dale, eccl. dist. and vil., North-Riding Yorkshire—dist.,
pop. 702; vil., on river Severn, 9 miles NW. of Pick-
ering; P.O., T.o., called Rosedale Abbey; the dist.
comprises the township of Rosedale, East Side, in
Middleton by Pickering par., on E. side of river Severn,
.5394 ac., pop. 393, and the township of Rosedale,
West Side, in Lastingham par., on W. side of river
Severn, 1080 ac., pop. 309 ; the valley extends 8 miles
SE. along the course of the Severn; at the vil. are
remains of a Benedictine priory.
Roseden, township, Ilderton par., Northumberland,
5 miles SE. of Wooler, 1565 ac., pop. 64.
Rosegarland, seat, 5 miles SW. of Taghmon, S. co.
Rosegill, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles NW. of Shap,
Westmorland, on river Lowther.
Koscgreen, hamlet, Pagham par., Sussex, 4 miles
S. of Chichester.
Rosehall.—Lanarkshire. See Whifflet and Rose-
Hall.—2. Rosehall, seat, Creich par., Sutherland, 7
miles SW. of Invershin ; P.O.
Rosehaugh, seat, Avoch par., Ross and Cromarty,
4 miles SAY. of Fortrose.
Rosehearty, fishing vil., Pitsligo par., Aberdeenshire,
4½ miles AY. of Fraserburgh, pop. 1404; P.O., t.o., 1
Bank; is of ancient date, and was made a burgh of
barony in 1681.
Roscisle, hamlet with school, Duff us par., Elginshire,
2 miles SE. of Burghead.
Roseland, peninsula, Cornwall, between Gerrans
Bay and Falmouth Harbour.
Roscinarkct (or Rhosmarket), par. and vil., Pem-
brokeshire, 4 miles NE. of Milford, 1740 ac., pop. 366 ;
birthplace of Lucy Waters, mother of the Duke of
Rosemarkie, par. and vil., Ross and Cromarty, on
Moray Firth—par. (containing the pari, and royal burgh
of Fortrose), 6675 ac., pop. 1357 ; vil. (forming part of
the pari, and royal burgh of Fortrose), pop. 382 ; P.O.
Rosemead, seat, 2 miles NE. of Delvin, NE. co.
Roseinodrls Circle (or The Merry Maidens), stone
circle, St Buryan par., Cornwall, 5 miles SAY. of Pen-
zance ; consists of 19 stones, 15 of which are standing.
Rosemont, vil., Taney par., S. co. Dublin, 2 miles
from Dundrum sta., which is 4 miles SE. of Dublin,
Rosemount.—seat, Symington par., Ayrshire, 2 miles
NE. of Monkton sta.—2. Rosemount, seat, Montrose
par., Forfarshire, 1 mile NW. of Dubton sta.—3. Rose-
monnt, ry. sta., in par. and 1¼ mile SE. of Blairgowrie,
Rosemount, 3 miles from Ballymoney, N. co.
Rftsemnllion Head, headland, Cornwall, on S. side
of Falmouth Bay.
Roscnallis, par. and vil., N. Queens co.—par. (con-
taining part of Mountmellick), 14,118 ac., pop. 3864;
vil., 3 m. NAV. of Mountmellick, pop. 157 ; P.O.
Roseneath, par. and vil., Dumbartonshire—par.
(forming a peninsula between Loch Long and Gare
Loch), 8461 ac., pop. 1994; vil., on W. shore of Gare
Loch, 2¼ miles W. of Helensburgh; P.O., T.O.; has a
quay for the Clyde steamers. Roseneath Castle, a
seat of the Duke of Argyll, is 1 mile SE. of vil.
Rosepenna Sands, on E. side of Sheep Haven, N. co.
Roserlt Abbey, ruin, 4 miles N. of Ballina, N. co.
Mayo, on river Moy.
Roses, vil., Drum cliff par., N. co. Sligo, pop. 281.
Roses Lane Ends, 5 miles from Crumlin, S. co.
Rosetta, seat, in co. and 1 mile NW. of Peebles.
Rosewell, quoad sacra par. and vil., Lasswade par.,
Edinburghshire—quoad sacra par., pop. 2129 ; vil.,
near Hawthornden sta., pop. 1394; P.O.; the inhabit-
ants are chiefly employed in the neighbouring coal
Rosgill, Westmorland. See Rosegill.
Rosglass, small harbour, on E. Side of Dundrum
Bay, S. co. Down.
Rosguil, peninsula, N. co. Donegal, between Sheep
Haven and Mulroy Bay.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)