Preston le Skcrne, township, Ay cliffe par., Durham,
onr. Skerne, 6 m. NE. of Darlington, 2681 ac., pop. 135.
Preston (near Brighton), par. and ry. sta. (Preston
Park), Sussex, wholly within the bor. of Brighton, on
its NW. side, 1304 ac., pop. 8545; P.O., T.O.; the
Preston Viaduct is 67 ft. high, and consists of 27 arches.
Preston next Faversham, par., Kent, at Favers-
ham ry. sta., on S. side of Faversham, 1571 ac., pop.
2340; contains Preston Honse, seat.
Preston on the Hill, township, Runcorn par., Che-
shire, 1154 ac., pop. 560 ; contains Preston Brook, vil.
•with ry. sta., 6 miles SW. of Warrington; P.O., T.O.
Preston on Stour, par. and vil., Gloucestershire, on
r. Stour, 3 m. S. of Stratford on Avon, 1990 ac., pop. 273.
Preston under Scar, township, Wensley par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 2 m. W. of Leyburn, 2577 ac., pop. 362.
Preston upon Tees, township, Stockton on Tees
par., Durham, 1 mile N. of Yarm, 1136 ac., pop. 163.
Preston nponthe Wild Moors, par. and vil., Shrop-
shire, 3 miles NE. of Wellington, 923 ac., pop. 225.
Preston upon Wye, par. and vil., Herefordshire—
par., 1379 ac., pop. 227; vil., 64 m. S. of Weobly; P.O.
Prestonlield, seat, Duddingston par., Edinburgh-
shire, in SE. vicinity of Edinburgh.
Prestongrange, seat, in par. and 1| mile SW. of
Prestonpans, Haddingtonshire; the estate belonged to
the monks of Newbattle Abbey.
Prestonhali, seat, in par. and 1 m. NE. of Cupar, Fife.
Prestonholiu, vil., Cockpenpar., Edinburghshire, on
river South Esk, 34 miles SE. of Lasswade.
Prestonkirk, par., Haddingtonshire, on river Tyne,
54 miles W. of Dunbar, 7058 ac., pop. 1929 ; P.O., T.o.,
called Prestonkirk or Fast Linton. See LiNTON, East.
Prestomnill. See Preston, Kirkcudbrightshire.
Prestonpans, coast town (police burgh) and par.
with ry. sta., Haddingtonshire, on Firth of Forth, 8 m.
E. of Edinburgh—par., 1291 ac., pop. 2573; burgh, pop.
1610; town, pop. 2265; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; was long
famous for the mfr. of salt, and has now extensive
works for the mfr. of bricks, tiles, and other fire-clay
goods, a large brewery, and a soapwork. The oyster
beds off the shore are less productive than formerly. In
the vicinity of the town is the battlefield where Prince
Charles Edward Stuart defeated the Royalists under
Sir John Cope, 21st September 1745.
Prestons Bower, cave, on S. coast of Isle of Wight,
in SE. vicinity of The Needles.
Prestonvilie, eccl. dist., Preston par., Sussex, within
the parl. limits of Brighton, pop. 825.
Prestown, 5 miles from Clonee, SE. co. Meath; P.O.
Prestwich, town, par., and township with ry. sta.,
SE. Lancashire—par. (containing the mun. bor. of Old-
ham), 22,023 ac., pop. 179,230; town and township, 4
miles NAY. of Manchester and 5 miles S. of Bury, 1917
ac., pop. 8627; P.O., t.o.; has cotton mfrs., and con-
tains numerous villas of Manchester merchants; at
Prestwich is the county lunatic asylum.
Prestwich Division, parl. div. of SE. Lancashire,
Prestwick, township, Dinnington par., Northumber-
land,8m. NW. of Newcastle upon Tyne, 854 ac.,pop. 186.
Prestwick, vil. withry. sta., Monktonand Prestwick
par., Ayrshire, 24 m. N. of Ayr, pop. 1064; P.O., T.O.; is
an ancient burgh of barony, and has lands to the extent
of 800 ac. Prestwick is a favourite watering-place, and
is the headquarters of golfing in the west of Scotland.
Prestwick, New, vil., Monkton and Prestwick and
Newton-upon-Ayr pars., Ayrshire, 14 mile N. of Ayr,
Prestwold, par. and township, Leicestershire, 24
miles NE. of Loughborough—par., 4720 ae., pop. 799;
township, pop. 83 ; contains Prestwold Hall, seat.
Prestwood.—vil., Hughenden par., and eccl. dist.,
partly also in Great Missenden and Stoke Mandeville
pars., Bucks—dist., pop. 995; vil., 2 miles AY. of Great
Missenden; P.O.—2. Prestwood, township, Ellastone
par., Staffordshire, 7 m. N. of Uttoxeter, 450 ac., pop. 47.
Prestwood House, seat, in S. of Staffordshire, 34
miles NAY. of Stourbridge.
Prick willow, eccl. dist., Ely Holy Trinity, Ely St
Mary, and Littleport pars., Cambridgeshire, and Laken-
heath and Mildenhall pars., Suffolk, on E. side and
partly in city of Ely, pop. 1297; P.O.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)