—3. Skelton, par., township, and vil., North-Riding
Yorkshire—par., 704 ac., pop. 261; township (partly
in Overton par.), 2473 ac., pop. 313; vil., 4 miles NW.
of York; P.O.; in vicinity is Skelton Hall, seat.—4.
Skelton, hamlet, Marske near Richmond par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles W. of Richmond.—5. Skel¬
ton (or Skelton In Cleveland), market town, par.,
and township, North-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NE. of
Guisbrough—par., 15,724 ac., pop. 15,333; township,
4263ac., pop. 7820; town, pop. 9374 ; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Wednesday. Skelton is a local govern¬
ment district, and has extensive iron mines. Skelton
Castle (12th century), once the property of the Faucon-
bergs, has been greatly modernised.—6. Skelton, town¬
ship and vil., Ripon par., E. div. West-Riding York¬
shire—township, 1926 ac., pop. 299 ; vil., on river Ure,
2½ miles NW. of Boroughbridge sta.; P.O., called
Skelton on lire.
Skelton cum Newby, eccl. dist., Ripon par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, comprising the townships of
Skelton, Givendale, and Newby with Mulwith, pop. 423.
Skelton in Cleveland, Yorkshire. See Skelton.
Skelton on Cre, Yorkshire. See Skelton.
Skelwlth, hamlet, Hawkshead par., N. Lancashire,
in Furness district, on river Brathay, 3 miles W. of
Ambleside and 4 N. of Hawkshead ; P.O., called Skel-
with Bridge; in vicinity is Skelwlth Force, a fine
waterfall on the Brathay; Skelwlth Brow, eminence,
is 1 mile from the hamlet. See Hawkshead with
Monk Coniston and Skelwith.
Skendleby, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 3½ miles NE.
of Spilsby, 1710 ac., pop. 270. Skendleby Hall, Sken¬
dleby Lodge, and Skendleby Thorpe, are seats.
Skene, par. and hamlet, Aberdeenshire—par., 10,246
ac., pop. 1787 ; hamlet, Similes W. of Aberdeen ; P.O.;
Skene House, seat, is 2¾ miles NW. of hamlet.
Skene, Loch, in par. and 11 miles NE. of Moffat,
Dumfriesshire ; measures 6 by 1§ furlongs, and is 1680
ft. above sea level.
Skenfrlth.—hundred, in NE. of Monmouthshire,
31,664 ac., pop. 3568; contains 10 pars, and parts of 2
others.—2. Skenfrlth (or Skinfrlth), par. and vil.,
Monmouthshire—par., 4720 ac., pop. 621; vil., on river
Monnow, 6 miles NAY. of Monmouth; P.O.; has ruins of
Skerdmorc Island, 9 miles NW. of Golam Head,
AY. co. Galway.
Skerky Island, Kilcrohane par., S. co. Kerry, in
Kenmare River, 82 ac., pop. 14.
Skerne.—river, Durham; rises near Kelloe, and
flows 19 miles S. past Darlington to the Tees at Croft.
—2. Skerne, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire, 2
miles SE. of Driffield, 2757 ac., pop. 176.
Skerr, par., Glamorgan, 7 miles AY. of Bridgend,
361 ac., pop. 11; forms part of Kenfig.
Skerray, hamlet, Tongue par., Sutherland, near
Skerray Bay, 5 miles NW. of Betty hill of Farr ; P.O.
Skerries, dangerous reef, off SE. coast of Devon,
2 miles NE. of Start Point; measures 3 miles by 4½.
Skerries, the name of numerous groups of rocky
islets, or insulated rocks, especially off the N. and W.
coasts of Scotland.
Skerries, seaport with ry. sta., Holmpatrick par.,
NE. co. Dublin, 4 miles SE. of Balbriggan and 18 miles
N. of Dublin, pop. 2227 ; P.O., T.O. Market-day,
Saturday. Skerries is of considerable importance as a
fishing port, and has a good roadstead. The strand, about
1½ mile in length, is well adapted for sea-bathing. There
is a factory here for the embroidery of muslin. Large
quantities of stone have been exported from quarries
in the neighbourhood. Off the coast are the islands
"•ailed The Skerries, within which is a broad beach of
sand dry at low water; they include Red, St Patricks,
Shenicks, and Colt islands.
Skerries, Out, group of islands, Nesting par., Shet¬
land. See Housie Skerries.
Skerries, Pentland. See Pentland Skerries.
Skerries, The, group of rocky islands, off coast of
co. Antrim, near Portrush.
Skerries Lighthouse, on the highest of the Skerries,
a group of rocky islands off NAY. coast of Anglesey; is
75 ft. high, with fixed light 117 ft. above high water and
seen 16 miles.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)