Dumbartonshire, on river Leven, 2£ miles N. of Dum-
barton by rail—quoad sacra par., pop. 4387; town
pop. 4319 ; P.O., T.O.; was founded in 1782, and carries
on calico-printing, bleaching, and dyeing. Tobias
Smollett (1721-1771), the novelist, was born in the
neighbourhood.—2. Renton, school, Coldingham par.,
Berwickshire, 1 mile SE. of Grants House ry. sta.;
Renton House, seat, on Eye Water, is in vicinity.
Rentonhall, seat, Morham par., Haddingtonshire,
24 miles SE. of Haddington.
Rentscombc, vil., Worth Matravers par., Dorset, 3
miles S. of Corfe Castle.
Rcnwick, par. and vil., Cumberland, 3 miles NE. of
Kirkoswald, 4299 ac., pop. 258.
Rcorsby, Leicestershire. See Rearsby.
Repentanee Tower, conspicuous tower of 15th
century, in N. of Cummertrees par., Dumfriesshire, 4
miles SW. of Ecclefechan.
Rephain. See Reepham.
Repps, North, par. and vil., Norfolk, 3 miles SE. of
Cromer, 2731 ac., pop. 573; P.O.; near vil. is North
Repps Hall, seat.
Repps, South, par. and vil., Norfolk, 44 miles SE.
of Cromer, 2081 ac., pop. 831; P.O.
Repps with Rastwick, par., Norfolk, 4| miles NE.
of Acle, 1229 ac., pop. 261.
Rcpton, par., township, and vil. (ry. sta. Repton
and Willington), Derbyshire, 4 miles NE. of Burton-
on-Trent—par., 5487 ac., pop. 2060; township, pop.
1724; P.O., T.O. Repton was a seat of the Mercian
kings, and has numerous remains of antiquity. A
nunnery was founded here in the 7th century, and a
priory, which has left some traces, in 1172. The school,
which ranks high among educational institutions, was
founded in 1556.
Repton anil Gresley, hundred, Derbyshire, 53,536
ac., pop. 31,103; contains 22 pars, and parts of 6 others.
Repton and Willington, ry. sta., in co. and 64
miles SW. of Derby.
Rere Cross, Yorkshire. See Rey Cross.
Rcrigoninm, site of ancient Caledonian town, on E.
shore of Loch Ryan, Wigtownshire.
Rerrick (or Rerwlck), coast par., Kirkcudbright-
shire, 19,980 ac., pop. 1807; the church is at Dun-
drennan vil., 5 miles SE. of Kirkcudbright.
Rescobie, par., Forfarshire, 6559 ac., pop. 685 ; the
church is on N. side of Rescobie Loch (1J mile long), 3
miles NE. of Forfar.
Resells (or Kirkmichael), par., Ross and Cromarty,
12,449 ac., pop. 1424; the church is 3 miles SW. of
Resolven, eccl. dist., township, and vil. with ry.
sta., Lantwit juxta Neath par., Glamorgan—dist., pop.
1578; township, 4671 ac., pop. 1293; vil., 6 miles NE.
of Neath; P.O.
Resort, Loch, sea-loch, on border of Uig par., Ross-
shire, and Harris par., Inverness-shire, on W. side of
Lewis island, Outer Hebrides ; is 7 miles long.
Rest and be Thankful.—a stone seat, in Glen Croe,
Argyllshire; is mentioned in verse of Wordsworth.—
2. Rest and be Thankful, resting-place, on E. side of
Corstorphine Hill, Corstorphine par., Edinburghshire ;
commands a fine view of Edinburgh city.
Rcstalrlg, ancient barony and vil., South Leith par.,
Edinburghshire, in NE. vicinity of Edinburgh. See
Restennet, ancient par., now in N. of Forfar par.,
Forfarshire ; has traces of a priory founded by David I.
Res ton, hamlet, Kendal par., Westmorland, 64 miles
NW. of Kendal.
Reston, vil. with ry. sta. (Reston Junction), Colding-
ham par., Berwickshire, on Eye Water, 8| miles NE.
of Duns and 11J miles NW. of Berwick upon Tweed by
rail, pop. 321; p.o.
Reston, North, par., Lincolnshire, 4 miles SE. of
Louth, 703 ac., pop. 35.
Reston, South, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 6 miles
SE. of Louth, 710 ac., pop. 238; near vil. is South
Reston Hall, seat.
Reston Junction, ry. sta., Berwickshire, 8| miles
NE. of Duns. See Reston.
Restorinel Castle, ruin, Lanlivery par., Cornwall,
on a hill overlooking the valley of the Fowey, in N.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)