Swilly, rivulet, N. co. Donegal; rises in the Glen-
dowan Mountains, and flows 10 m. E. to Lough Swilly.
Swilly, Lough, .sea-lough, NE. co. Donegal, enter-
ing from the Atlantic between Fanad Point and Dunaff
Head (4 miles across), and extending about 25 miles
inland between the peninsula of Inishowen and the
main body of the co.; average width, 3 miles; has a
lighthouse on Dunree Head, with fixed light seen 13
miles, and 1 on Fanad Point, with fixed light seen 14 m.
Swilly House, seat, Devon, near Devonport.
Swimbridge (or Swyiubridge), par. and vil. with
ry. sta., Devon—par., 7280ac., pop. 1218; vil., 4%miles
SE. of Barnstaple ; P.O.
Swin, East. See Sunk Light-Vessel.
Swln, Loch, sea-loch, Argyllshire, opposite Jura
island; extends 9% miles NE. from the Sound of Jura.
Swln, Middle, Llght-Vessel, in Swin Channel,
mouth of river Thames, 7 miles NE. of Foulness Point,
Essex ; has revolving light seen 10 miles.
Swln Channel, in mouth of river Thames, between
the Maplin and Barrow sands; is the main channel
from the Nore to the north, is divided into East,
Middle, and "West, and has the Mouse, Maplin, Middle
Swin, and Sunk lights.
Swinbrook, par., in AA. of Oxfordshire, 2 miles E.
of Burford, 1319 ac., pop. 168.
Swinburn, hamlet, Chollerton par., Northumber-
land, 7 miles N. of Hexham. ..
Swincombe.' See Swyncombe.
Swinden, township, Gisburn par., N. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 7 m. W. of Skipton, 1049 ac., pop. 47.
Swinderby,par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lincolnshire—
par., 16.40 ac., pop. 503 ; vil,, 6 miles NE. of Newark; P.O.
Swindon. — market town and par. (ry. stations
Swindon Toiyn and Swindon Junction), Wilts, 10%
miles N. of Marlborough and 77 miles W. of London by
rail—par., 3136 ac., pop. 19,904; town, pop. 22,374;
P.O., t.o., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Mon-
day. The town consists of the two local government
districts of Old Swindon (wholly in Swindon par.), pop.
4696; and New Swindon . (partly also in Rodborne
Cheney and Stratton St Margaret pars.), pop? 17,678 ;
P.O., T.o. Old Swindon, known at Domesday as Svin-
dune, is a picturesque old place, with town hall, corn
exchange, and assembly rooms. New Swindon origin-
ated in the removal hither, in 1841, of the locomotive
department of. the Great Western Ry, from Wootton
Bassett; it has a public park, and public buildings have
recently been erected for the accommodation of the
mechanics institute, the libraries, the theatre, &c.—2.
Swindon, par. and vil., Gloucestershire—par., 721 ac.,
pop. 201; vil., 2 miles NW. of Cheltenham; P.O.; near
the vil. is Swindon Hall, seat.—3, Swindon, eccl.
dist. and vil., Wombourne par., Staffordshire—dist.,
pop. 466; vil., 6 miles SW. of Wolverhampton ; P.O.—
4..Swindon, hamlet, Kirkby Overblow par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles AY. of Wetherby.
. Swiiidrldgemulr, seat, in par. and 2 miles E. of
Swine, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta,, East-
Riding Yorkshire—par., 14,696 ac., pop. 1811;.town-
ship, 2286 ac., pop. 195 ; vil., 7 miles NE. of Hull; P.O.
Swlnefleet, township and vil., Whitgift par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire—township, 2472 ac. (96 water),
pop. 1233; vil., on river Ouse, 2% m. SE. of Goole ; P.O.
Swlneford, market town, Kilconduff par., E. co.
Mayo, on a branch of river Moy, 7 miles SE. of Foxford
ry. sta., 15 miles NW. of Ballyhaunis, and 22 miles SW.
of Ballymote, pop. 1657; P.O., T.O., called Swinford.
Swines Back, conical height, near West Lulworth,
Swineshead.—(or Swynshed), par.,in SW. of Hunt-
ingdonshire, 3 miles SW. of Kimbolton, 1330 ac., pop.
240.—2.. Swineshead, town and par. with ry. sta.,
Lincolnshire, 6 miles SW. of Boston by rail, 5781 ac.,
pop.. 1622; P.O., T.o. Swineshead is a place of great
antiquity, and has an endowed free school.
Swineside, hamlet, Coverham par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 5 miles SW. of Middleham.
Swinethorpe.—par., in co. and 6 miles SW. of Lin-
coln, 980 ac., pop. 42. — 2. Swinethorpe, hamlet,
Snelland par., Lincolnshire, 3 miles NAY. of Wragby.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)