Saddell and Skipness, par., Argyllshire, on E. side
of Kintyre, 46,872 ac., pop. 1163.
Saddlngton, par., Leicestershire, 6 miles NAY. of
Market Harborough, 1050 ac., pop. 185.
Saddle Head, NAY. extremity of Achill island, W. co.
Mayo, 512 ft.
Saddle Yoke, mountain, in par. and 6 miles NE. of
Moffat, Dumfriesshire, alt. 2412 ft.
Saddleback, mountain, Cumberland, 4J miles NE.
of Keswick, alt. 2847 ft.
SailiUewood, vil., Hawkesbury par., Gloucestershire,
6 miles SW. of Tetbury.
SaddleworHi, township and manufacturing vil. with
ry. sta., Rochdale par., AYest-Riding Yorkshire—town-
ship, 18,797 ac., pop. 22,299; the vil. is 12 miles SAY.
of Huddersfield by rail, and, in conjunction with
numerous other villages in the township, carries on
mfrs. of woollen cloth, kerseymeres, and shawls.
Sadglll, ravine, AVestmorland, on W. side of Long
Saffron Hill, Hatton Gardens, Ely Rents, and
Ely Flace, par., Middlesex, in bor. of Finsbury, 30 ac.,
Saffron Walden, mun. bor., market town, and par.,
Essex, 15 miles S. of Cambridge and 43ij miles NE. of
London by rail, 7416 ac., pop. 6060; P.O., t.o., 2 Banks.
Market-day, Saturday. Saffron Walden has an iron
foundry, breweries, &c., and is an agricultural centre,
with markets for cattle, corn, and farm produce. It is
a place of great antiquity, with remains of a castle built
or rebuilt shortly after the Conquest. It was made a
mun. bor. in the time of Edward A7!.
Saffron Walden (or Northern) Division, parl. div.
of Essex, pop. 50,995.
Saggart, par. and vil., in co. and 9 miles SAY. of
Dublin—par., 4452 ac., pop. 853; vil., pop. Ill; P.O.
See Slieve Thoul.
Saham Toney, par. and vil., Norfolk—par., 4048 ac.,
pop. 1212; vil., lb mile NAY. of AVatton sta.; P.O.
Salghton, township and vil., Chester St Oswald par.,
in co. and 4 miles SE. of Chester, 1777 ac., pop. 344;
near the vil. is Salghton Hall, seat.
Sail Mhor, mountain, in NW. of Lochbroom par.,
Ross and Cromarty, alt. 2508 ft.
St Abbs Head, bold rocky promontory, Coldingliam
par., Berwickshire, 4 miles NW. of Eyemouth, alt.
310 ft.; was named after St Ebba, who founded a
monastery here about the middle of the 7th century ;
on the head is a lighthouse 29 ft. high, with flashing
light 224 ft. above high water and seen 21 miles.
St Agnes.—small seaport town and par., Cornwall,
4 miles NAA7. of Chacewater sta. and 9 miles NW. of
Truro, 8441 ac., pop. 4630; P.O., T.O. ; is the centre of
a rich tin mining district; adjacent to the town is St
Agnes Beacon, alt. 597 ft. ; and 1 mile distant is the
promontory of St Agues Head.—2. St Agnes, one of
the Scilly Islands, near the S. extremity of the group,
and 3g miles SAY. of St Marys, from which it is separated
by St Marys Sound; consists of 2 parts—St Agnes and
The Gugh, the former measuring 1 mile by g mile,
the latter 5 mile by ^ mile. The soil is rich and well cul-
tivated, and the cove affords excellent fishing. On the
summit of the island is a lighthouse 24 ft. high, with
revolving light 138 ft. above high water and seen 17
miles. A rock pillar and other Druidical remains are
on the island.
St Albans, mun. bor., city, and market town, Herts,
10 miles SE. of Luton and 20 NAY. of London by rail,
997 ac., pop. 10,931; P.O., T.o., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper.
Market-day, Saturday. St Albans stands on a hill
washed by the Yer rivulet, on the other side of which is
the ancient Roman town of Verulamium. It owes its
name to Alban, the first Christian martyr in Great
Britain, in memory of whom a monastery was erected
in 793 by Offa, King of Mercia. In the 12th century
the Abbot of St Albans obtained precedence over all
English abbots from Pope Adrian IV. (Nicholas
Brakespear), who was a native of St Albans. During the
Wars of the Roses 2 great battles were fought at St
Albans, in the first of which (1455) the Yorkists were
victorious, and in the second (1461) the Lancastrians.
The diocese of St Albans was formed in 1875. The
cathedral, formerly the abbey church, is a large and
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)