Thames and Medway Canal, Kent, also called the
Gravesend and Rochester Canal; began in the Thames
at Gravesend, and terminated in the Medway near
Rochester Bridge; it was completed in 1824; it proved
unsuccessful, was eventually purchased by the North
Kent Ry. Co., and was, in part, adopted for their line
Thames and Severn Canal, Gloucestershire and
Wilts; extends from the Stroudwater Canal, near
Stroud, to the Thames at Lechlade, and connects the
navigation of the Thames with that of the Severn;
rises 243 ft., has 42 locks, is 30 miles long and 42 ft.
wide, and was formed in 1783-92.
Thames-Diiton, par. and vil., Surrey, on river
Thames, opposite Hampton Court, and 14 miles SW. of
London by rail, 2981 ac., pop. 2956; P.O., T.o.; is a
resort of anglers.
Thanckes, seat of Lord Graves, Cornwall, opposite
Thanet, Isle of, in NE. extremity of Kent, separated
from the mainland by the river Stour on the S. and the
Nethergong rivulet on the W., 26,179 ac. and 3178
tidal water and foreshore, pop. 50,821; measures 9
miles E. and W., and 5 miles N. and S.; has yielded
many Roman and Saxon relics ; lay until the beginning
of the 18th century in a wild condition, but is now
highly cultivated; contains the popular watering-places
of Margate, Ramsgate, and Broadstairs.
Thanet Division, Isle of, pari. div. of Kent, pop.
Thanington, par., Kent, partly within bor. of Can-
terbury, 1222 ac., pop. 454.
Thankerton, vil. with ry. sta., Covington and
Thankerton par., Lanarkshire, on river Clyde, 5 miles
S. of Carstairs Junction; P.O.
Tharston, par. and vil., Norfolk, 1 mile NE. of
Forncett sta. and 9% miles SW. of Norwich, 1582 ac.,
Thatcham, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta.,
Berks, 3 miles E. of Newbury—par., 11,865 ac., pop.
4766; township, 7865 ae., pop. 2882; P.O.; near vil. is
Thatcham House, seat.
Thatto Heath, ry. sta., SW. Lancashire, 2 miles SW.
of St Helens ; P.O.
Thavles Inn, par., Middlesex, in city of London,
Thaxted, small town and par., Essex, on river
Chelmer, 6 miles N. of Dunmow, 6252 ac., pop. 1914;
P.O., T.o.; was a bor. from the time of Mary till that
of James II.; Samuel Purchase (1577-1628), author of
works of travel and exploration, was a native.
The1 Ahbey, par., Carnarvonshire. See Abbey.
The Ballagh, 7 m. from Enniscorthy, Wexford; P.O.
The Birches,5m. from Portadown, co. Armagh; P.O.
The Braes, vil., in par. and 6 miles SE. of Portree,
Skye island, Inverness-shire; P.O.; the whole district
between Loch Sligachan and Camastianavaig is known
as The Braes.
The Broad, 1% mile N. of Leominster, Hereford; P.O.
The Bash, 2 m. from Dungannon, E. co. Tyrone ; P.O.
The Commons, 3 miles from Ballingarry, E. co.
The Craigs, 1 m. from Ardgay, Ross and Cromarty; p. o.
The Den, vil., Ayrshire. See Den, The.
The Dicker, eccl. dist., Arlington, Chiddingly, and
Hellingly pars., Sussex, pop. 425; contains, in Arling-
ton par., the vil. of Upper Dicker, 2% miles W. of
Hailsham and 8 E. of Lewes; P.O.
The Green, vil., Cumberland, 3 miles SW. of Brough-
ton in Furness; P.O.
The Lizard, 1 mile NE. of Lizard Head, Cornwall;
P.O., T.o. See Lizard Town.
The Lodge, vil., St Martin near Chirk par., Shrop-
shire, 6 miles S. of Ruabon; P.O. See Lodge, The.
The Maze, on W. border of co. Down, 4 miles W. of
The Moss (or Moss Talley), near border of Denbigh-
shire and Flintshire, 4 miles NW. of Wrexham; P.O.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
The . For names prefixed by The, and not found under
The, see principal name.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)