Rumford and Craigs, conjoint vil., Muiravonside
and Polmont pars., Stirlingshire, near Polmont Junc-
tion, pop. 314.
Rumncy.—par. and vil., Monmouthshire, on border
of co. and on river Rumney, or Rhymney, 2½ miles NW.
of Cardiff, 2215 ac. land and 1160 water, pop. 445;
P.O.; on an eminence overlooking the river is an ancient
camp.—2. Rumncy. See Rhymney.
Rumps, The, headland, on W. side of Porthquin
Bay, Cornwall, near Padstow.
Rumsleigh, Devon. See ROMANSLEIGH.
Rumworth, township (ry. sta. Daubhill and Rum-
worth), Deane par., SE. Lancashire, partly in bor. of
Bolton, 1244 ac., pop. 4952 ; the sta. is 1 m. S. of Bolton.
Rtina Gal. See Mull, Sound of.
Runanirree, 5 miles from Ballyvourney, AY. co.
Rnnckton, hamlet, North Mundham par., Sussex,
2 miles S. of Chichester.
Runcorn, seaport town, par., and township, Che-
shire, on river Mersey, 12½ miles SE. of Liverpool and
28 SW. of Manchester by rail—par., 18,894 ac. (2140
water), pop. 22,350; township, 1153 ac., pop. 14,812;
town, 1490 ac., pop. 15,126 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 2 news-
papers. Market-days, Tuesday and Friday. Runcorn
is an ancient place, where a castle was founded in 916,
and a priory in 1133, but was a mere fishing village
until 1761, when it was made the terminus of the
Bridgwater Canal. It has spacious docks, and every
requisite for an extensive trade. (For shipping sta-
tistics, see Appendix.) The industries include ship-
building, ropemaking, tanning, quarrying, and the mfr.
of chemicals. Between Runcorn and AVidnes the
Mersey is spanned by a magnificent railway bridge.
Ruucton, North, par., Norfolk, 3 miles SE. of Kings
Lynn, 2239 ac., pop. 242 ; P.O.; contains North Rune-
ton Hall, seat.
Runcton, South, par., Norfolk, 4 miles NE. of
Downham Market, 831 ac., pop. 153.
Rundhurst, hamlet, Lnrgashall par., Sussex, 2 miles
SE. of Haslemere.
Bundle Stone, dangerous rock, on W. side of Mounts
Bay, Cornwall, 4 miles SE. of Lands End.
Rnnhall, par., Norfolk, on river Blackwater, 5½ miles
NAY. of AVymondham, 834 ac., pop. 192.
Runham, par. and vil., Norfolk, near river Bure—
par. (partly within the pari, limits of Yarmouth), 1715
ac., pop. 911; vil., 4 m. NAV. of Great Yarmouth; P.O.
Runney Mead, broad level meadow (now a race-
course), Surrey, on river Thames, in NAA*. vicinity of
Egham and 2 miles AV. of Staines ; here, or on Magna
Charta Island adjacent, King John signed the great
charter, Junel9,1215; RunneymeadPark, seat, ishere.
Runniugton, par., Somerset, on river Tone, 1 mile
NW. of AVellington, 323 ac., pop. 73.
Runsall, hamlet, Danbury par., Essex, 3 miles SW.
llunshaw Hall, seat, near Leyland, Lancashire.
Runstone, Monmouthshire. See St Pierre and
Runswick, fishing vil., Hinderwell par., North-Rid-
ing Yorkshire, on Runswick Bay, 8 m. NW. of Whitby.
Runton, par., Norfolk, 2½ miles W. of Cromer, 1448
ac. (195 water), pop. 506; P.O. at East Runton, a
fishing vil. 1¼ mile W. of Cromer; the par. contains
Runton Hall, seat.
Runwell, par. and vil., Essex, on river Crouch, 5
miles N. of Pitsea, 2073 ac., pop. 333; the par. con-
tains Runwell Hall, seat.
Rupa, Pembrokeshire. See Roch.
Ruperra Castle, seat, Glamorgan, near river Rhym-
ney, 4 miles E. of Caerphilly.
Rusco Castle, a seat of the Gordons of Lochinvar,
Anwoth par., Kirkcudbrightshire, 3 miles NAY. of
Gatehouse of Fleet; dates from the 15th century.
Ruscombc, par., Berks, 1 mile E. of Twyford and 5
miles NE. of Reading, 1294 ac., pop. 375.
Rush.—small seaport and ry. sta. (Lusk and Rush,
2 miles AY.), Lusk par., in co. and 16 miles NE. of
Dublin, pop. 1071; P.O., T.o.—2. Rush, shoal, near
Glascarrick Point, E. co. AYexford ; 4 miles long.
Rush Green, hamlet, Ware par., Herts, 1 mile S.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)