Bartholomew’s Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887) page 812 right column

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Wallisea Island, Essex, in river Crouch, 5 miles
NE. of Rochford; is 3% miles long and 1% broad, con-
sists of fertile marsh, and communicates with the
mainland by a causeway; it is divided among the
parishes of Canewdon, Eastwood, Paglesham, Great
Stambridge, and Little Wakering.

Walliswood, vil., Abinger and Ockley pars., Surrey,
6% miles S. of Dorking.

Wallop, Nether, par., Hants, 7391 ac., pop. 789;
P.O., called Lower Wallop, and P.O., T.O. at Middle
Wallop, 5 miles NW. of Stockbridge; in vicinity is
Wallop House, seat. Wallop Fields are said to be
the scene of one of the last battles between Yortigern
and the Saxons.

Wallop, Over, par., Hants, 6 miles NW. of Stock-
bridge, 4672 ac., pop. 543; the earls of Portsmouth
have held the manor from a period anterior to the
Norman Conquest.

Wallop Hall, seat, Westbury par., Shropshire, 12
miles SW. of Shrewsbury.

Wallow Crag.—eminence, Cumberland, on E. side
of Derwentwater, 1 mile SE. of Keswick; commands
a splendid view of Derwentwater and Skiddaw.—2.
Wallow Crag, precipitous rock, at Haweswater, West-

Wallridge, township, Stamfordham par., North-
umberland, 11 miles NE. of Hexham, 153 ac., pop. 10.

Walls, par. and hamlet, in W. of the Mainland of
Shetland—par., 24,499 ac., pop. 2262 ; comprises the
mainland districts of AAralls and Sandness, and the
inhabited islands of Papa-Stour, Araila, Linga, and
Foula; hamlet, on Yaila Sound, 24 miles NAV. of
Lerwick; P.O., T.O.

Walls Castle, Roman camp, near Ravenglass, Cum-

Walls and Flotta, par., Orkney, 24,327 ac., pop.
1506; comprises the S. portion of Hoy island, and the
whole of Flotta and Pharay islands.

Wallsend, town and par. with ry. sta., Northumber-
land, on river Tyne, at end of Roman wall, 4 miles NE.
of Newcastle—par. (containing Howdon Pans and Wil-
lington Quay), 2530 ac., pop. 13,737; town, pop. 6351;
P.O., T.O. The town takes its name from its position at
the E. end of the Roman Wall, and has yielded Roman
pottery, inscriptions, coins, and an altar to Jupiter. It
was formerly noted for its coal-workings, exhausted in
1853; it has now blast furnaces, forge-works, lead and
copper smelting works, and chemical works. AVailsend
is a local government district.

Wallstown, par., N. co. Cork, on river Awbeg, 7
miles NE. of Mallow, 3056 ac., pop. 355.

Wallyford, colliery vil., Inveresk par., Edinburgh-
shire, 1% mile SE. of Musselburgh.

Waliner, town and par. with ry. sta., on E. coast of
Kent, 2 miles SAA”. of Deal by rail, 867 ac., pop. 4309;
P.O., T.o., and P.O., T.o. at Walmer Road. Walmer
is an ancient place, and is a member of the Cinque Port
of Sandwich. It consists of 2 parts—Lower and Upper,
has many pleasant residences, and is much resorted
to during the bathing season. Walmer Castle, built
by Henry VIII., has long been regarded as the official
residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.
The Duke of Wellington, as Warden, resided here every
autumn from 1829 until his death in 1852. In the
town are cavalry, infantry, and marine hospital bar-
racks, and a garrison school. Walmer formed part of
the pari. bor. of Sandwich, which was disfranchised
in 1885.

Walmersley, eccl. dist., township, and vil., Bury
par., SE. Lancashire—township (Walmersley cum
Shuttleworth), 5065 ac., pop. 5519; is partly within the
bor. of Bury; dist. (extending into Middleton par.),
pop. 2637; vil., near Summerseat sta., and 2% m. N. of
Bury; P.O.; shares in the industries of Bury.

Walmgate, St Denis In, par. and township, York
city—par., 28ac., pop. 3545; township, 14ac., pop. 1268.

Walmgate, St Margaret, par. and township, York
city—par., 20ac., pop. 2340; township, 16 ac.,pop. 2792.

Waluiley, eccl. dist. and vil., Sutton Coldfield par.,
Warwickshire—dist., pop. 756; vil., 7 miles NE. of Bir-
mingham ; P.O.

Waliusgate, par., Lincolnshire, 920 ac., pop. 73;
Walmsgate Hall, seat, is 7 miles SE. of Louth.

Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.

Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from

Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)

Page 812 left column ... Page 813 left column

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.