Tnpltoluie, par., Lincolnshire, 7% miles W. of Horn-
castle, 1795 ac., pop. 93; has picturesque ruins of an
abbey of time of Henry II.
Tnpsley, township, Hampton Bishop par., and eccl.
dist., containing also The Vineyard par., Hereford-
shire, on E. side and partly within bor. of Hereford—
dist., pop. 979; township, 2845 ac., pop. 1017.
Tnpton, township, North AVingfield par., Derby-
shire, 3 miles S. of Chesterfield, 735 ac., pop. 1374;
P.O.; has coal mines and ironworks.
Tur Langton, township and vil., Church Langton
par., Leicestershire, 5 miles N. of Market Harborough,
pop. 279; P.O.
Turbot Bank, on W. side of Cork Harbour, E. co.
Cork, near Fort Camden.
Turbot Island, Omey par., AA7. co. Galway, 147 ac.,
Turbotstown, seat, near Coole and 3% miles E. of
Float ry. sta., N. co. AVestmeath.
Ture.—seat, 4 miles W. of Belturbet, N. co. Cavan.
—2. Ture, on Lough Foyle, NE. eo. Donegal, 9 miles
NE. of Londonderry ; P.O.
Turin Castle, seat, 2 m. NE. of Ballinrobe, co. Mayo.
Turin Hill, on border of Rescobie and Aberlemno
pars., in co. and 4% miles NE. of Forfar, alt. 814 ft. ;
commands an extensive view, and has remains of an
ancient stronghold (Kemp or Camp Castle) believed to
have been one of the oldest stone forts in Scotland.
Turk, rivulet, Callander par., Perthshire; flows 6%
miles SE. through Glen Finglas to Brig o Turk.
Turkdean, par., Gloucestershire, 2 miles N. of
Northleach, 1890 ac., pop. 298; P.O.
Turkey Mill.—paperworks, Bersham, near Wrex-
ham, Denbighshire.—2. Turkey Mill, paperworks, 2%
miles from Keighley, Yorkshire.
Turkey Mills, paperworks, Maidstone, Kent.
Turlough, par., mid. co. Mayo, on Lough Conn, 4
miles NE. of Castlebar, 22,714 ac., pop. 5159; P.O.;
contains Turlough Park, seat.
Tnrlonghmore, 8 miles NAY. of Athenry, mid. co.
Galway ; P.O.
Turn Lee Mills, paperworks, near Glossop, Derby.
Turnastone, par. and vil., in co. and 10 miles SW.
of Hereford, and 6 miles NAA7. of Pontrilas ry. sta., on
river Dore, 530 ac., pop. 57.
Turnberry Castle, ruin, Kirkoswald par., Ayrshire,
6 miles N. of Girvan; was the stronghold of the earls
of Carrick during the 12th and 13th centuries, and is
celebrated for its associations with King Robert the
Bruce; it stands on a low promontory, on which is a
lighthouse 64 ft. high, with flashing light (Turnberry)
96 ft. above high water and seen 15 miles.
Turnchapel, 1 mile SE. of Plymouth, Devon; P.O.
Turnditck, township, Duffield par., Derbyshire, 3%
miles W. of Belper, 1016 ac., pop. 303; P.O.
Turner Hall, seat, in par. and 3 miles N. of Ellon,
Turners Hill.—1% mile NW. of Waltham Cross,
Herts; P.O.—2. Turners Hill, hamlet, 3 miles SAV.
of East Grinstead, Sussex ; P.O., T.o.
Turners Puddle, par., Dorset, on the Trent or
Piddle, 7 miles NAY. of AVareham, 1983 ac., pop. 119.
Turnham Green, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Chiswick
par., Middlesex, 6 miles W. of AVestminster Bridge
sta., London, pop. 4797 ; here Essex encamped in 1642,
and AValler in 1643, and a skirmish took place with
Prince Rupert; Roman coins were found in 1731.
Turnworth, par., Dorset, 4% miles NW. of Bland-
ford, 1560 ac., pop. 115; P.O.; contains Turn worth
Turoe, seat, 4 miles N. of Loughrea, mid. co. Galway.
Turret Water, Monzievaird and Strowan par., Perth-
shire ; flows 8 miles SE. through Glen Turret and Loch
Turret to river Earn, near Crieff; 3 miles NW. of Crieff
are the Falls of Turret.
Turriff, police burgh and par., Aberdeenshire, on
Idoch Water and near river Deveron, 12 miles S. of
Macduff and 38 NW. of Aberdeen by rail—par., 18,386
ac., pop. 4343; burgh, pop. 2304; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks;
has an ancient market cross and an interesting church
ruin ; the curing of pork is extensively carried on.
Turton, town and township, Bolton le Moors par.,
SE. Lancashire, 4 miles N. of Bolton by rail, 4614 ac.,
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)