OFlyn, near the border of cos. Mayo and Roscommon,
and flows SE., dividing co. Roscommon from co. Gal¬
way, to the Shannon at Shannon Bridge; length 60
miles, and has a very winding course.
Suckicy, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., on W.
border of Worcestershire—par., 5184 ac., pop. 1233;
township, pop. 623 ; vil., 5 m. SE. of Bromyard ; P.O.
Sudborough, par. and vil., Northamptonshire—
par., 1781 ac., pop. 284; vil., 3 miles NW. of Thrap-
Sudbourue, par. and vil., Suffolk—par., 5429 ac.,
pop. 578; vil., 4 miles SW. of Aldeburgh; P.O.; in
vicinity is Sudbourue Hall, seat.
Sudbrook, vil., Monmouthshire, 4½ miles SW. of
Chepstow; P.O., T.O.; has picturesque ruins of an
Sudbrooke.—par., Lincolnshire, 1000 ac., pop. 55;
Sudbrooke Hall, seat, is 4 miles NE. of Lincoln.—2.
Sudbrooke, hamlet, Ancaster par., Lincolnshire, 7
miles NE. of Grantham; P.O.
Sudbury.—mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta.,
partly in Essex but chiefly in Suffolk, on river Stour,
16 miles S. of Bury St Edmunds and 21 miles W. of
Ipswich, 1459 ac., pop. 6584; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks,
1 newspaper. Market-day, Thursday. Sudbury (a
corruption of Southborough) was formerly one of the
most considerable places in the eastern counties. After
the Conquest it became the seat of several religious
establishments; and it was one of the towns selected by
Edward III. for the settlement of the Flemings, with a
view to the introduction of the woollen cloth mfr.
Mfrs. of silk, velvet, and cocoa-nut matting, and exten¬
sive lime and brick works, give employment to the in¬
habitants. The river has been rendered navigable for
barges up to the town, and there is a considerable trade
in coal and agricultural produce. Gainsborough (1727-
1788), the painter, was a native. Sudbury was made a
mun. bor. by Queen Elizabeth ; it was formerly a pari,
bor., but was disfranchised in 1843.—2. Sudbury,
par. and vil. with ry. sta., Derbyshire—par., 3702 ac.,
pop. 522; vil., 5 miles SE. of Uttoxeter; P.O., T.o.;
Sudbury Hall is the seat of Lord ATernon.—3. Sud¬
bury, hamlet (ry. sta. Sudbui-y and Wembley), Harrow
on the Hill par., Middlesex, 3 miles NW. of AVillesden
Junction by rail and 2 SE. of Harrow; P.O.; in vicinity
is Sudbury Hall, seat.
Sudbury (or South) Division, pari. div. of Suffolk,
Sudeley Manor, par., Gloucestershire, 2622 ac., pop.
100; gives title to Lord Sudeley; the seat of Sudeley
Castle, 7 miles NE. of Cheltenham, was built in the
time of Henry VI., was taken and dismantled by the
Parliamentary army during the great Civil War, and
is now partly renovated.
Sudeley Tenements, hamlet, Winchcomb par., Glou¬
cestershire, adjacent to Sudeley Manor.
Suenos Stone, Elginshire. See Forres.
Suflield, par., Norfolk, 3 miles NW. of North Wal-
sham, 1458 ac., pop. 206; gives title to Lord Suflield.
Suflield cum Everley, township, Hackness par.,
North-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles NW. of Scarborough,
1911 ac., pop. 137.
Suffolk, maritime co. in E. of England, bounded N.
by Norfolk, from which it is separated by the Waveney
and Little Ouse, E. by the North Sea, S. by Essex, from
which it is separated by the Stour, and W. by Cam¬
bridgeshire, from which it is separated by the Lark;
area, 944,060 ac., pop. 356,893. The coast line (of
about 50 miles), broken by the estuaries of the Stour,
Orwell, Deben, and Aide, is generally low, and the sea
has made great encroachments, particularly in the
neighbourhood of Dunwich and Aldeburgh. The sur¬
face is generally level, and the soil is very varied—occa¬
sional fen, loam on the borders of the rivers, sand on
the eastern and western borders, and clay in the centre.
This last is fertile, and large crops are grown of wheat,
barley, pease, and beans, the barley in particular being
in high repute with brewers. Butter is extensively
made for the London markets. Sheep are reared in
the NAY., which is hilly; and the Suffolk cart-horse,
esteemed for its power of draught, is raised in con¬
siderable numbers. (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix.) The mfrs.—principally agricultural imple-
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)