Tremain, par., in co. and 4 miles NE. of Cardigan,
1658 ac., pop. 262.
Tremaine, par., Cornwall, 6 miles NW. of Laun-
ceston, 1045 ac., pop. 87.
Trematon Castle, seat, 2 miles W. of Saltash sta.,
Cornwall; adjacent are the ruins of the moated 13th
Trcmeircblon, 3 miles SE. of St Asaph, Flintshire;
p.o. See Dymeirchion.
Tremostyn, former name of Mostyn Hall : which see.
Tremwortb Downs, 5 miles NE. of Ashford, Kent;
here was a Roman cemetery, which has yielded large
quantities of pottery and glass.
Trenant Park, seat, 6 mile S. of Liskeard, Corn-
wall; was formerly the residence of AnastasiusHope.
Trenarren, seat, Cornwall, 2 miles SE. of St Austell.
Trenck Crossing, ry. sta., Shropshire, 2 miles E. of
Trench Lane, 4 m. from Wellington, Shropshire; p. O.
Trendle Hill, or Giants Hill : which see.
Treneglos, par., Cornwall, 8% miles W. of Laun-
ceston, 2730 ac., pop. 168.
Trcngwainton, seat, 2 miles NW. of Penzance,
Trenliolme, hamlet with ry. sta. (Trenholme Bar),
Whorl ton par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 9% miles S. of
Treninick, hamlet, Gorran par., Cornwall, 6% miles
S. of St Austell.
Trent.—the third river of England, in regard to
length of course; rises on Biddulph Moor, on the N.
border of Staffordshire, flows SE. through that co., and
then NE. through Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Notts,
and Lincolnshire, till it unites with the Ouse to form
the Humber at a point about 15 miles AY. of Hull; re-
ceives, on the right, the Sow, Tame, Soar, and Devon,
and on the left the Blythe, Dove, and Derwent; passes
the towns of Burton on Trent, Nottingham, Newark,
and Gainsborough, and is about 150 miles long; is
navigable for barges to Burton on Trent, 117 miles, and
for vessels of 200 tons to Gainsborough (where it is
still tidal), 25 miles, and its navigable importance is
much increased by a series of canals ; like the Solway
Firth and the Bristol Channel it is subject to the bore
or eagre; the area of its basin is about 4000
square miles.—2. Trent, ry. junction, in co. and 9%
miles SE. of Derby.—3. Trent (or Piddle), river, Dor-
set'; rises near Puddletrenthide, and flows 20 miles SE.
past Puddletown to Poole harbour.—4. Trent, eccl. dist.,
Enfield and Monken Hadley pars., Middlesex, and East
Barnet par., Herts, pop. 751.—5. Trent, par., Somer-
set, 2% miles NE. of Yeovil, 1590 ac., pop. 468 ; at
Trent House, now a grange, Charles II., after his
escape from AYorcester field, lay hidden for about a
Trent Junction, ry. sta., Derbyshire. See Trent.
Trent Park, seat, Middlesex, 3 miles E. of Barnet.
Trent Vale, eccl. dist., Stoke upon Trent par.,
Staffordshire, pop. 2223; P.O., T.O.
Trent and Mersey Canal. See Grand Trunk Canal.
Trcntagk, 7 miles NAY. of Letterkenny, N. co.
Trentkam, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Stafford-
shire, on river Trent—par. (partly in pari. bor. of Stoke
upon Trent, and containing town of Dresden), 7445ac.,
pop. 8383 ; vil., 3 m. S. of Stokeujjon Trent; P.O., T.O.;
Trentkam Ilall is the seat of the Duke of Sutherland,
who takes hence the title of viscount; at Trentham
stood a Saxon nunnery, which was superseded by a
priory of time of Henry I.
Trentls Rock, beside river Erme, Dartmoor, Devon,
2% miles N. of Ivybridge.
Trentlskoe, par., Devon, on the coast, 12 miles NE.
of Barnstaple, 1571 ac., pop. 84; Trentlskoe Barrow
is 1500 ft. high.
Treorky, vil. with ry. sta., Glamorgan, 1% mile SE.
of Treherbert and 8| miles NW. of Pontypridd; P.O.,
T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper.
Trer Castell, farmhouse on site of 14th century man-
sion of the Tudors, 2 miles NE. of Beaumaris, Anglesey.
Trer Ceiri, fortified British town, on the eastern-
most of the three peaks of Yr Eifl, 5 miles NE. of
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)