Shan well House, seat, Orwell par., Kinross-shire, 3
miles W. of Milnathort.
Sliap, market town and par. with ry. sta., West-
morland, 12 miles SE. of Penrith—par., 27,177 ac. (310
water), pop. 1416; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day,
Monday. Shap is a place of considerable antiquity,
and has endowed schools for boys and girls, and fairs
in May and September; the chief features are the church
of St Michael, a 13th century structure, and the ruins of
Shap Abbey, founded about the close of the 12th cen-
tury. The town has risen into notice as a watering-
place and summer resort for invalids. A mineral
spring, with suits of baths and a large hotel, is situated
in a hollow of Shap Fell, 31? miles S. of the town.
Large granite quarries give employment to the in-
habitants; blue slate and limestone are also worked.
In the neighbourhood are some Druidical remains of
Shap Summit, 2| miles S. of Shap, Westmorland,
1000 ft. above sea-level; is the highest point of the
London and North-'Western Ry.
Shapinshay, island and par., Orkney, 1 m. N. of the
nearest part of Pomona and 4 m. NE. of Kirkwall, 6733
ac., pop. 974 ; is generally flat, and well-cultivated.
Shap wick.—par. and vil., Dorset—par., 3670 ac.,
pop. 432; vil., on river Stour, 4 miles SE. of Bland-
ford ; P.O.—2. Shapwick, par. and vil. with ry. sta.,
Somerset—par., 3781 ac., pop. 436 ; vil., 3 miles NW.
of Glastonbury; P.O. Shapwick House and Shap-
wick Manor House are seats.
Sharavogue, seat of the Earl of Huntingdon, 5 miles
S. of Parsonstown, W. Kings co. ; P.O.
Shardiow with Wilne, par., Derbyshire, 1580 ac.,
pop. 869; contains Sharillow, vil., 7 miles SE. of
Derby; P.O., T.O.; in vicinity is Sliardlow Hall, seat.
Shareshlll, par. and township, Staffordshire, 6 miles
NE. of Wolverhampton—par., 1985 ac., pop. 612;
township, pop. 342 ; P.O.
Shark, Lougli, on border of cos. Armagh and Down,
on the Newry Canal, 2 miles N. of Pointzpass.
Sliarleston, township and ry. sta., Warmfield par.,
S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles SE. of Wake-
field, 1199 ac., pop. 1890 ; P.O., called Sharlston
Common. Sliarleston Hall is a Tudor mansion.
Sharnal Street, ry. sta., Kent, 8J m. E. of Gravesend.
Sharnbrook, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 7
miles NW. of Bedford, 2880 ac. (including Colworth
Farm), pop. 826; P.O., T.O.; near the vil. is Sharnbrook
Sharnford, par. and vil., Leicestershire, on river
Soar, 4.j miles SE. of Hinckley, 740 ac., pop. 459; P.O.
Sharow, eccl. dist., township, and vil., Ripon par.,
Yorkshire—dist., pop. 850; township, 725 ac., pop. 380;
vil., b mile B- of Ripon sta.; P.O.
Sharp Point Tor. See Sharpetor.
Sharp Tor, eminence, in Dartmoor, Devon, 4 miles
N. of Ivybridge.
Sharpenhoc, hamlet, Streatley par., Bedfordshire,
7 miles NW. of Luton.
Sharperton, township, Alwinton par., Northumber-
land, on river Coquet, 7 miles NAY. of Rothbury, 966
ac., pop. 74; P.O.
Sharpetor (or Sharp Point Tor), eminence, Corn-
wall, 6 miles N. of Liskeard, alt. 1500 ft.; has ruins
of ancient British settlements.
Sharpham House, seat, Ashprington par., Devon,
on the Lower Dart, 2 miles SE. of Totnes.
Sharpies, township, Bolton le Moors par., SE. Lan-
cashire (partly within the parl. limits of Bolton, and
containing Ashley Bridge), 3999 ac., pop. 3710; Sharpies
Hall, seat, is 3 miles N. of Bolton.
Sharplow Point, rocky eminence, Dovedale, Derby-
shire, near border of Staffordshire, 5 miles NAV. of
Ashborne; affords one of the finest views of the sur-
Sharpness.—ry. sta., at Severn Bridge, 3b miles NW.
of Berkeley, Gloucestershire; P.O., T.O., called Sharp-
ness Point.—2. Sharpness, the N. point of Havengore
Island, Essex, 6 miles E. of Rochford.
Sharpnose, Lower and Upper, 2 small headlands,
on NW. coast of Cornwall, 4b and 5b m. N. of Bude.
Sharrington, par. and vil., Norfolk, 3b miles SW. of
Holt, 863 ac., pop. 216.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)