SW. co. Cork, in Roaringwatei Bay—East Skeam,
49 ac., pop. 24 ; West Skeam, 30 ac., pop. 21.
Skean, Lough, on border of cos. Sligo and Roscom-
mon, 7 miles NE. of Boyle.
Skcckling. See Bubstwick cum Skeckling.
Skeeby, township, Easby par., North-Riding York-
shire, 2 miles NE. of Richmond, 835 ac., pop. 159.
SketHngton, par. and vil., Leicestershire—par., 2132
ac., pop. 150 ; vil., 10 miles E. of Leicester ; P.O.; near
the vil. is SketHngton Hall, seat.
Skcffling, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire, on
river Humber, 4m. SE. of Patrington,1834 ac., pop. 166.
Skegby.—par. and vil., Notts, 3 miles W. of Mans-
field, 1467 ac., pop. 2401; P.O.; near the vil. is Skegby
Hall, seat.—2. Skegby, hamlet, Marnham par., Notts,
3 miles SE. of Tuxford.
Skeggles Water, lakelet, Westmorland, between
Kentmere and Long Sleddale.
Skegness, small town and par. with ry. sta., on coast
of Lincolnshire, 5 miles NE. of Wainfleet and 10 miles
E. of Spilsby, 1710 ac., pop. 1338 ; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks,
1 newspaper; is a sea-bathing resort, and succeeded a
walled town with castle which was swept away by the
sea towards the end of the 15th century.
Skelr Maoile Lighthouse. See Iron Rock.
Skelbo Castle, ancient seat of the Sutherlands, Lords
Duffus, in par. and 5 m. NAY. of Dornoch, Sutherland.
Skelbrooke, township, South Kirkby par., S. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 8 miles NAV. of Doncaster,
1147 ac., pop. 134 ; contains Skelbrooke Park, seat.
Skeld, hamlet with school, in S. of Sandsting par.,
Shetland, on Skelda Yoe.
Skeldale, the valley of Skell Beck, West-Riding
Yorkshire, descending eastward from Dallowgill Moor
to vicinity of Ripon.
Skelden, township, in par. and 6 miles SAV. of
Ripon, E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 990 ac., pop. 28.
Skelgill, on E. side of AVindermere, Westmorland,
1% mile S. of Ambleside ; has a hotel and a pier. Skel-
gill Wood is a favourite walk of tourists.
Skell Beck, stream, E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire;
rises on Dallowgill Moor and flows 10 miles E., through
Skeldale, to the Ure, near Ripon.
Skellflete, stream, East-Riding Yorkshire, falling
into the Humber near Broomfleet.
Skelllgs, Tbe, 3 insular rocks, 7 miles W. of Bolus
Head and 10 miles SAV. of Valentia island, SAV.
co. Kerry; include Great and Little Skelligs and
Lemon Rock, and swarm with sea-fowl. On Great
Skellig (710 ft. high) are the ruins of a monastery, to
which pilgrims formerly resorted, and the lofty rock
of St Michaels Pillar. Skelligs Lighthouse, on the
highest rock, 7% miles off shore, is 46 ft. high, with
fixed light 175 ft. above high water and seen 18 miles.
Skcllingthorpe, par. and vil., Lincolnshire—par.,
6220 ac., pop. 722 ; vil., 3% miles AV. of Lincoln ; P.O.;
in vicinity is Skcllingthorpe Hall, seat.
Skellow, township, Owston par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles NAV. of Doncaster, 952 ac.,
pop. 164 ; contains Skellow Grange, seat.
Skelly Nab, promontory, on W. side of Ullswater,
Skelmanthorpe, small town and township with
ry. sta., Emley and High Hoyland pars., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles E. of Shepley sta. and 6
miles SE. of Huddersfield, 1392 ac., pop. 3120; P.O.
Skelmersdale, town and township with ry. sta.,
Ormskirk par., SW. Lancashire, 4% miles SE. of Orms-
kirk, 1941 ac., pop. 5707; P.O., t.o., 1 Bank. Coal
mining and brickmaking are carried on. Skelmersdale
gives the title of baron to the Bootle-Wilbraham family.
Skcliuorlic, coast vil., Largs par., Ayrshire, and
quoad sacra par., partly also in Inver kip par., Ren-
frewshire—quoad sacra par., pop. 1264 ; vil., on Firth
of Clyde, 1% mile S. of Wemyss Bay ry. sta., pop. 757;
P.O., T.O.; is a watering-place, and has a hydropathic
establishment; Skelinorlie Castle, seat, is in vicinity.
Skelsmergh, township, in par. and 2 miles NE. of
Kendal, Westmorland, 2093 ac., pop. 367.
Skelton.—par. and vil., Cumberland—par., 7417 ac.,
pop. 726; vil., 6% miles NW. of Penrith; P.O.—2.
Skelton, township, in par. and 2 miles SE. of Howden,
East-Riding Yorkshire, 1544 ac. (286 water), pop. 232.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)