Swannington.—township and vil. with ry. sta.,
Whitwick par., Leicestershire, 4 miles E. of Ashby de
la Z'ouch, pop. 1417; P.O.—2. Swannington, paiV,
Norfolk, 9 miles NW.of Norwich, 1433 ac., pop. 326 ;
contains Swannington Hall, seat.
Swans Cross Hoads, 5 miles from Ballybay, mid.
co. Monaghan ; P.O. ■
Swanscombe, par. and vil., Kent, on river Thames
—par. (containing the greater part of Greenhithe eccl.
dist.), 2140 ac. and 412 tidal water and foreshore, pop.
4541; vil., 4 miles E. of Dartford; P.O.
Swansea.—pari, and mun. borough, seaport, and
par., Gower Peninsula, Glamorgan, at mouth of river
Tawe, at- its entrance into Swansea Bay, Bristol
Channel, 32¼ miles SAV. of Merthyr Tydfil and 213 AV.
of London by rail—par., 6880 ac. and 1983 tidal water
and foreshore, pop. 55,417; mun. bor. (extending into
Llangafelach and Llansamlet pars.), 4363 ac., pop.
65,597 ; contributory pari. bor. (including a further por-
tion of Llansamlet par.), 4777 ac.,pop. 73,971; pari. bor.
(including the contributory bors. of Aberavon, Kenfig,
Loughor, Neath, and Swansea), 15,085 ac., pop. 100,590;
3 Banks, 5 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and
Saturday. Swansea is called by the Welsh Abertawe,
from its position at the mouth of the Tawe. Copper-
works were first established in 1719, and Swansea is
now the principal seat of the copper trade in the
country; it possesses an abundant supply of coal for
smelting, and copper ore is imported from all parts^ of
the world. In addition to copper it has extensive
mfrs. of tin-plate, iron, steel, zinc, alkali, and patent
fuel. The harbour and docks are extensive and com-
modious, and there is an active trade with the principal
British and Continental ports, coal and patent fuel
being largely exported. (For shipping statistics, see
Appendix.) One of the principal objects of interest is
the massive tower of the castle, originally founded _ in
1099, and long garrisoned by the English and Flemish
colonists who were settled in the peninsula of Gower.
Swansea is the home of the Royal Institution of South
Wales. It was chartered by John, and incorporated
by Henry III. The Swansea Boroughs (Aberavon, Ken-
fig, Loughor, Neath, and Swansea) returned 1 member
to Parliament till 1885. Swansea now returns 2 mem-
bers to Parliament (2 divisions—viz., Swansea Town
and Swansea District, 1 member for each div.)—2.
Swansea, hundred, Glamorgan,-56,888 ac. , pop. 24,119.
Swansea, Higher and Lower, township, Swansea
par., Glamorgan, 4562 ac., pop. 7078 ; is partly within
the pari, limits of the Swansea Town div. of Swansea.
Swansea Bay, Glamorgan, entering from Bristol
Channel; is 9¼ miles wide between Scar Point and
Mumbles Head, and penetrates 5f miles NE. to the
mouth of the river Neath.
Swansea District, pari. div. of bor. of Swansea, pop.
50,547; includes the contributory bors. of Aberavon,
Kenfig, Loughor, and Neath, and part of the contri-
butory bor. of Swansea—viz., the par. of St John near
Swansea, and so much of Clase, Llangafelach, Llan-
samlet Higher, and Llansamlet Lower, as is comprised
within the pari. bor. of Swansea.
Swansea St Thomas, township, Swansea par.,
Glamorgan, within the mun. limits of Swansea, 440 ac.,
Swansea Town, township, Swansea par., Glamorgan;
within the mun. limits of Swansea, 1918 ac., pop.
Swansea Town Division, pari. div. of bor. of Swan-
sea, pop. 50,043 ; includes the greater part of the con-
tributory bor. of Swansea—viz., Swansea Town, Swansea
St Thomas, and part of Higher and Lower Swansea.
■ Swansiield, seat, near Longlioughton sta., Northum-
Swanston, hamlet, Colinton par., in co. and 3 miles
S. of Edinburgh.
Swanthrope, hamlet, Crondall par., Hants, 4 miles
SE. of Odiham.
Swanton Abbott, par. and vil., Norfolk—par., 1130
ac., pop. 504; vil., 3 miles S. of North AValsham;
P.O. ; near the vil. is Swanton Hall, seat.
Swanton Morlcy, par. and vil., Norfolk—par., 2714
ac., pop. 690; vil., on river AVensum, 3¼ miles NE. of
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)