Pomeroy, par. and vil. with ry. sta., mid. co. Tyrone
—par., 15,951 ac., pop. 5231; vil., 8 miles NW. of Dun-
gannon, pop. 438; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day,
Tuesday. Adjacent to vil. is Pomeroy House, seat.
Pomfret. See Pontefract.
Pomona (or Mainland), island, Orkney, pop. 17,165;
is the largest of the Orkney islands, being 24 miles E.
and W., and 164 N. and S. It is much intersected by arms
of the sea, no spot being farther than 44 miles from the
coast. The surface mostly consists of heath and moor-
land, hut some fertile valleys lie among the hills. It con-
tains the towns of Kirkwall and Stromness. See Orkney.
Pomphlett, vil., Plymstock par., Devon, 34 miles
SE. of Plymouth.
Pond Street, hamlet, Wendon Lofts par., Essex, 5
miles W. of Saffron Walden.
Ponders End, vil. with ry. sta., Enfield par., Middle-
sex, 3 miles S. of Waltham Cross sta. and 10 miles N.
of London; P.O., t.o.
Ponds, vil., Rathfarnham par., S. co. Dublin, pop.
(with Rathfarnham) 746.
Ponds Bridge, eccl. dist., Whittlesey par., Cam-
bridgeshire, and Ramsey and Standground pars., Hunt-
ingdonshire, pop. 658.
Ponfeigli, collier vil. with ry. sta., Carmichael par.,
Lanarkshire, near Douglas AVater, 6 m. S. of Lanark.
Poniei Water, Lanarkshire; flows 94 miles NE.
along the border of Douglas and Lesmahagow pars, to
Douglas Water near Ponfeigh.
Ponsanootli, hamlet, St Gluvias and St Stithians
pars., Cornwall, 7 miles SW. of Truro ; P.O.
Ponsbornc Park, seat, in co. and near Hertford.
Ponsonby, par., Cumberland, on river Calder, 2427
ac., pop. 166; contains the seat of Ponsonby Hall, 4
miles SE. of Egremont.
Ponsondine, seat, in SW. of Cornwall, in NE.
vicinity of Penzance.
Pont, river, Northumberland ; rises near Kirk-
heaton, and flows 16 miles E. to the Blyth, 2 miles
Pont1 Aberglaslyn, bridge over river Glaslyn, in
Aberglaslyn Pass, on border of Carnarvonshire and
Merioneth, 14 mile S. of Beddgelert.
Pont Bleiddyn, eccl. dist., Mold par., Flintshire, on
SE. side of Mold, pop. 2002.
Pont Bren. See Parsons Bridge.
Pont Cysylltan, aqueduct of the Ellesmere Canal,
over river Dee, Denbighshire, in S. of co., 4 miles E. of
Llangollen ; was constructed (1795-1805) by Telford ; is
1007 ft. long, and has 19 arches. A railway viaduct, of
9 arches, and 1531 ft. long, is in vicinity.
Pont Dolanog, eccl. dist., Llanfair-Caereinion,
Llanerfyl, Llangyniew, and Llanfihangel pars., Mont-
gomeryshire, pop. 333.
Pont Dolganwy, bridge across the river Conway,
Carnarvonshire, 7 miles S. of Conway.
Pont Dolgcfeiliau, bridge across the river Prysor,
Merioneth, 10 miles S. of Festiniog.
Pont Llanio, ry. sta., Cardiganshire, 3 miles SW. of
Pont Llanychaiarn, vil., Lower Llanbadarn-y-
Croyddin township, Llanbadarnfawr par., Cardigan-
shire, near Aberystwith.
Pont Robert, eccl. dist. and hamlet, Llanfihangel,
Llangyniew, and Meifod pars., Montgomeryshire—dist.,
pop. 359; hamlet, 12 miles SW. of Welshpool; P.O.
Pont Rug, ry. sta., in co. and 3| m. E. of Carnarvon.
Pont Yates, vil., in co. and4m. SE. of Carmarthen; P.O.
Pontac, vil. with ry. sta., S. coast of Jersey, Channel
Islands, on St Clements Bay, 2| miles E. of St Helier;
is a pleasant and picturesquely situated place, and a
favourite summer resort.
Pontamman, vil., on river Amman, Carmarthen-
shire, 2 miles NE. of Pantyffynnon Junction; has chemi-
Pontarcothy, vil., in co. and 6 miles NE. of Car-
Pontardawe, vil. with ry. sta., Killybebill par.,
Glamorgan, in AV. of co., on river Tawe, 8 miles NE. of
Swansea; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)