Pltstone (or Piglitlestliornc), par., township, and
vil., Bucks, in E. of co.—par., 2459 ac., pop. 544;
township, 1655 ac., pop. 433; vil., 6 miles NW. of
Berkhampstead ; P.O., called Pltstone Green.
Pitt . See also Pit .
Pitt Portion, eccl. division of Tiverton par., Devon,
within Tiverton bor., pop. 1701.
Fittagowan, school, Blair Athole par., Perthshire.
Pittarthie Castle, ruin, Dunino par., Fife, 6 miles
S. of St Andrews.
Pitteadle Castle, ruin, Kinghorn par., Fife.
Pittenanc, par., Lanarkshire. See Pettinain.
Plttencriclf, seat, in par. and near Dunfermline, Fife.
Fittendriecli, seat, in par. and near Lasswade, Edin-
Pittemveeiii, pari, and royal burgh, seaport town,
and par. with ry. sta., Fife, on the Firth of Forth, 1% m.
AV. of Anstruther and 3% m. NE. of Elie—par., 663 ac.,
pop. 2119; pari, and police burgh, pop. 2087; royal
burgh, pop. 2116; town, pop. 2090 ; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks;
belonged originally to the priory (12th century), of
which some ruins remain, and was made a royal burgh
in 1542. A large number of the inhabitants are em-
ployed in the fisheries. Pittenweem is one of the St
Andrews Burghs, which return 1 member to Parliament.
Pittington, par., township, and ry. sta., Durham—
par. (containing Shadforth and Sherburn), 6707 ac.,
pop. 6523; township, 2491 ac., pop. 2206; contains
Nortli Pittington, vil., 3% miles NE. of Durham; P.O.
Coal mines and limestone quarries are in the par. The
church (restored 1855) is Early Norman.
Plttlewortk, hamlet, 3 m. SW. of Stockbridge, Hants.
Pittodrie, seat, Chapel of Garioch par., Aberdeen-
shire, 1% mile SAV. of Pitcaple ry. sta.
Pilton, vil., Alderbury par., Wilts, 4 miles E. of Salis-
bury; P.O. See Earley with Pitton.
Pittricliie, seat, Udny par., Aberdeenshire, 3 miles
SE. of Old Meldrum.
Pitts, hamlet, Bishopstone near Salisbury par., Wilts,
4 miles SW. of Salisbury.
Pitts Head, rock, 3 miles N. of Beddgelert, Carnar-
Pitts Hill, ry. sta., Staffordshire, 6 miles NW. of
Pitt vllle, eccl. dist., Cheltenham par., Gloucestershire,
pop. 3762; P.O., T.O.
Pitullie and Sandltaven, conjoint fishing vil., Pit-
sligo par., Aberdeenshire, on the Moray Firth, 3 miles
AV. of Fraserburgh, pop. 585 ; p.o. at Sandliaven.
Plxley, par. and vil., Herefordshire, in E. of co., 3%
miles AV. of Ledbury, 655 ac., pop. 99.
Pixton House, 4 m. SE. of East Grinstead, Sussex.
Pixton Park, seat, 1% m. SE. of Dulverton,Somerset.
Place Fell, mountain, AVestmorland, 1 mile NE. of
Patterdale, alt. 2154 ft.; has a slate quarry.
Place House.—(formerly Prideaux Castle), at W.
end of Padstow, Cornwall; was built in the reign of
Queen Elizabeth, and occupies the site of a monastery
destroyed by the Danes in 981.—2. Place House, seat,
near Fowey, Cornwall.—3, Place House, seat, St
Anthony in Roseland par., Cornwall, 2 miles S. of
Gerrans.—4. Place House, seat, 5 miles NE. of St
Pladda.—island, Jura par., Argyllshire, pop. 10.—
2. Pladda, island, Kilmory par., Buteshire, off SE.
point of Arran island, pop. 17 ; has a lighthouse, with
2 fixed lights 130 and 77 ft. above high water and seen
17 and 14 miles.
Plaidy, ry. sta., in par. and 4% miles N. of Turriff,
Plalnmellor. See Plenmeller.
Plains, vil. with ry. sta., New Monkland par., Lan-
arkshire, on North Calder AVater, 2% miles NE. of
Airdrie, pop. 516.
Plaistow.—2 eccl. dists. (St Andrew and St Mary)
and ry. sta., in par. and pari. bor. of AVest Ham, Essex,
pop.—St Andrew, 9069; St Mary, 7859; the sta. is 5
miles E. of London, between Barking and Bromley (by
Bow).—2. Flats tow, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Bromley
par., Kent, pop. 2126; the sta. is 8 miles SE. of London,
1 mileN. of Bromley; near the sta. is Plaistow Lodge,
seat.—3. Plaistow, hamlet, Kirdford par., Sussex, 6
miles N. of Petworth.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)