4 miles SAV. of Middlesbrough and 236 from London
by rail—par., 5343 ac. (168 water), pop. 42,242 ; town-
ship, 3162 ac. (150 water), pop. 41,719; pari. bor. (in-
cluding South Stockton local government district,
mostly in Stainton par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on
opposite side of river), 7157 ac., pop. 55,460; mun. bor.,
1184 ac., pop. 41,015 ; 4Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-
days, Wednesday Saturday. Stockton was long under
the bishops of Durham, one of whom built its castle,
which was dismantled after the Civil War, and has now
totally disappeared, its last remains having been removed
in 1865. Its commerce rose to importance through the
decline of Hartlepool about 1683, and was checked by
the recent rise of Middlesbrough, but is still large and
flourishing. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
The mfrs. formerly consisted almost exclusively of linen
and sailcloth, but the development of the iron mines of
Cleveland has led to a rapidly increasing trade in iron
smelting and rolling, iron shipbuilding, and the mfr. of
iron rails, iron bridges, marine engines, boilers, gas-
holders, &c. There are also potteries and bottle works.
Stockton is a well built town, and has many handsome
public edifices. It was incorporated prior to 1344, and
was made a parliamentary bor. in 1867. It returns 1
member to Parliament.—2. Stockton, township, in
par. and 2 miles NAV. of Malpas, Cheshire, 272 ac.,
pop. 35.—3. Stockton, ward, Durham, 100,186 ac.,
pop. 57,815; contains 22 pars, and part of another.
—4. Stockton, par., Norfolk, 3 miles NAA. of Beccles,
1051 ac., pop. 116. — 5. Stockton, par. and vil.,
Shropshire, 4 miles N. of Bridgnorth, 3162 ac., pop.
538. — 6. Stockton, par. and vil., Warwickshire—
par., 1800 ac., pop. 682; vil., 2 miles NE. of Southam
and 8 SAV. of Rugby; P.O., t.o.; blue lias lime is
manufactured; near the vil. is Stockton House, seat.
—7. Stockton, par., AVilts, 4 miles SE. of Heytesbury,
2000 ac., pop. 235; contains Stockton House, seat;
at Stockton Wood are vestiges of a Roman station.
—8. Stockton, par., AVorcestershire, on river Teme,
7 miles SAV. of Bewdley, 893 ac., pop. 123; P.O.—9.
Stockton, hamlet, Harewood par., E. div. AVest-Riding
Yorkshire, 7% miles N. of Leeds.
Stockton, North, ry. sta., Stockton, Durham.
Stockton, South, town with ry. sta., partly in
Stockton on Tees par., Durham, but chiefly in Stainton
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on r. Tees, opposite Stock-
ton and within its pari, limits, pop. 10,665 ; P.O., T.o.
Stockton Heath, vil., Great Budworth par., and
eccl. dist., partly in Runcorn par., Cheshire—dist., pop.
1816; vil., on the Bridgwater Canal, 1 mile S. of AVar-
rington ry. sta.; P.O., T.o.; has extensive mfrs. of spades.
Stockton on Tees, Durham. See Stockton.
Stockton on Teme, AYorcester. See Stockton.
Stockton on the Forest, par. and vil., North-Riding
Yorkshire—par., 3267 ac., pop. 446; vil., near AVarthill
sta. and 5 miles NE. of York; P.O. ; in vicinity is
Stockton Hall, seat.
Stock well and Stock well Green, 2 eccl. dists., Lam-
beth par. and bor., Surrey, iuS. of London, pop.—Stock-
well, 4479; Stockwell Green, 10,345; the stations are
Clapham and North Stockwell, 2% miles S. of Victoria
Station, and Brixton and South Stockwell, 1 mile E. of
Stockwith, East, eccl. dist., township, and vil.,
Gainsborough par., Lincolnshire—dist., pop. 411; town-
ship, pop. 324; vil., on river Trent, 3 miles NAV. of
Stockwith, West, township and vil., Misterton par.,
Notts, near confluence of rivers Idle and Trent, oppo-
site East Stockwith, and 4 miles NW. of Gainsborough,
pop. 662; P.O. Since the Idle was made navigable to
Bawtry, and since the construction of the Chesterfield
Canal, West Stockwith has risen to the position of a
flourishing river-port. It has an endowed school. An
annual fair for horses and cattle is held in September.
Stockwood, par., in NW. of Dorset, 6% miles SW.
of Sherborne, 692 ac., pop. 70.
Stockwood House, seat, in NE. of Somerset, 3 miles
SE. of Bristol.
Stockwood Fark, seat, lm.S. of Luton, Bedfordshire.
Stodday, hamlet, Lancaster par., N. Lancashire, on
Lune estuary, 4 miles S. of Lancaster; in vicinity
is Stodday Lodge, seat. See Ashton with Stodday.
Stoddcn, hundred, in N. of Bedfordshire, 29,301
ae., pop. 5753 ; contains 14 pars.
Stodhain Park, seat, near Petersfield, Hants.
Stodinarsh, par. and vil., Kent, 4 miles NE. of
Canterbury, 699 ac., pop. 134.
Stody, par., Norfolk, 3 miles SW. of Holt, 1277 ac.,
Stocr, quoad sacra par., Assynt par., Sutherland, on
Bay of Stoer, 5 miles SE. of the Point of Stoer and 6
miies NAV. of Lochinver, pop. 1391; P.O.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)