Shandy Hall, picturesque old mansion, Coxwold
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 7% miles SE. of Thirsk
and near Coxwold Church ; Laurence Sterne (1713-68)
resided here for some years, and wrote his Tristram
Shandy and Sentimental Journey.
Shanes Castle, seat of Lord ONeill, in co. and 2
miles NW. of Antrim, on river Maine and Lough Neagh.
Shanganagh Castle, seat, SE. co. Dublin, 2 miles
N. of Bray.
Shangton, par., Leicestershire, 5% miles N. of Mar-
ket Harborough, 1590 ac., pop. 74.
Shanid, bar., W. co. Limerick, 84,075 ac., pop.
16,545; contains Shanid Hill, with ruined castle on
Sbankbridge, 4 m. from Ballymena, co. Antrim ; P.O.
Shankend, ry. sta., in S. of Cavers par., Roxburgh-
shire, 7 miles SE. of Hawick.
Shanklionse Colliery, 2 miles from Cramlington,
Shankill.—par., S. co. Antrim, mostly in bor. of Bel-
fast, 19,657 ac., pop. 194,700.—2. Shankill, par., cos.
Armagh and Down, on Lough Neagh, 13,082 ac., pop.
6292; containsLurgan.—3. Shankill, ry. sta., inco. and
9%m. SE. of Dublin, and 2% NW. of Bray; P.O., T.O.;
in vicinity is Shankill Hill, alt. 912 ft.—4. Shankill,
par., NE. co. Kilkenny, 6489 ac., pop. 1214; contains
Shankill Castle, seat, 3 miles SW. of Bagenalstown.—
5. Shankill, par., mid. co. Roscommon, 2 miles NAV.
of Elphin, 6610 ac., pop. 1195.
Skanklin, coast town and par. with ry. sta., in SE.
of Isle of AVight, on Sandown Bay, 3% miles NE. of
Ventnor and 9 miles SAA. of Ryde—par., 675 ac., pop.
1786; town (comprising Shanklin par. and part of
Brading par.), pop. 2740; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 news-
paper. Shanklin is a pleasant and rapidly growing
town, and shares with Sandown the splendid bathing
facilities of the bay on which it is situated. Immedi-
ately E. of the town is Shanklin Chine, a romantic
chasm, 180 ft. wide and 270 ft. deep, and fringed with
shrubs and small trees. Shanklin Down rises on its
right to an alt. of 775 ft.
Shanks House, seat, 3 miles SE. of AVincanton,
Shankston Loch, Kirkmichael par., Ayrshire.
Shanlis, par., W. co. Louth, 2 miles SW. of Ardee,
2035 ac., pop. 255.
Shannas, school, Old Deer par., Aberdeenshire.
Shannon, the largest river in Ireland; rises under
Cuileagh mountain, in co. Cavan, 258 ft. above sea
level, and flows SAV. to the Atlantic Ocean at Loop
Head, separating Connaught from Leinster and Mun-
ster ; length 254 miles. The largest loughs or expan-
sions on its course are Allen, Boderg, Bofin, Ree, and
Derg. Its principal affluents are Boyle AVater, the
Suck, and the Fergus on the right bank ; and the Cam-
lin, the Inny, the Little Brosna, the Nenagh river, the
Mulkear, the Maigue, and the Deel on the left bank. It
is connected with the Royal Canal at Richmond Har-
bour (co. Longford), and with the Grand Canal at
Shannon Harbour (Kings co.). The estuary of the
Shannon extends from Limerick to Loop Head, a dis-
tance of 70 miles, and is navigable for vessels of up-
wards of 1000 tons; and the main river is navigable for
small craft throughout nearly the whole length of its
course. Small trading steamers ply between Limerick
and Athlone. In the upper part of the estuary below
Limerick there are lighthouses at Loop Head, Kilcradan
Point, and Tarbert.
Shannon Bridge, vil., Clonmacnoise par., NW.
Kings co., onriver Shannon, 8 miles SE. of Ballinasloe,
pop. 193; P.O. The Shannon is here crossed by a
bridge of 16 arches.
Shannon Harbour, vil., Gallon par., W. Kings co.,
at junction of Grand Canal and river Shannon, 2% miles
N. of Banagher, pop. 145; P.O.
ShanoguestoYvn, 3 miles from Muckamore, S. co.
Shanrahan, par., S. co. Tipperary, on river Tar,
24,922 ac., pop. 3701; contains most of Clogheen.
Shantavny, hill, 3 miles NAA. of Ballygawley, S. co.
Tyrone, alt. 1035 ft.
Shantonagh, 8 miles SW. of Castleblayney, S. co.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)