TelTont Magna, par., Wilts, 1¼ mile NW. of Dinton
sta. and 6¼ miles AV. of Wilton, ac. (included in Dinton),
Tehallun, par., in co. and 3 miles NE. of Monaghan,
on Ulster Canal and r. Blackwater, 5946 ac., pop. 1845.
Teiiidy Park, seat of the Basset family, 3 miles
NW. of Redruth, Cornwall.
Teifi (or Teivy), river, South Wales; rises in NE. of
Cardiganshire, flows SW. past Tregaron to Lampeter,
follows the boundary between Cardiganshire on the N.
and Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire on the S.,
and falls into Cardigan Bay 4 miles below the town of
Cardigan; is 50 miles long.
Teigli, par., Rutland, 5 miles N. of Oakham, 1267
ac., pop. 132.
Teign, river, Devon; rises in the centre of Dart-
moor, and flows 30 miles SE. to the sea at Teignmouth.
Teign House Inn, on river Teign, Devon, 1¼ mile
N. of Ashton sta.; is a resort of anglers.
Teignhridge, hundred, Devon, 58,520 ac., pop.
14,105; contains 12 pars.
Tcigngrace,par. andry. sta., Devon, onriver Teign,
2\ miles NW. of Newton Abbot, 1329 ac., pop. 172.
Teignholt, hamlet, Drewsteignton par., Devon, 3
miles NW. of Moreton Hampstead.
Teigninouth, market town, seaport, and watering-
place, Devon, at mouth of river Teign, 15 miles S. of
Exeter and 209 miles SW. of London by rail, 1238 ac.,
pop. 7120; P.O., T.o., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-
day, Saturday. The town consists of the two parishes
of East Teignmouth (745 ac., pop. 2482) and West
Teignmouth (493 ac., pop. 4638). East Teignmouth is
the watering-place; West Teignmouth is the port
and place of business. (For shipping statistics, see
Appendix.) The chief industries are shipbuilding and
fishing. Two of the principal objects of interest are
the Den, a promenade formed from a sandbank be-
tween the town and the sea, and the wooden bridge, of
34 arches and 1672 ft. long, the longest wooden bridge
in England, which connects Teignmouth with the
village of Shaldon. Teignmouth furnished its quota of
ships and men to the siege of Calais in 1347, and was
thrice burnt by the French, twice about that time, and
again in 1690.
Teignton. See Bishopsteignton, Drewsteignton,
Teith, river, Perthshire; is formed by two head-
streams which unite at Callander, and thence flows 13
miles SE. to the river Forth 2¼ miles NW. of Stirling.
The N. head-stream flows through Lochs Doine, Voil, and
Lubnaig, and is 25 miles long; the S. one flows through
Glen Gyle to Loch Katrine, thence to Lochs Achray and
Yennachar, and is 20 miles long.
Teivy, river, South Wales. See Teifi.
Telegraph Hill, highest point of St Marys, Scilly
Islands; is crowned by a tower, which commands an
Telhain Court, seat, near Battle, Sussex.
Tellarought, par., SW. co. Wexford, 4 miles SE. of
New Ross, 1653 ac., pop. 252.
Tcllisford (or Tclsford), par., Somerset, on river
Frome, 5 miles NE. of Frome, 757 ac., pop. 85.
Telscombe, par., Sussex, on the coast, 3 miles NW.
of Newhaven, 1181 ac., pop. 94.
Tcltown, par. and seat, N. co. Meath, on river
Blackwater, 2 miles SE. of Kells, 4266 ac., pop. 626.
Telych, hamlet, Llandingat par., Carmarthenshire,
Teme, river, North Wales and Worcestershire ; rises
on border of Radnor and Montgomery, and flows 60
miles SE. past Knighton, Ludlow, and Tenbury to the
Severn, 1¼ mile S. of Worcester.
Templand, vil., in par. and 2¼ miles N. of Loch-
maben, Dumfriesshire; P.O.
Temple.—sta. on Metropolitan District Ry., London,
between Charing Cross and Blackfriars. The Temple is
an extensive series of buildings on S. side of Fleet Street,
belonging to the members of the two Inns of Court,
and known as the Inner Temple and Middle Temple ;
it takes its name from the Knights Tefnplars, who
held it 1184-1313, and whose tombs are in the
Temple Church (1185), built on the model of the Holy
Sepulchre at Jerusalem, and one of the four round
churches in England. Temple Bar, between Fleet
Street and the Strand, divided the city of London from
Westminster; it was designed by Sir Christopher Wren
in 1670, and taken down on tbe erection of the new
Law Courts, commenced in 1874.—2. Temple, par. and
vil., Cornwall, 6¼ miles NE. of Bodmin, 843 ac., pop.
38.—3. Temple, hamlet, Selbourne par., Hants, 4 miles
SE. of Alton.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)