6. Shirley, eccl. dist. and vil., Solihull par., Warwick-
shire—dist., pop. 1263; vil., 6 miles SE. of Birming-
Shirley, seat, co. Monaghan; post-tn., Carrickmacross.
Shirley Common, Hants; P.O., T.o. See Shirley.
Shirleywich, vil., Weston on Trent par., in co. and
4 miles NE. of Stafford, on river Trent.
Shirrell Heath, hamlet, Droxford par., Hants, 2
miles S. of Bishops Waltham.
Shirwell, Devon. See Sherwill.
Sliiskine, hamlet, Kilmory par., W. coast of Arran
island, Buteshire, 10 miles SW. of Brodick ; P.O.
Sliitlington, township, Thornhill par., S. div. AVest-
Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles SW. of Wakefield, 3410 ac.,
Shitlington, High and Low, 2 townships, Wark
par., Northumberland, 2 miles SW. of Bellingham-
High Shitlington, 8604 ac., pop. 73; Low Shitlington,
1305 ac., pop. 43.
Shi ven, affluent of river Suck, NE. co. Galway, near
Mount Talbot; 12 miles long.
Shivering Sand, shoal, in Thames estuary, 9 miles
N. of Herne Bay.
Shobdon, par. and vil., in NW. of Herefordshire—
par., 3337 ac., pop. 379; vil., 7 m. NW. of Leominster;
P.O., T.O.; in vicinity is Shobdon Court, seat.
Shobrookc, par. and vil., Devon—par., 3835 ac.,
pop. 641; vil., 2 miles NE. of Crediton; P.O.; near
the vil. is Shobrooke Park, seat.
Shoby, par., Leicestershire, 4 miles NW. of Melton
Mowbray, 710 ac., pop. 35.
Shochie Burn, Perthshire; rises in Moneydie par.,
and flows 6 miles SE. to the Tay at Luncarty.
Shockerwick, hamlet, Bathford par., Somerset, 4
miles NE. of Bath.
Shocklach, par., Cheshire, on river Dee, 4-J? miles
NW. of Malpas, 2957 ac., pop. 325; the par. contains
the townships of Shocklach Church, 1278 ac., pop.
135, and Shocklach Ovlatt, 1848 ac., pop. 135.
Shoddesden, Lower and Upper, 2 hamlets, Kimp-
ton par., Hants, 6| miles NAY. of Andover.
Shoebury, North, coast par., Essex, adjacent to
South Shoebury, 1103 ac. and 1001 foreshore, pop. 196.
Slioebnry, South, coast par., Essex (containing
Shoeburyness), 1039 ac. and 3424 foreshore, pop. 2251.
Slioebnryness, vil. with ry. sta., South Shoebury
par., Essex, 3 m. SE. of Southend and 45 E. of London;
P.O., T.O.; has extensive artillery barracks at Slioe-
bnry Fort, and is a station for artillery practice; a
large brickfield gives employment to numbers of the
Sholdcn (or Shouhlen), par., Kent, 1 mile W. of
Deal, 1S16 ac. and 92 foreshore, pop. 386; contains
Sholden Lodge, seat.
Slioling (or Seholing),eccl. dist. andry. sta., St Mary
Extra Southampton and Hound pars., Hants, on E. side
and wholly within the parl. limits of Southampton,
pop. 2258; P.O.
Sliona, island, Ardnamurchan par., Inverness-shire,
in Loch Moidart, pop. 118 ; measures 1| by 3 miles.
Shooters Hill, eccl. dist., Plumstead and AA7ooIwich
pars., Kent, pop. 649; P.O., T.O. Shooters Hill (446 ft.)
was at one time a great haunt of footpads, and is men-
tioned by Byron in his Bon Juan. A grand view of
the metropolis is obtained from the summit.
Shooting Common, 1 m. from Bromley, Kent; P.O.
Shopland, par., Essex, 2\ miles NE. of Southend,
1054 ac., pop. 86.
Shorditch, 2 miles from Taunton, Somerset; P.O.
Sborc, South, eccl. dist. with ry. sta., Bispham and
Poulton le Fylde pars., Lancashire, forming a southern
suburb of Blackpool, pop. 3199; P.O., T.O.
Shore Island, Killadysert par., S. co. Clare, in river
Fergus, 28 ac., pop. 7.
Shoreditch, parl. bor. and par., Middlesex, in E. of
London, 648 ac., pop. 126,591; has stations on North
London and East London Railways, \ mile NE. of
Broad Street Station and \ mile NE. of Liverpool Street
Station. Shoreditch returns 2 members to Parliament
(2 divisions—viz., Hoxton and Haggerstone, 1 member
for each division); it was made a parl. bor. in 1885.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)