good anchorage to vessels of any size. On the pier head
is a fixed light, 25 ft. above high water and seen 9 miles.
Port Seaton, Haddingtonshire. See Portseaton.
Port Skillion, sheltered cove, on E. coast of Isle of
Man, below Douglas Head; is a bathing resort.
Port Soderick, coast hamlet with ry. sta., St Anne
par., Isle of Man, on Port Soderick Bay, 3 miles SW. of
Port Sonaclian, hamlet, Kilchrenan and Dalavich
par., Argyllshire, on Loch Awe, 8% miles SW. of Dal-
mally; P.O. ; has a pier and a ferry.
Port Stewart, vil. with ry. sta. (Portstewart) Bally-
agman par., N. co. Londonderry, near mouth of river
Bann, 3 miles W. of Portrush and 4 miles NW. of
Coleraine, pop. 556;. P.O., t.o., called Portstewart; is
a bathing resort, and has productive fisheries.
Port Talbot, small port with ry. sta., in S. of Gla-
morgan, on E. side of Swansea Bay, 12% miles NW. of
Bridgend ; P.O., T.O. ; is the port for Aberavon (2 miles
N.), has a floating harbour with great depth of water,
and is frequented by numerous coasting vessels. There
is communication between this place and Bristol by
steam packets. At Port Talbot are situated the Cwm
Avon Copper Works, the metal from which is used for
the copper coinage. See Aberavon.
Port Tennant, suburb of Swansea, Glamorgan, on
E. side of Swansea harbour; P.O.; has copper works.
Port Tallin, coast vil., Maughold par., Isle of Man,
2% miles SE. of Ramsey.
Port Tictoria, ry. sta., Kent, at W. side of mouth of
river Medway, 2 miles (by steamer) SAV. of Sheerness.
Port Wemyss, coast vil., Kilchoman par., Islay
island, Argyllshire, 15 miles SW. of Bridgend.
Port William, small seaport, Mochrum par., Wig-
townshire, on E. side of Luce Bay, 7 miles NAV. oc
AVhithorn and 11 miles SW. of AVigtown, pop. 755;
P.O., t.o., 1 Bank.
Port da Moulin, cove, on N. side of Sark, Channel
Port-e-Chee (Haven of Peace), a meadow, in E.
of Isle of Man, 1 mile NAV. of Douglas, and close to the
junction of the rivers Dhoo and Glas ; a house here was
the residence of the Duke of Athole before the erection
of Castle Mona.
Port-e-Yadda, bay, on E. coast of Isle of Man, 2%
miles NE. of Douglas.
Port-es-Seez, small cove, on W. side of Sark, Channel
Port on Craig, Fife. See Tayport.
Port of Monteith, ry. sta., Perthshire; P.O., called
Port Monteith Station. See Menteith.
Portacloy, creek, 2 miles E. of Benwee Head, N.
Portadown, market town and township with ry. sta.
(Portadown Junction), Seagoe and Drumcree pars., N.
co. Armagh, on river Bann and near Newry Canal, 18
miles N. of Newry, 25% miles SAV. of Belfast, and 88
miles N. of Dublin, 654 ac., pop. 7850; P.O., T.o., 3
Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Wednesday and
Saturday. Portadown has trade in agricultural produce,
and carries on the mfr. of linen, cambric, and sheeting.
Portaferry, market and seaport town, Ballyphilip
par., E. co. Down, on E. side of entrance of Lough
Strangford, 8 miles NE. of Downpatrick and 17 miles
SE. of Newtownards, pop. 1647; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Saturday. Portaferry has considerable
trade in coal, timber, and grain, and a productive her-
Portarlington, market town with ry. sta., Lea par.,
Queens co., and Clonyhurk par., Kings co., on river
Barrow and near a branch of the Grand Canal, 42 miles
SW. of Dublin, 455 ac., pop. 2357; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Portarlington
returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
Portaskaig, Argyll; P.O., T.o. See Port Askaig.
Portavoe, seat, 2 m. NW. of Donaghadee, co. Down.
Portavogie, 5 m. from Kircubbin, co. Down; P.O.
Portbury. — hundred, Somerset, 26,369 ac., pop.
1497; contains 12 pars.—2. Portbury, par. and vil.
with ry. sta., Somerset—par., 3849 ac. (130 water),
pop. 791; vil., 8 miles NW. of Bristol; P.O.
Portcarren, vil., on SE. shore of Lismore island,
Argyllshire, 5% miles NW. of Oban.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)