N. side of Tor Bay, 23 miles S. of Exeter and 220
from London by rail, 1465 ac., pop. 24,767; 4 Banks,
5 newspapers. Market-days, Tuesday and Friday.
Torquay is entirely of modern growth. It takes rank
among the first of English watering-places. It is beau-
tifully situated on a series of heights and depressions
on the margin of a small bay, an offset of Tor Bay, and
as seen from the sea presents a singularly picturesque
appearance. Its mild and equal climate, its excellent
water supply and drainage system, and its bright and
pleasant surroundings, make it a great resort of invalids
and convalescents in winter and spring. It has a
museum, public gardens, baths, and all the attractions
of a great watering-place. The pier which shelters the
inner basin of the harbour is a favourite promenade,
especially when many yachts are in port. In the neigh-
bourhood of Torquay are well-known marble works and
Torquay Division, pari. div. of Devon, pop. 50,736.
Torr, hamlet, Nettlecombe par., Somerset, 3 miles
SW. of Watcbet.
Torran, school, Portree par., Skye, Inverness-shire.
Torrance.—ancient par., East Kilbride par., Lanark-
shire ; Torrance Honse, seat, is 2 miles SE. of East
Kilbride vil.—2. Torrance, vil. withry. sta., Campsie
par., Stirlingshire, on river Kelvin, 3 miles W. of
Kirkintilloch, pop. (Torrance and Wester Balgrochan)
Torre, suburb and ry. sta., in NW. of Torquay,
Devon; P.O., T.O.; in the grounds of Torre Abbey,
seat (1555), stand the ruins of an abbey founded in 1196.
Torridge, river, Devon; rises in NAV. of co., near
Hartland, and flows 37 miles SE. and NAV. to a con-
fluence with the Taw at Barnstaple Bay.
Torridon, hamlet with public school, Applecross
par., Ross and Cromarty, at head of Loch Torridon, 10
miles SW. of Kinlochewe; P.O.; Torridon House,
seat, is 2 miles to the NAV.
Torridon, Loch, large sea-loch, Ross and Cromarty,
between Gairloch and Applecross pars. ; consists of
Loch Torridon, Loch Shieldaig, and Upper Loch
Torridon Deer Forest, Ross and Cromarty, 11,630
ac. ; post-town, Torridon.
Torrie Honse, seat, in par. and near Torryburn, Fife.
Torrln, hamlet with public school, Strath par., Skye
island, Inverness-shire, on E. side of Loch Slapin, 5
miles SW. of Broadford.
Torrington (Great), mun. bor., market town, and
par., Devon, on river Torridge, 6 miles SE. of Bideford
and 225 from London by rail, 3456ac., pop. 3445 ; P.O.,
T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Torrington is
an ancient borough, incorporated by Queen Mary, and
at one time sent representatives to Parliament. Glove-
making is the principal industry. General Monk was
born in the neighbourhood; and it was near Torrington
that Fairfax in 1646 won his victory over Hopton, and
so crushed the royalist cause in the west.
Torrington, Black.—hundred, Devon, 145,202 ac.,
pop. 16,252 ; contains 34 pars, and parts of 3 others.—2.
Torrington, Black, par. and vil., Devon, on river
Torridge, 5 miles W. of Hatherleigh and 9 miles S. of
Great Torrington, 7200 ac., pop. 874; P.O.
Torrington, East, par., Lincolnshire, 4% miles SE.
of Market Rasen, 1498 ac., pop. 125.
Torrington, Little, par., Devon, on river Torridge,
1% mile S. of Great Torrington, 2880 ac., pop. 531; P.O.
Torrington, West, par., Lincolnshire, 1 mile SAAr.
of East Torrington, 1109 ac., pop. 160.
Torrisdale Castle, seat, Saddell and Skipness par.,
Argyllshire, at E. side of Kintyre, 1% mile SW. of
Torrlskolme, hamlet, Lancashire, in par. and 2
miles NW. of Lancaster.
Torry, fishing vil., Nigg par., Kincardineshire, near
mouth of river Dee, opposite Aberdeen, with which it
is connected by Victoria Bridge (1881), pop. (including
Brickworks), 1117; P.O.
Torry, Low, part of Torryburn vil., Fife, pop. 245.
Torry Hill, seat, Kent; post-town, Sittingbourne.
Torryburn, par. and vil., Fife—par., 3994 ac., pop.
737; vil., on Firth of Forth, 2% miles E. of Culross and
4A miles SAV. of Dunfermline, pop. (including Low
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)