Wainfleet St Mary, par. and vil., Lincolnshire—
par. (adjacent to Wainfleet All Saints), 6874 ac. land
and 6145 water, pop. 705; the vil. is If mile AY. of
Wainfleet sta.; in vicinity is Wainfleet Hall, seat.
Wainfleet St Thomas, or Noktholme : which see.
Wainhousc Corner, vil., St Gennys par., Cornwall,
9 m. NE. of Camelford and 14 NW. of Launceston ; P.O.
Wainstalls, Halifax par., N. div. AYest-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles from Luddendenfoot; P.O.
Waitby, township, in par, and lg mile W. of Kirkby
Stephen, Westmorland, 1183 ac., pop. 68.
Waith, par., Lincolnshire, 6 miles S. of Grimsby,
780 ac., pop. 60.
Waitwitli, hamlet, Catterick par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 2 miles SE. of Richmond.
Wakefleld, parl. and mun. bor., market town, par.,
and township, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river
Calder, 9 miles S. of Leeds and 176 from London by
rail—par., 10,056 ac., pop. 51,140; township, 758 ac.,
pop. 22,173; mun. bor., 1553 ac., pop. 30,854; parl.
bor., pop. 34,566; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-
days, Wednesday and Friday. Wakefield is a well-
built town, with wide and regular streets, and with
handsome public buildings. A curious relic of antiquity
is the chapel on the bridge which spans the Calder,
built by Edward IV. in memory of his father, Richard,
Duke of York. AYakefiehl has considerable mfrs. of
woollens, worsteds, and hosiery, breweries, roperies,
foundries, railway waggon works, and cocoa-fibre mat
manufactories; it is a great mart for corn, malt, and
wool; and in the neighbourhood are extensive coal
mines. It was the scene of a battle in 1460, in which
Richard, Duke of York, was defeated and slain ; it was
also the scene of frequent strife during the Civil War.
Wakefield was incorporated in 1626; it was made a
parliamentary borough in 1832, and returns 1 member ;
its parliamentary limits were extended in 1885 so as to
include the Belle Yue portion of Sandal Magna parish.
Wakefleld Lodge, seat of the Duke of Grafton, in
par. and lg mile SAY. of Potterspury, Northamptonshire,
and 4 miles NW. of Stony Stratford.
Wakeham, vil., Portland par., Dorset, in S. of co.,
5 miles SE. of Weymouth.
Wakelmrst Place, old mansion, in par. and 1 mile
N. of Ardingly, Sussex.
Wakely, par., Herts, in N. of co., 2 miles SW. of
Buntingford, 463 ac., pop. 10.
Wake ring. Great, par. and vil., Essex, in SE. of co.
—par. (including Great Potton island), 2775 ac. and
3141 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 1294; vil., 4g miles
NE. of Southend; P.O.
Wraltering, Little, par., Essex, in SE. of co., ad
jacent to Great Wakering, and containing 4 islands,
2410 ac. and 2496 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 284.
Wakerley, par. (ry. sta. Wakerley and Barrowden),
on N. border of Northamptonshire, 2g miles S. of
Luffenham sta. and 7 SW. of Stamford, 2130 ac.,
Wakes Colne, par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Colne),
Essex—par., 1935 ac., pop. 499; vil., 5g miles SE. of
Walherswick, coast par. and vil. with ry. sta.,
Suffolk—par., 1960 ac., pop. 289; vil., at mouth of
river Blythe, If mile SAY. of Southwold and 6g SE. of
Halesworth; was an important fishing town, but fell
into decline after the Reformation, and was destroyed
by fire in 1583 ; it has a ferry and quay, and is the port
of Southwold. The church is an ivy-clad ruin.
Walberton, par. and vil., Sussex—par., 1752 ac.,
pop. 607 ; vil., 3 miles SW. of Arundel; P.O.; Wal-
berton House, seat, is near the vil.
Walbottle. See Wallbottle.
Walburn, township, Downholmepar.,North-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles N. of Leyburn, 1660 ac., pop. 30.
Walbury Beacon, eminence with Roman camp, on
border of Berks and Hants, 7 miles SW. of Newbury.
Walbury Hall, seat, on W. border of Essex, 2 miles
S. of Bishop Stortford. ,
Walcot.—hamlet, Berks, 3 miles E. of Hungerford.
—2. Walcot, hamlet, Alkborough par., Lincolnshire,
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)