.
Petteril, The, river, Cumberland; rises in 2 head-
streams near Penruddock, and flows 21% miles NE. and
NW. to the Eden at Carlisle.
Pettlgoe, small market town with ry. sta., Drum-
keeran and Templecarne pars., cos. Donegal and Fer-
managh, on river Termon, near Lough Erne, 16% miles
NE. of Ballyshannon and 23% miles NW. of Enniskillen,
pop. 468 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Monday.
Pettlnaln, par. and vil., Lanarkshire, on river Clyde
—par., 3900 ac., pop. 360; vil., 3 miles S. of Carstairs
Junction ; P.O.
Pellisircc, par. and vil., Suffolk, 4 miles NE. of
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)