St Annes Head, promontory, on W. side of entrance
to Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire; has 2 lighthouses
75 and 42 ft. high, with fixed lights 192 and 159 ft. above
high water and seen 20 and 18 miles.
St Annes Hill, highest summit of the Marlborough
Downs, Wilts, 6 miles NE. of Devizes ; alt. 1000 ft. ; a
fair, locally known as Tan Hill Fair, is held on this hill
on 6th August.
St Annes Hill, hydropathic establishment, in co.
and 6 miles NW. of Cork, and 2 miles from Blarney ry.
sta.; P.O., T.o.
St Annes on the Sea, watering-place with ry. sta.
(St Annes), Lytham and Poulton le Fylde pars., N. Lan-
cashire, 4% miles S. of Blackpool, pop. 1179; P.O., T.o.,
1 Bank ; is a rising watering-place.
St Anns, Isle of Man ; P.O. See St Anne.
St Anns Heath, 1 mile N. of Chertsey, Surrey;
P.O.; in vicinity is St Anns Hill, seat.
St Anns Road, ry. sta., in N. of London, 3 miles
NE. of Highgate Road sta.
St Annes Shandon, par., in co. and pari. bor. of
Cork, 3143 ac., pop. 28,670.
St Anthony in Meneagc, par., Cornwall, 5% miles
SW. of Falmouth, 1419 ac. and 237 tidal water and
foreshore, pop. 217.
St Anthony in Roseland, par., Cornwall, on E. side
of Falmouth harbour, 3 miles E. of Falmouth, 753 ac.
and 440 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 120. On St
Anthonys Point is a lighthouse 62 ft. high, with re-
volving light 72 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles.
St Anthonys, ry. sta., Northumberland, 2% miles
E. of Newcastle; P.O.
St Anthonys Chapel, rnin, at N. base of Arthurs
St Apolline Chapel, ancient chapel (5th century),
in W. of Guernsey, Channel Islands, 4 miles SW. of St
St Arvans, par. and vil., Monmouthshire—par.,
2215 ac., pop. 486; vil., 2 miles NW. of Chepstow; P.O.
St Arvans Grange, par., Monmouthshire, adjacent
to St Arvans, 520 ac., pop. 19.
St Asaph (formerly Llanelwy), pari. bor. and market
town with ry. sta., Flintshire, and par., partly also in
Denbighshire—par. (containing part of Rhuddlan bor.),
11,346 ac., pop. 3177 ; bor., 5% miles N. of Denbigh and
211 NW. of London, 1155 ac., pop. 1901; P.O., T.o., 2
Banks. Market-day, Saturday. St Asaph stands on
an eminence in the Vale of Clwyd, near the confluence
of the Clwyd and the Elwy. The see is said to have
been founded, during his exile, by Kentigern, or St
Mungo, founder of the see of Glasgow, from whose
disciple and successor, St Asaph, the town and diocese
take their name. The present cathedral, the smallest
in Great Britain, dates from the close of the 15th cen-
tury. St Asaph is one of the Flint District of Parlia-
mentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.
St Athans, par. and vil., Glamorgan—par., 1531 ac.
and 236 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 378; vil., 6 I
miles SE. of Cowbridge ; P.O.
St Aubin, small town with ry. sta., St Bredale par.,
on S. coast of Jersey, Channel Islands, on W. side of
St Aubins Bay, 4 miles W. of St Helier ; P.O., T.o.; is
a well built, healthy, and agreeable town, occupying a
picturesque position; has a good beach, with firm
sands, and affords excellent facilities for bathing,
together with all the necessary comforts of a watering-
place. St Aubins Bay occupies the central part of
the S. coast, and is one of the largest and most pic-
turesque bays in Jersey; on its W. side, near the town,
stands St Aubins Castle, which is strongly fortified to
St Aitdeons, par., in city of Dublin, on S. side of
river Liffey, 34 ac., pop. 3556.
St Audries House, seat, 5 miles SE. of Watchet,
St Augustine, lathe, Kent, 169,978 ac., pop. 161,419;
contains Canterbury city, Deal, Dover, Margate, and
Sandwich towns, 13 hundreds, 2 liberties, and part of
the Cinque Port liberty of Hastings.
St Augustines (or Eastern) Division, pari. div. of
Kent, pop. 64,773.
St Austell, market town and par. with ry. sta.,
Cornwall, 1% mile W. of St Austell Bay, 14% miles NE.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)