Pill, vil. with ry. sta., Easton in Gordano par., and
eccl. dist. partly also in Portbury par., Somerset—
dist., pop. 1745; vil., on river Avon, 5 miles NAV. of
Bristol; P.O., T.O.
Pill.-—rivulet, SW. co. Kilkenny; flows 8 miles
SW. to river Suir near Fiddown. — 2. Pill, rivulet,
S. co. Wexford; flows 11 miles S. to the head of Ban-
Pill Creek, in Falmouth Harbour, Cornwall; pene-
trates 1% mile.
Pill Priory, ruined priory, at top of Hubberstone
Creek, Pembrokeshire, near Milford.
Pillar Mountain, Cumberland, 3% miles SE. of foot
of Ennerdale AVater, alt. 2927 ft.; on its NW. side, at
foot of mountain, is tbe Pillar Rock, one of the most
dangerous crags in the Lake District.
Pillaton, par. and vil., Cornwall, on river Lynher,
4% miles NE. of St Germans, 2478 ac., pop. 338.
Pillerton Hersey, par., AVarwickshire, 7% miles SE.
of Stratford on Avon, 1390 ac., pop. 150; P.O.
Pillerton Priors, par., Warwickshire, adjacent to
Pillerton Hersey, 1460 ac., pop. 138; P.O.
Pillesdon Pen, hill, Dorset, 7 miles NE. of Lyme
Regis ; alt. 910 ft.
Pilletk, par., Radnorshire, on river Lugg, 3 miles
SW. of Knighton, 1897 ac., pop. 121.
Pilley.—hamlet, Boldre par., Hants, 2 miles N. of
Lymington.—2, Pilley, vil., Tankersley par., S. div.
AVest-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles S. of Barnsley.
Pillgwenlly, eccl. dist., Newport St AVoollos par.,
Monmouthshire, in bor. of Newport, pop. 11,095; the
Newport Docks are here.
Pillhead Honse, seat, 1 m. NE. of Bideford, Devon.
Pilling, township and vil. with ry. sta., Garstang
par., N. Lancashire—township, 6060 ac., pop. 1620;
vil., on Lancaster Bay, 7 miles NAV. of Garstang by
rail; P.O., T.o.
Pilltown, vil., Fiddown par., S. co. Kilkenny, on Pill
rivulet, 3 miles E. of Carrick-on-Suir, pop. 396; P.O.,
T.O., called Piltown.
Pilinoor Junction, ry. sta., North-Riding York-
shire, 8 miles NE. of Boroughbridge sta. and 16 miles
NW. of York.
Pllning, eccl. dist. and vil. with ry. sta., Almonds-
bury and Henbury pars., Gloucestershire—dist., pop.
1098; vil., 9 miles N. of Bristol; P.O.
Pilshnry, hamlet, Hartington par., Derbyshire, on
river Dove, 8 miles SAV. of Bakewell.
Pllsdon, par., Dorset, in W. of co., 6 miles SW. of
Crewkerne, 648 ac., pop. 92.
Pilsgate, township, Barnackpar., Northamptonshire,
2% miles SE. of Stamford, pop. 125.
Pilsley.—township and vil., North Wingfield par.,
Derbyshire—township (partly in town of Claycross),
1594 ac., pop. 1821; vil., 6 miles SE. of Chesterfield;
P.O.; has collieries and ironworks.—2. Pilsley, town-
ship and vil., Edensor par., Derbyshire, 2 miles NE.
of Bakewell, 465 ac., pop. 231.
Pllson, hamlet, in co. and 4% m. SE. of Monmouth.
Pilswortk, township, Middleton par., SE. Lanca-
shire, partly in bor. of Heywood, 1483 ac., pop. 758.
Pilt. Down, hamlet, Maresfield par., Sussex, 2 miles
NW. of Uckfield; P.O.
Piltanton Burn, Wigtownshire; rises in Leswalt
par., and flows 13 miles E. to Luce Bay.
Pilton.—par., Devon, on river Taw, opposite and
mostly within the bor. of Barnstaple, 1861 ac., pop.
2003; Pilton House, seat, is 1 mile NAV. of Barn-
staple.—2. Pilton, hamlet, Penrice par., Gower, Gla-
morgan, near W. side of Oxwich Bay, 7 miles SE. of
Loughor.—3. Pilton, par., Northamptonshire, on river
Nen, 2% miles SW. of Oundle, 1473 ac., pop. 123.—4.
Pilton, par., Rutland, on river Chater, 4 miles NE. of
Uppingham, 332 ac., pop. 53.—5. Pilton, par. and vil.,
Somerset—par., 5593 ac., pop. 1113 ; vil., 2% miles SW.
of Shepton Mallet; P.O.
Piltown, co. Kilkenny; P.O., T.o. See Pilltown.
Pirnlto Lane, ry. sta., SW. Lancashire, 4% miles SAV.
Pimhill, hundred, Shropshire, 57,827 ac., pop.
10,577; contains Baschurch and Ellesmere.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)