Rcddall Hill, eccl. dist., Rowley Regis par., Stafford-
shire, 24 miles S. of Dudley, pop. 7338.
Redding, collier vil., Polmont par., Stirlingshire, 24
miles SE. of Falkirk, pop. 520 ; P.O.
Reddingiuuirhead, 2 miles AY. of Polmont sta.,
Reddish, township and ry. sta., Man Chester par., SE.
Lancashire, 2 miles N. of Stockport, 1541 ac., pop.
5557; P.O., t.o., and P.O. at Reddish Lane. See
Redditch, manufacturing town, chiefly in Tardebigg
and Feckenham pars., AYorcestershire, but partly also
in Ipsley par., AYarwickshire, on river Arrow, 13 miles S.
of Birmingham by rail—township (wholly in Tardebigg
par.), 5544 ac., pop. 7740; town, 926 ac., pop. 9961;
P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Redditch has mfrs.
of needles, hooks and eyes, and fishing tackle; in the
vicinity is Besly papermill.
Rede.—(or Reed), river, Northumberland; rises at
Redswire, under Carter Fell, in the Cheviots, and flows
21 miles SE. through Redesdale to the North Tyne at
Reedsmouth ry. sta.; one of the last Border skirmishes
took place at Redswire in 1575.—2. Rede (or Reed),
par. and vil., Suffolk, 7 miles SAY. of Bury St Edmonds,
1224 ac., pop. 224.
Redenhall (with Harleston), par. and vil., Nor-
folk, on river AYaveney—par. (containing town of
Harleston), 3714 ac., pop. 1731; vil., 14 mile NE. of
Redenham, hamlet, Fyfield par., Hants, 54 miles
NAY. of Andover; Redenham Mouse is the seat of the
Redesdale, valley of river Rede, Northumberland;
extends from the Border at Carter Fell to the North
Tyne at Reedsmouth, and is 21 miles long ; gives the
title of earl to the Mitford family. See Rede.
Redfern, vil., Kenilworth par., in co. and 4 miles N.
Redford.— seat, in par. and near Colinton, Edin-
burghshire.—2. Redford, vil., Dysart par., Fife, on
river Ore, 34 miles NAA7. of Kirkcaldy ; has flax works.
—3. Redford, vil., Carmylie par., Forfarshire, 7 miles
NAY. of Arbroath.—4. Redford, seat, Muiravonside
par., Stirlingshire, near river Avon, 4 miles,SAY. of
Redghill, Somerset. See Ridgehill.
Redgill, hamlet, in par. and near Orton, AYest-
Redgorton, par., Perthshire, on river Tay, 6007 ac.,
pop. 1452 ; P.O.; the church is 1 mile SAY. of Luncarty
ry. sta.; the par. consists of a main body and a de-
tached NAY. portion, the barony of Mullion.
Redgrave, par., township, and vil., Suffolk, 7 m. NAY.
of Eye—par. (containing Bottesdale), 3353 ac., pop.
1109; township, pop. 557; P.O.; Redgrave Hall, seat,
occupies the site of a residence of the abbots of Bury.
Redhall, seat, Colinton par., Edinburghshire, on
AYater of Leith, near Slateford.
Redhill.—eccl. dist., Havant and AYarblington pars.,
Hants, on Langston harbour, 2 miles E. of Havant,
pop. 392.—2. Redhill, hamlet, Sandon and AYalling-
ton pars., Herts, 4 miles NAY. of Buntingford.—3.
Redhill, hamlet, AYrington par., Somerset, 7 miles
NE. of Axbridge.—4. Redhill, dist. and ry. sta. (Red
Hill Junction), Reigate par., Surrey, forming E. part
of bor. of Reigate, pop. 11,206 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank,
1 newspaper; the sta. is 2 miles E. of Reigate sta. and
20 miles S. of London.—5. Redhill, hamlet, Binton
par., AYarwickshire, 3 miles NAY. of Stratford on Avon.
Redhill, 1 mile from Dromore, AY. co. Down ; P.O.
Rcdhills, ry. sta., 4 miles E. of Belturbet, N. co.
Redhouse, vil., Kincardine par., Perthshire, 24 miles
S. of Doune.
Redhouse Castle, ruin, on S. border of Aberlady
Redhythe Point, headland, Fordyee par., Banff-
shire, 14 mile NAY. of Portsoy.
Redisham, par. and vil., Suffolk, 34 miles S. of
Beccles, 733 ac., pop. 181 :P.o.
Redisham, Little, former par., now in Ringsfield
par., Suffolk, adjacent to Redisham; contains Little
Redisham Hall, seat.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)