Stonehaven, seaport and co. town of Kincardineshire-
Dunnottar and Fetteresso pars., on Stonehaven Bay,
at the influx of the Carron and the Cowie, 16 miles
SW. of Aberdeen by rail, pop. 3957; P.O., T.O., 3
Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Thursday. It consists
of an old and a new town joined by a bridge over the
Carron, and has a good harbour and important fisheries.
Stonehenge, extensive group of gigantic standing
stones, Salisbury Plain, AYilts, 2 miles W. of Ames-
bury. The whole work consists of 2 circles and 2
ovals, inclosed by a double mound, and with an avenue
leading from the NE.; and has been variously supposed
to be a Druid temple, a temple of Saturn, a relic of
Sun worship, a sepulchral monument, and a monument
Stonehonsc. — (or East Stonehonsc), town and
par. (ry. sta. Devonport and Stonehouse), Devon, on
Stonehouse Pool, between Plymouth and Devonport,
and wholly within the pari, limits of Devonport, 190
ac., pop. 15,041; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; is the central
member of the Three Towns. See Devonport, also
Plymouth.—2. Stonehouse, par. and vil., Glouces¬
tershire, 3 miles AV. of Stroud by rail, 1786 ac. (in¬
cluding Haywards Field), pop. 3247; P.O., T.O.; has
Stonehouse, town and par., Lanarkshire, on Avon
AVater, 7 miles SE. of Hamilton and 18 miles SE. of
Glasgow by rail—par., 6241 ac., pop. 3173 ; town, pop.
2615; P.O., T.O., IBank; is largely inhabited by miners
Stonclands, tract, Oxfordshire, in AY. of co., 2 miles
SE. of Burford.
Stoneleigh, par. and vil., Warwickshire—par., 9907
ac., pop. 1216; vil., on river Avon, 2½ miles E. of Kenil¬
worth; P.O.; Stoneleigh Abbey, seat of Lord Leigh,
retains restored portions of the monastery which was
founded (1154) by Henry II.
Stoneley, vil., in par. and 1 mile SE. of Kimbolton,
Stoneraise, hamlet, AVestward par., Cumberland, 2
miles SE. of Wigton.
Stoneridge, seat, Eccles par., Berwickshire, 6 miles
NW. of Coldstream.
Stonesbreak, vil., Saddleworth township, Rochdale
par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Stonesby, par., Leicestershire, 6 miles NE. of Melton
Mowbray, 1370 ac., pop. 216.
Stonesdalc, hamlet, Grinton par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 5½ miles SAV. of Muker.
Stonesfield, par. and vil., Oxfordshire, 3 miles W.
of Woodstock, 817 ac., pop. 586 ; P.O.
Stonethwaite, hamlet, at head of Borrowdale, Cum¬
berland, 7½ miles S. of Keswick.
Stoneton, par., Northamptonshire, 9 miles SW. of
Daventry, pop. 23.
Stonewall Park, seat, Chiddingstone par., Kent, 4
miles SE. of Edenbridge sta.
Stone wood, vil., Saddleworth township, Rochdale
par., S. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire.
Stoney Cross, in New Forest, Hants ; marks the
place where William II. (Rufus) was killed in 1110.
Stoney Houghton, hamlet, Pleasley par., Derby¬
shire, 8 miles NE. of Alfreton.
Stoney Middleton.—township and vil., Hathersage
par., Derbyshire—township, 1181 ac., pop. 354 ; vil., at
entrance to Middleton Dale, 4½ miles N. of Bakewell;
P.O. Stoney Middleton is a large mining and agricul¬
tural village; and has a warm spring and baths, which
were at one time in great repute, and are said to be of
Roman origin. Stoney Middleton House is the seat
of Lord Denman.—2. Stoney Middleton, Oxfordshire.
See Middleton Stoney.
Stoney Stanton, par. and vil., Leicestershire—par.,
1750 ac., pop. 993; vil., 4 miles E. of Hinckley; P.O.,
called Stony Stanton.
Stoney Stoke, hamlet, Shepton Montague par.,
Somerset, 2½ miles N. of AYincanton.
Stoney Stratton, vil., Evercreech par., Somerset, 3
miles NW. of Bruton.
Stoney bridge, school, South Uist par., Outer He¬
Stoneycroft, eccl. dist., West Derby par., SAY. Lan¬
cashire, pop. 4442; P.O.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)