long.—4. Stour, river, in S. of England; rises near
SE. border of Somerset, and flows SE. through Dorset,
past Sturminster Newton, Blandford, and Wimborne,
to the Avon at Christchurch, Hants; is 55 miles long.
—5. Stour, river, Worcestershire and Staffordshire;
rises near Halesowen, and flows W. past Stourbridge,
and SW. past Kidderminster to the Severn at Stour -
port; is 20 miles long.
Stour, The Lesser, river, Kent; rises near Lyminge,
and flows 17 miles NE. to the Stour at Stourmouth.
Stour Hill. See Stower, West.
Stourbridge, market town and township (ry. stations
Stourbridge and Stourbridge Junction), Oldswinford
par., Worcestershire, on river Stour, 5 miles SW. of
Dudley and ID? W. of Birmingham, 450 ac., pop.
9757; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day,
Friday. Stourbridge was anciently known as Bedcote.
It has a county court-house, a market-house, a corn
exchange, and a grammar school founded in 1553;
it has also mfrs. of glass (introduced by refugees from
Hungary and Lorraine in 1556), iron, and fire-bricks.
These last are made from a peculiarly rich fire-clay, and
are largely exported.
Stourhead House, seat, on SW. border of Wilts, 2
miles NW. of Mere; occupies the site of a Saxon castle,
and belonged to the Stourtons from time of Richard II.
to time of Anne.
Stourmouth, par. and vil., Kent—par., 901 ac.,
pop. 321; vil., on river Stour, at influx of Lesser Stour,
5 miles NW. of Sandwich; P.O.
Stourpaine, par. and vil., Dorset, in N. of co.—par.,
2305 ac., pop. 563; vil., on river Stour, 3 miles NW. of
Stourport, manufacturing and market town with
ry. sta., Kidderminster par., Worcestershire, at con-
fluence of rivers Stour and Severn and at the terminus
of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, 3 miles
SE. of Bewdley and 4 SW. of Kidderminster, pop.
(including Lower Mitton) 3358; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Wednesday. Stourport dates from 1770.
Its industries comprise tanning, ironfounding, worsted
spinning, carpet weaving, malting, and vinegar making.
Owing to its admirable position with respect to the
canal and the rivers, it has long maintained a consider-
able transit traffic. Besides the weekly market, 3 fairs
are held annually. Stourport (with Lower Mitton) is a
township and a local government district.
Stour ton. — (or Stowertou), township and vil,,
Whichford par., AYarwickshire, on river Stour, 4 miles
SE. of Shipston, pop. 189; P.O.—2. Stonrton, par.
and vil., Wilts—par., 3448 ac., pop. 556; vil., 3 miles
NW. of Mere; P.O.—3. Stonrton, 2 miles from Huns-
let, Leeds, West-Riding Yorkshire; P.O.—4. Stourton.
See Storeton, also Sturton.
Stourton Castle.—seat, in SW. of Staffordshire, 3
miles AY. of Stourbridge; was the birthplace of Cardinal
Pole (1500-58).—2. Stourton Castle, seat of Lord
Mowbray, Segrave, and Stourton, West-Riding York-
shire, near Knaresborough.
Stourton Caumlle, par. and vil., Dorset, 4| miles
NAY. of Sturminster Newton, 1975 ac., pop. 374 ; P.O.
Stourton in the Clay, Notts. See Sturton.
Stouslie, school, Wilton par., Roxburghshire.
Stout House, seat, Gower, Glamorgan, under Cefn
Bryn, 3 miles NAY. of Oxwich.
Stouting. See Stowting.
Stoven, par., Suffolk, 5 miles NE. of Halesworth,
797 ac., pop. 131.
Stover Lodge, seat of Duke of Somerset, in SE. of
Devon, 2 miles NW. of Newton Abbot.
Stow.—(or Long Stow), par., township, and vil.,
Huntingdonshire, in W. of co., 2J miles NE. of Kimbol-
ton—par., 1475 ac., pop. 189; township, pop. 149.—2.
Stow, hamlet, Threckingham par., Lincolnshire, lg
mile NE. of Falkingham.—3. Stow, vil. with ry. sta.,
Stow Bardolph par., Norfolk, 2j? miles N. of Downham
Market; P.O. ; has a cattle fair; in vicinity is Stow
Hall, seat.—4. Stow. See also Stowe. _
Stow, vil. with ry. sta., Edinburghshire, and par.,
partly also in Selkirkshire — par., 36,843 ac., pop.
2395 ; vil., on Gala Water, 6| miles N. of Galashiels
and 26| miles SE. of Edinburgh by rail, pop. 440 ; has
a town-hall and woollen mills.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)