Tor Alvie, rocky eminence, Alvie par., Inverness-
shire ; is crowned by a granite column (90 ft. high) to
the 5th Duke of Gordon (1770-1836), and a cairn to the
officers of the 42d and 92d slain at Waterloo.
Tor Balk (Tar Box), hill, above Kynance Cove,
Cornwall, near Lizard Head.
Tor Bay, in SE. of Devon; extends from Hopes Nose
on the N. to Berry Head 011 the S.; measures 44 miles
across the entrance, penetrates 3§ miles, is nearly
semicircular in sweep, and is an important haven for
ocean-bound ships that encounter rough weather from
the westward; was the landing-place of the Prince
of Orange, November 5, 1688, and was a common
anchoring-ground of the Channel Fleet under Lord
Tor Head, 5 miles N. of Cushendun, NE. co. Antrim,
opposite the Mull of Kintyre.
Tor Point, headland, Devon, near Hartland Quay.
Tor Boyal (or Look-out Tor), 1 mile E. of Prince-
town, Dartmoor, Devon; commands fine views of the
Tavy and Tamar valleys, and of Dartmoor.
Tor Steps, rude slab bridge across river Barle, Somer-
set, 54 miles NW. of Dulverton.
Torbock, Lancashire. See Taebock.
Torbotbie, part of Shotts Ironworks, Lanarkshire.
Torbrec, school, Rogart par., Sutherland.
Torbrian, par. and vil., Devon, 44 miles SW. of
Newton Abbot, 2010 ac., pop. 203.
Torbush, Lanarkshire. See Moeningside.
Tore Mountain, 5 miles S. of Killarney, SE. co.
Kerry, alt. 1764 ft. ; in the vicinity is a waterfall, 60
Torcross, fishing vil., Stokenham par., Devon, 8 m.
SW. of Dartmouth; P.O., T.O.; is a bathing-place.
Tore, Killearnan par., Ross and Cromarty, 4 miles
AY. of Munlochy; P.O.
Torgyle, place with inn, in Glen Moriston, Inverness-
shire, 7 miles NW. of Fort Augustus.
Torkington, township, Stockport par., Cheshire, 3
miles SE. of Stockport, 823 ac., pop. 244.
Torksey, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., in
co. and 9| miles NAA*. of Lincoln, at the junction of the
Foss Dyke and the river Trent—par., 3170 ac., pop. 336;
township, pop. 160; P.O.; has the ruins of a castle on
the site of a Roman granary, and had a priory founded
by King John.
Torleton (or Tarleton), hamlet, Coates and Rod-
marton pars., Gloucestershire, 44 m. W. of Cirencester.
Torluin Hill, conical hill, 3 miles SW. of Crieff,
Perthshire, alt. 1291 ft.
Tormarton, par. and vil., Gloucestershire, 4 miles
SE. of Chipping Sodbury, 2656 ac., pop. 424; P.O.
Tormoham with Torquay, par., Devon, conter-
minous with town of Torquay, 1465 ac., pop. 24,767.
Tor more Island, Glencolumbkille par., AV. co.
Donegal, in Malin Bay.
Tornaveen, seat and hamlet, Kincardine ONeil
par., Aberdeenshire, 3 miles N. of Torphins sta.; P.O.
Torness, Dores par., Inverness-shire, 14 miles SW.
of Inverness; P.O.
Torosay, par., Mull island, Argyllshire, on the Sound
of Mull and Firth of Lorne, 90,594 ac., pop. 1102.
Torpantau, ry. sta., in co. and 14 miles S. of Breck-
nock by rail.
Torpenhow, par. and township, Cumberland, 6
miles NE. of Cockermouth and 7 SAA*. of AVigton—
par., 9001 ac., pop. 1250; township (Torpenhow and
AVhitrigg), 2742 ac., pop. 278; P.O.
Torphichen, par. and vil., Linlithgowshire, on river
Avon—par., 9939 ac., pop. 1526; vil., 14 mile E.^of
AVestfield sta. and 2| miles N. of Bathgate, pop. 358 ;
P.O.; has remains of the hospital or preceptory of Tor-
phichen, the principal Scottish seat of the Knights of
St John of Jerusalem; gives the title of baron to the
family of Sandilands.
Torphins, quoad sacra par. and vil. with ry. sta.,
Kincardine ONeil par., Aberdeenshire—quoad sacra
par., pop. 830; vil.,7 m. NW. of Banchory; P.O., 1 Bank.
Torpoint, eccl. dist. and vil., Antony par., Corn-
wall, on the Hamoaze, opposite Devonport, pop. 2367;
Torquay, seaport town and watering-place, Devon,
conterminous with Tormoham with Torquay par., on
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)