miles broad, and forms one of the safest harbours on
the English coast.
Soiitliannan, estate, AYest Kilbride par., Ayrshire,
4 miles S. of Largs ; belongs to the Earl of Eglinton.
Soutliaws, vil., North Meols par., SAV. Lancashire, 8
miles NAY. of Ormskirk.
Southay, hamlet, Kingsbury Episcopi par., Somerset,
5 miles SW. of Ilchester.
Southbank, ry. sta., North-Riding Yorkshire, on E.
side of mouth of river Tees, 3 miles E. of Middles-
brough ; P.O., T.O., called South Bank.
Southborough, town, Tunbridge par., Kent, 2 miles
N. of Tunbridge Wells, pop. 3870 ; P.O., T.O., and P.O.
at Sonthborougli New Town, 2 Banks. It is said that
the Cavalier section of the visitors to Tunbridge AVells
in Charles the Firsts time principally lodged at South-
borough, which has now numerous pleasant villas and
residences. There is a fine cricket ground.
Sontlibournc, eccl. dist. and vil., Westbourne par.,
Sussex, 2% miles E. of Havant, pop. 1094 ; P.O., T.O.
Southbroom (or St James), township, Bishops
Cannings par., AVilts, on E. side of Devizes, and partly
within its mun. limits, 2648 ac., pop. 3427; contains
Southbroom House, seat.
Sontliburgh, 2 miles NAV. of Hingham, Norfolk;
p.o. See BUbgh, South.
Southburn, township, Kirkburn par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, 3% miles SAV. of Driffield, 1103 ac., pop. 94.
Sontlicliurcli.—hamlet, Durham, in S. vicinity of
Bishop Auckland; P.O.—2. Soiithcbnrch, par. and
vil., Essex, 1% mile E. of Southend, 1732 ac., pop. 770.
Sontlicoates, township and ry. sta., Drypool par.,
East-Riding Yorkshire, wholly within the bor. of Hull,
1296 ac. and 293 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 16,308;
the sta. is 3% miles NW. of Paragon Station, Hull.
Soutbcot House, seat, in S. of Berks, 1% mile SAV.
Soutlulean, par., on SE. border of Roxburghshire,
on Jed AVater, 27,929 ac., pop. 724; P.O.; the church
is at Chesters, 7 miles SAV. of Jedburgh.
Southdown, hamlet, Owermoigne par., Dorset, in S.
of co., 7 miles SE. of Dorchester.
Sonthea emu Murrow, eccl. dist., Leverington and
Wisbech St Mary pars., Cambridgeshire, pop. 1044; con-
tains Murrow, vil. with ry. sta., 5 m. S W. ofWisbech; P. O.
Soutkease, par., Sussex, on river Ouse, 3% miles S.
of Lewes, 850 ac., pop. 100.
Sou (bend.—seaport and watering-place with ry. sta.
(Southend on Sea), Essex, on estuary of river Thames,
opposite Sheerness, 3 miles NW. of Shoeburyness and 42
miles E. of London by rail, pop. 7979; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank, 2 newspapers. Southend is conterminous with
Prittlewell par., is a local government district, and has
become a popular resort of Londoners during the sum-
mer and autumn months. The pier is nearly 1% mile
long, and has a tram-line for passengers arriving by
steamer. There are splendid baths, a literary institu-
tion, a reading-room, and all the appliances of a popular
watering-place. The view of the Thames is very pleas-
ant, and many of the houses command extensive sea
prospects. The town is rapidly rising in importance as
a place of commerce, and carries on an active coast-
ing trade. Steamers ply daily to Sheerness, Gravesend,
and London.—2. Southend, hamlet, in co. and 3 miles
NE. of Buckingham.—3. Southend, hamlet, in S. of
Bucks, 4 miles N. of Henley on Thames.—4. South-
end, hamlet, Bucks, 4 miles AV. of Leighton Buzzard.
—5. Southend, hamlet, Soberton par., Hants, 4 miles
SE. of Bishops Waltham.—6. Sontkend, hamlet, Wid-
ford par., Herts, 4 miles NE. of AVare.—7. Southend,
eccl. dist., Croydon par., Surrey, pop. 8528.—8. South-
end, hamlet, in AV. of Surrey, 9% miles NW. of Guild-
ford.—9. Southend, hamlet, South Damerham par.,
Wilts, 9% miles S. of Salisbury.
Sonthend, par. and vil., in S. extremity of Kintyre
peninsula, Argyllshire—par. (comprising Sanda island),
30,801 ac., pop. 955; vil., 9% miles SAV. of Campbel-
town ; P.O., T.O.
Southend on Sea, ry. sta., Essex. See Southend.
Southerfteld, hamlet, in NAV. of Cumberland, 6
miles W. of Wigton.
Southerleigh, hamlet, Sourton par., Devon, 6 miles
SAV. of Okehampton.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)