Pwlldu.—fall, on river Machwy, in N. of Breck-
nockshire.—2, Pwlldu, hamlet, 4 miles SW. of Aber-
Pwlldu Bay, on the S. coast of Gower Peninsula,
Glamorgan, between Swansea Bay and Oxwich Bay.
Pwlldu Head, at its W. side, is the highest headland
in Gower, and commands extensive views.
Pwllglas, in co. and 8 miles SE. of Denbigh ; P.O.
Pwllheli, par. and mun. bor., seaport, and market
town with ry. sta., Carnarvonshire, in S. of co., on N.
side of Cardigan Bay, 21 miles SW. of Carnarvon and
251 NW. of London, 1017 ac., pop. 3242; P.O., T.O., 3
Banks. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Pwll-
heli consists of the whole of Denio par., with parts of
the pars, of Abererch and Llannor. It is an ancient
town, and received its charter of incorporation from the
Black Prince, the charter being confirmed in 1422 by
Henry VI. From its attractive situation and the
magnificence of its surrounding scenery, as well as the
splendid views of the full extent of Snowdon to be
obtained here, Pwllheli offers great and varied attrac-
tions as a place of tourist resort. It has risen into repute
as a watering-place. The port is a sub-port to Beaumaris;
the harbour has accommodation for vessels of 60 tons,
and a good coasting trade is carried on, besides con-
siderable inland trade. Lobster and oyster fisheries are
briskly prosecuted. There are, besides the markets,
several important cattle fairs. Pwllheli forms one of
the Carnarvon District of Parliamentary Boroughs,
which returns 1 member.
Pwii-y-Crochan, seat, Denbigh, 3 m. NE. of Conway.
Pwllypant, ry. sta., 2 miles NE. of Caerphilly sta.,
Pydcr, hundred, Cornwall, consisting of 2 divisions—
East Division, 61,078 ac., pop. 13,500; West Division,
20,892 ac., pop. 3251; the hundred contains 21 pars.
Pye Bridge, sta. on Midland Railway, on border of
Derbyshire and Notts, 8 miles S W. of Mansfield; P.O.
Pye Hill, sta. on Great Northern Railway, on border
of Derbyshire and Notts, between Codnor Park and
Pyecoiube, par. and vil., Sussex—par., 2286 ac., pop.
343 ; vil., 6 m. N. of Brighton ; P.O., called Piecombe.
Pyenest, seat, near Halifax, AYest-Riding Yorkshire.
Pyle, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Glamorgan—par.,
1637 ac., pop. 938 ; vil., 7 miles SE. of Aberavon ; P.O.,
T.O.; has collieries, cokeworks, and ironworks.
Pylewell Park, seat, near Lymington, Hants.
Pylle, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Somerset, 9 miles
E. of Glastonbury, 1055 ac., pop. 267; near the vfl. is
Pylle House, seat.
Pymoor, hamlet, 6 m. NW. of Ely, Cambridge; P.O.
Pymorc, hamlet, 1 mile N. of Bridport, Dorset.
Pynes, The, seat of Lord Iddesleigh, Upton Pyne
par., Devon, 2 miles N. of Exeter.
Pyrford (or Pirford), par. and vil., Surrey, on
river Wey, 7 miles NE. of Guildford, 1881 ac., pop. 343.
Pyrland Hall, seat, 14 m. N. of Taunton, Somerset.
Pyrton.—hundred, Oxfordshire, in S. of co., 14,163
ac., pop. 3324 ; contains 7 pars, and part of another.—
2. Pyrton, par. and vil., Oxfordshire, in S. of co., 7
miles NE. of Wallingford ry. sta., 4847 ac., pop. 566.
Pytchley, par. and vil., Northamptonshire—par.,
2833 ac., pop. 561; vil., 3 miles S. of Kettering; P.O.;
in vicinity is Pytchley Hall, seat.
Pythouse, seat, near Tisbury, Wilts.
Pyworthy, par. and vil., Devon—par., 5061 ac., pop.
501; the vil. is 2 miles W. of Holsworthy.
Qnadring, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 2 miles SE.
of Donnington, 4210 ac., pop. 900; P.O.
Quaich, rivulet, Perthshire; flows 7 miles E. to the
head of Loch Freuchie.
Quainton (or Quinton), par., township, and vil.
(ry. stations Quainton and Quainton Road), Bucks—
par., 5346 ac., pop. 865 ; township, 3805 ac., pop. 804;
vil., 64 miles NW. of Aylesbury; P. O., called Queynton;
Quainton Hill is famous for its fossils.
Quair Water, Traquair par., Peeblesshire; flows 7
miles NE. to the Tweed near Innerleithen.
Quakers Island (or Inchclerann), in Lough Ree,
SW. co. Longford; has church ruins.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)