Ross Island, in Lower Lake of Killarney, mid. co.
Kerry, 158 ac., pop. 12.
Ross Priory, seat, Kilmaronock par., Dumbarton-
shire, on SE. side of Loch Lomond, 44 miles NE. of
Ross and Burnmouth, conjoint fishing vil. withry.
sta. (Burnmouth), Mordington and Ayton pars., Ber-
wickshire, 6 miles NW. of Berwick-on-Tweed, pop. 371.
Ross and Cromarty, maritime co., in NW. of Scot-
land; area, 2,003,065 ac., pop. 78,547. It consists of a
mainland portion which comprises all the detached sec-
tions of Cromarty, and an insular portion properly
called Boss-shire which includes Lewis island (exclud-
ing Harris) and a number of smaller islands in the
Outer Hebrides. The mainland portion extends 67 m.
N. and S. between Sutherland and Inverness-shire, and
75 miles E. and AV. between the Moray Firth and the
Atlantic Ocean. On the E. coast, which affords good
harbours, are the Dornoch Firth, Cromarty Firth, and
Beauly Firth ; and of numerous indentations along the
W. coast the largest are Loch Broom, Gruinard Bay,
Loch Ewe, Loch Torridon, Loch Carron, and Loch
Alsh. The largest streams are the Oykell, the Alness,
and the Conon, which flow to the Moray Firth. The
chief inland lochs are Maree, Fannich, Luichart, Sheal-
lag, and Bosyne. Of the 3 great divisions of the co.,
Easter Ross, including all the low land between the
Dornoch and Cromarty Firths, is fertile and well culti-
vated ; Mid. Ross, including the district (known as
the Black Isle) between the Cromarty Firth and the
Moray and Beauly Firths, is mostly under good culti-
vation ; while Wester Ross, including by far the greater
portion of the co., is altogether of a highland character,
and abounds in rugged mountains, beautiful lochs, and
wild glens. Sheep farming and cattle grazing are ex-
tensively pursued. (For agricultural statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) The distilling of whisky is the sole mfr.
The fisheries, coast and inland, are extensive and valu-
able. The co. comprises 31 pars, with parts of 2 others,
the parl. and police burghs of Cromarty, Dingwall,
and Tain (part of the AVick Burghs), the parl. and
police burgh of Fortrose (part of the Inverness Burghs),
and the police burghs of Invergordon and Stornoway. It
returns 1 member to Parliament.
Ross of Mnll, peninsula, in SW. of Mull island,
Argyllshire. See Mull.
Rossall Hall, on coast of Lancashire, 2 miles SAA7. of
Fleetwood; was formerly the seat of the Fleetwood
family ; is now the North of England collegiate school
for clergymens sons and others.
Rossan Point, 2 miles N. of Malinmore, SAA7. co.
Donegal; has cliffs 460 ft. high.
liossbeliy, coast hamlet, 10 miles SW. of Killorglin,
W. co. Kerry.
Rosseahill, 5 m. from Oughterard, co.Galway ; P.O.
Rosscarbery, vil., Ross par., S. co. Cork, on Ross-
carbery Bay, 12 miles E. of Skibbereen sta. and 22
SAA7. of Bandon, pop. 693; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Ross-
carbery was the seat of the diocese of Ross, which was
united to that of Cork in 1586 ; the cathedral is used as
the parish church.
Rosscorkcy Island, Cleenish par., co. Fermanagh, in
Upper Lough Macnean, 27 ac., pop. 9.
Rossdhn, seat, in par. and 3| miles S. of Luss, Dum-
bartonshire, on AA7. side of Loch Lomond.
Rossdolian Island, Kilcrohane par., S. co. Kerry, in
Kenmare River, 134 ac., pop. 76.
Rossdrolt, par., AA7. co. AA7exford, on river Boro, 6
miles SAA7. of Enniscorthy, 8166 ac., pop. 1250.
RossdutT, par., E. co. AVaterford, on Waterford
Harbour, 3 m N. of East Dunmore, 196 ac., pop. 73 ; P.O.
Rosse Bay, in Lough Foyle, co. Londonderry, S. side
Rossce, par., S. co. Mayo, 7 miles SE. of Castlebar,
3700 ac., pop. 579.
Rossenarra, seat, 8 miles SAV. of Thomastown, AA7.
Rossend Castle, ancient mansion, in par. and adjacent
to Burntisland, Fife.
Rossendale Division, parl. div. of NE. Lancashire,
Rosses, The, wild maritime dist., Templecrone par.,
AV. co. Donegal.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)